Anyone Ever Bought Steaks Online?

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=36&RAND=24AK5245

Been thinking about trying this site out, but never bought steaks online before. Anyone have any experience with buying steaks online, before I drop $100 on a quality of meat I know nothing about? I’m sure they’re frozen which I can live with, but not sure if sticking to Costco is the better way to go.

my parents buy from Omaha steaks … they seem to like it.

If it’s a value to you I say go for it. Quality is pretty good and they have a good track record …

Thanks polo! Guess you’re not so bad afterall! :slight_smile:

About 5 or 6 years ago I got Omaha steaks delivered once a month as a Christmas present. The steaks are OK, not great. Spend your money on local grass fed beef. Better tasting and better for your health.

Costco.

I got Omaha Steaks as a gift and wasn’t super impressed. Choose well-marbled steaks at Costco, like ribeye or NY strips. Also look for ones that are butchered well; the butchering isn’t always top-notch at Costco. Dry-age them in the fridge at home. Great quality, especially for the price.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=36&RAND=24AK5245

Been thinking about trying this site out, but never bought steaks online before. Anyone have any experience with buying steaks online, before I drop $100 on a quality of meat I know nothing about? I’m sure they’re frozen which I can live with, but not sure if sticking to Costco is the better way to go.[/quote]

I’m not a fan of frozen steaks period. Honestly, unless you REALLY love your steaks, Costco is a better, faster, and cheaper choice.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Costco.

I got Omaha Steaks as a gift and wasn’t super impressed. Choose well-marbled steaks at Costco, like ribeye or NY strips. Also look for ones that are butchered well; the butchering isn’t always top-notch at Costco. Dry-age them in the fridge at home. Great quality, especially for the price. [/quote]

Kroger’s has some of the best butchers I’ve seen…unless the one I go to is an exception. I call them while at work and they have then ready to pick up by the time I get there.

I guess knowing how to speak to people helps also.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]andersons wrote:
Costco.

I got Omaha Steaks as a gift and wasn’t super impressed. Choose well-marbled steaks at Costco, like ribeye or NY strips. Also look for ones that are butchered well; the butchering isn’t always top-notch at Costco. Dry-age them in the fridge at home. Great quality, especially for the price. [/quote]

Kroger’s has some of the best butchers I’ve seen…unless the one I go to is an exception. I call them while at work and they have then ready to pick up by the time I get there.

I guess knowing how to speak to people helps also.[/quote]

Also, I’d imagine they’re more accomodating when they know someone buys 20+ pounds of steak at once.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]andersons wrote:
Costco.

Also, I’d imagine they’re more accomodating when they know someone buys 20+ pounds of steak at once.[/quote]

True…but they usually have to package them just right so I get the sales price. Some of these sales are “limited to two packages only”…so they dump 10+ steaks into one package.

I am just saying that because of the treatment there, I would continue to go there over Sam’s or Costco. They already know about how much marbling I want on them.

I went to HEB once and will never go back because they gave me the cheapest fattest cuts of meat they could find.

Omaha steaks are amazing from what I remember. Def worth it to have at least once in your life. They come in a styrofoam cooler with dry ice… Haven’t had any in years though lol.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Costco.

Well, no Krogers here.

Supermarkets like Ralph’s, Albertsons, Vons, Pavilions have crappy select grade beef. At least the last time I ever went in. Gelson’s and Bristol Farms have great beef, perfect butchering, and sky-high prices. So I like the quality/price value of Costco.

I’m usually in a hurry when I shop, or it’s after the butchers have left, so I haven’t asked for custom butchering, but I might. It’s an issue with filet mignons. But not so much with the ribeyes or NY strips.

I work at Albertsons in the meat department and don’t think the select grade beef is that bad. Then again, whenever i buy a steak i always pick the good stuff out of the back. You can find some well marbled select steaks when you are going through them everyday. They also send in some prime beef every once in awhile and we price it up as choice. Of course all of us employees buy almost all of it before the customers even see it. I guess you should be friendly to your meat man to get the good cuts for a good price.

I think most costco steaks are crap. They say it is choice, but it isn’t black angus certified choice. It’s a cheaper knock off brand. I also hate how they don’t have a service counter where you can pick out each individual steak. You are stuck with a package that has a few good looking steaks in it and a few crappy looking ones. This happens a lot especially with the filet mignons. They throw the end cut in with the center cuts which isn’t so bad, but they don’t trim the end cut which is way uneven.

That is true about the Costco filet mignons. I grill the good steaks, and make Thai black pepper steak or such with the end pieces.

However, I am a snob when it comes to beef, and I’ve always thought the select grade stuff was horrible. Black angus is supposed to have superior marbling, but I see Black angus all the time with next to no marbling. shrug

I’ve been finding really crappy meat at my Costco lately. It sucks because they’ve always had good meat but everything is half rotten now.

[quote]ron22 wrote:
I’ve been finding really crappy meat at my Costco lately. It sucks because they’ve always had good meat but everything is half rotten now.[/quote]

When I first started lifting I’d suffer through half bad turkey because I was too broke/cheap to buy new turkey. I don’t miss those days, lol.

Check this out if you’re interested in grass fed meat mailorder. EatWild - Farms That Ship

[quote]ironbull121270 wrote:
Check this out if you’re interested in grass fed meat mailorder. http://eatwild.com/products/farmsthatship.html[/quote]

x2. Either have a farmer ship it to you or go to the farm itself and pick it up yourself.

Omaha is decent, but certainly nothing that you can’t find elsewhere for a better price.

Also, the next time you thaw a steak look at the liquid that’s left behind: that juice is now out of your steak, never to be returned. Buy fresh if you can.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]ron22 wrote:
I’ve been finding really crappy meat at my Costco lately. It sucks because they’ve always had good meat but everything is half rotten now.[/quote]

When I first started lifting I’d suffer through half bad turkey because I was too broke/cheap to buy new turkey. I don’t miss those days, lol.[/quote]

Haha, sounds like me in college. But yea, when they charge you normal prices, you expect normal beef. Not that weird almost rotten shit.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Costco.

Grumble Grog no gor mak, Derious, nam dongy is tifts. Norma norma, dong door mak, lomelious ver pistant. Grumble Grumble.

V

[quote]andersons wrote:
However, I am a snob when it comes to beef, and I’ve always thought the select grade stuff was horrible. Black angus is supposed to have superior marbling, but I see Black angus all the time with next to no marbling. shrug [/quote]
So I just got the May issue of Trader Joe’s Fearless Flyer, and on p 3:

“True Black Angus Tri Tip Steaks”

"The past 25 years or so have seen a severe watering down of not only the Black Angus name, but of what are commonly perceived as Black Angus breeding stock. And this, unfortunately, has led to a watering down of public perception of exactly what Black Angus meat is…

“In a nutshell, once Black Angus became a recognized standard, cattle producers started cross-breeding cattle to produce more with black hides, then passing those off as Black Angus. We think that’s dishonest. Our supplier uses strict protocols to determine that the cattle they buy actually are Black Angus, which are known for their excellent marbling and tenderness…”

Just a little info for any other beef snobs out there. Got a package of this aging in my refrigerator right now.

EDIT: So the Black Angus tri-tip from Trader Joe’s was DELICIOUS. I grill-smoked it over mesquite.

I noticed it’s in nitrogen-flushed packaging (or whatever that is), and it ages nicely right in the original package.