T Nation

Anyone Else Pissed About Olympic Gymnastics?

You know…the more I hear about China the less I think of them…

OK, so I was watching women’s gymnastics tonight, and the announcers were talking about the 20 year old team captain for china…this is what one of the announcers said:

"She was taken away from her family at 3, and put into the olympic program. She would get to talk to her family maybe once per year. One day she called her family and said she wanted to go home. Her family knew what it would do for their status having her compete, so they told her ‘no you can’t come home’.

I mean seriously, wtf is wrong with this country? Talk about an inferiority complex. They take these kids away from their families when the kids are as young as 3, and then stick them in these olympic-factory programs…

Then when the girls gymnastics was on (oh yeah, all the chinese girls REALLY are 16 guys…yeah check out their freshly issued government passports…) they take the U.S.'s best girl on beam and basically ‘ice’ her by making her wait 15 minutes before they let her go. I know everyone has to wait for a couple minutes before starting their routine, but that was ridiculous. It’s not an excuse for falling off the beam, but it definitely helped…

Then if you noticed the announcers and analysts seem to be pegging what the Chinese would get for scores…and then it seemed like every time the U.S. went they’d get a score that was just a liiiittle bit lower than what everyone thought they should get.

It’s too bad China has such a piss-poor inferiority complex that they have to resort to this garbage to get some tainted gold. I’m not saying the U.S. girls were perfect last night, they did mess up some stuff, but it’s like the deck was stacked against them from the start. Still, congratulations to the girls for at least getting a silver out of it.

edit: OH, and by the way if anyone thinks those chinese girls were all 16…some of them are still losing their baby teeth. no lie.

yea its called communism, you can do that.

the funny thing is they arent even that good compared to other countries. i went to bed before it was over but i know the US placed silver (even with that girl falling twice) so im assuming China took gold cause they said Rom. wasnt that special but considering that our teams are doing this stuff willingly and arent in these programs where you basically live i think they may want to re-evaluate how effective their programs actually are considering how they arent taking anything by landslides or sweeps.

USA ALL THE WAY

You said what I was thinking man, especially about the newly issued passports to make them look older.
I know a lot of asian people look younger because of their builds. But some of the girls I’ve seen compete look like they are 12-13 tops.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
[/quote]

Unfortunately for the people of China… no, it isn’t.

I am no fan of communism… but the real heartlessness of the Chinese regime is exposed in their newfound embrace of capitalism, to such an extent that the poor have lost the services and protection of the state, without having gained democratic reforms or representation.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
You said what I was thinking man, especially about the newly issued passports to make them look older.
I know a lot of asian people look younger because of their builds. But some of the girls I’ve seen compete look like they are 12-13 tops.[/quote]

The Chinese have been pulling all sorts of stunts this Olympics… and the IOC just keeps saying that it is business as usual. It is a crock.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Rattler wrote:
I know a lot of asian people look younger because of their builds. But some of the girls I’ve seen compete look like they are 12-13 tops.

The Chinese have been pulling all sorts of stunts this Olympics… and the IOC just keeps saying that it is business as usual. It is a crock.[/quote]

The Olympics should have been here, plain and simple. I bet that American coach wishes so as well. That stuff doesn’t happen here.

The part where the announcer said “taken from their families at three years old, kicking and screaming…” caught my attention.

My fifteen year old was asking why they (the Chinese) did so well, particularly when the woman’s syncronized divers were on. I joked the government was holding their families hostage, and they would be executed if they did not perform well. Maybe that wasn’t too far from the truth. Crazy.

[quote]5.0 wrote:
The part where the announcer said “taken from their families at three years old, kicking and screaming…” caught my attention.

My fifteen year old was asking why they (the Chinese) did so well, particularly when the woman’s syncronized divers were on. I joked the government was holding their families hostage, and they would be executed if they did not perform well. Maybe that wasn’t too far from the truth. Crazy. [/quote]

There is a lot of things in China that the world doesn’t know about. Why do you think so many Chinese people move out? They don’t wanna be under the rule of that government. It’s not the the worst country in the world, but it’s not exactly fun either.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Unfortunately for the people of China… no, it isn’t.

I am no fan of communism… but the real heartlessness of the Chinese regime is exposed in their newfound embrace of capitalism, to such an extent that the poor have lost the services and protection of the state, without having gained democratic reforms or representation.

[/quote]

oh, theyve been watching too much MTV seems like the US has been rubbing off on em.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

the funny thing is they arent even that good compared to other countries. i went to bed before it was over but i know the US placed silver (even with that girl falling twice) so im assuming China took gold cause they said Rom. wasnt that special but considering that our teams are doing this stuff willingly and arent in these programs where you basically live i think they may want to re-evaluate how effective their programs actually are considering how they arent taking anything by landslides or sweeps.

USA ALL THE WAY[/quote]

It’s really too bad. I mean, if the U.S. girls had performed flawlessly I’m still not sure they would’ve won…China won by two points, that girls fall was only a .8 deduction, and the two out of bounds calls were minor as well, I still think China would’ve won. Which is complete B.S. as the announcers were noting that the US seemed to be getting points shaved off their scores.

You notice how the announcers said 'usually when it’s a good score the judges come back with the score quickly…her (I don’t remember who it was) routine was nearly flawless but this is still taking a while…" Then the score came back and it was like 16.9, when everyone said it should’ve been a low 17. Absolute B.S.

Same shit was happening with synchronized diving. That’s why I enjoy the events where there is a clear winner without human involvement (Swimming, track, sports etc.) So many biased votes…

[quote]Rattler wrote:
The Olympics should have been here, plain and simple. I bet that American coach wishes so as well. That stuff doesn’t happen here.[/quote]

I don’t agree that they should have been held in the US this year, but fucking china? If it takes 6 years to select a city, then how the fuck did they miss the fact that the pollution was so bad our athletes needed masks? Did they not realize that crapping in the middle of the street might not be accepted by other countries? How in the hell, with all the red tape that a city has to go through to host the olympics, did Beijing get it?

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

USA ALL THE WAY

It’s really too bad. I mean, if the U.S. girls had performed flawlessly I’m still not sure they would’ve won…China won by two points, that girls fall was only a .8 deduction, and the two out of bounds calls were minor as well, I still think China would’ve won. Which is complete B.S. as the announcers were noting that the US seemed to be getting points shaved off their scores.

You notice how the announcers said 'usually when it’s a good score the judges come back with the score quickly…her (I don’t remember who it was) routine was nearly flawless but this is still taking a while…" Then the score came back and it was like 16.9, when everyone said it should’ve been a low 17. Absolute B.S.[/quote]

those scummy ass chinese were probaly paying off the judges. whatever, let me have their B.S. calls and underage athletes cause we got Mike Phelps

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Same shit was happening with synchronized diving. That’s why I enjoy the events where there is a clear winner without human involvement (Swimming, track, sports etc.) So many biased votes…[/quote]

I can’t stand any sport with judges, then it’s too easy to rig things. Same problem with bodybuilding sometimes.

I like sports where it’s a clear winner, but every sport has a way of rigging the contests. But sans judges it’s a lot harder.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Rattler wrote:
The Olympics should have been here, plain and simple. I bet that American coach wishes so as well. That stuff doesn’t happen here.

I don’t agree that they should have been held in the US this year, but fucking china? If it takes 6 years to select a city, then how the fuck did they miss the fact that the pollution was so bad our athletes needed masks? Did they not realize that crapping in the middle of the street might not be accepted by other countries? How in the hell, with all the red tape that a city has to go through to host the olympics, did Beijing get it? [/quote]

Probably the same way salt lake got them…

Rattler wrote:

I don’t agree that they should have been held in the US this year, but fucking china? If it takes 6 years to select a city, then how the fuck did they miss the fact that the pollution was so bad our athletes needed masks? Did they not realize that crapping in the middle of the street might not be accepted by other countries? How in the hell, with all the red tape that a city has to go through to host the olympics, did Beijing get it? [/quote]

china really pushed for it because theyre trying to show the world they arent still 100 years behind everyone.

i think staging it there has both helped and hurt them in ways. they may be more modern but they still appear to have a very controlling government, facist almost especially with these training camps. you also can imagine how intense it was on their performers to put on that opening show. the discipline, everything theyre more like robots than people over there.

Rattler wrote:

I meant Toronto. It was probably the best place for them to be held. We need another tourist boom and it would have helped our economy big time. Not to mention it would have been safer and you wouldn’t have the Chinese govt holding judge’s families hostage (joke… lawl) Beijing is a joke.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Ha! It looks like we had the same idea at the same time…I started a similar post in the P&WI forum almost the exact same time.

I look through the forums to see if anybody had posted the same thing and there wasn’t… But mine has pictures so there!

They only care about the count for the gold metals too.

Probably consequences for anything less.

All I can think is that it could really suck to be a top athlete in China.