Anyone Else Hate Television?

And ESPN is fucking unwatchable now. They even ruined Baseball Tonight, which was the best show on there.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
belligerent wrote:
I used to think that people who admonished TV were just snobby assholes pretending to be too smart to be entertained…

I admonish my TV all the time, but it don’t listen. It just keeps on talking…

On the other hand, I really like Discovery Channel’s Planet Earth in HD.

[/quote]

Planet Earth is amazing. I DVR every episode and watch them over and over. definately worth watching.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:
you guys don’t actually believe that “man vs. wild” shit is real do you… it is all researched, planned and set up ahead of time…

[/quote]

Yeah we know, I think the Bear Haters send out newsletters about once a week now. I still think the show is cool, staged or not, bad info or not. I mean, if your dumb enough to use something you saw on tv and think it somehow applies to real life…well, please don’t reproduce.

And I have to watch it because my wife has a crush on the dude. I think that’s why he takes his clothes off in every other episode.

TV is much better with ReplayTV or some such DVR. Record and watch only what you want. Skip commercials with a push of the button.

I hate all the crime scene shows. I always root for the killers to get away with the crime, but alas…

I do like “Dancing With the Stars” and “So You Think You Can Dance”. Those broads are smokin hot, and they don’t they dont fill the show with worthless chatter. Just long legs and short skirts.

FitTV now has “Insider Training” (hosted by the always sexy Gabrielle Reece) and “Art of the Athelete”.

Oxygen has “FightGirls” and I think its going to get better with each season.

G4 has “Ninja Warrior”, and if you haven’t seen the “Women of Ninja Warrior” specials then you don’t know what you’re missing.

There are good shows out there, its just a matter of stumbling across them.

…here in Italy it’s even worse : we get some american shows “revisited” for italian audience,this means that the shows are totally “watered down” !!!
so,not only we import some “stupid” shows but the exciting part of the shows are removed! WTF ?!?!?

[quote]iflyboats wrote:
you guys don’t actually believe that “man vs. wild” shit is real do you… it is all researched, planned and set up ahead of time…
[/quote]
S.E.R.E. Its all real technique though definitely planned out to ensure good footage and they aren’t wasting any time. It would be stupid to produce an unresearched “reality” show. So much can go wrong in the situations he puts himself in.

Besides this it’s just plain good fun.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve never seen it, but if it’s at all like MTV’s The Wild boys, I would watch.

For those of you who have never seen The Wild Boys, it was Steve O and Chris Ponitus from Jackass travelling around doing a mock nature show where they basically ate strange food, threw up and let animals bite them on the ass. A lot of the situations were fake, but still funny as hell. My IQ probably dropped a few points from watching it, but it was worth it. Check out Season 2 & 3 on Netflix.

I concur. I do turn on the tube to watch the occasional documentary or to fire up the Xbox. As others have stated pretty much all the informational channels kick ass. I still read books but haven’t been able to do any recreational reading because school is just so hectic right now and I don’t see it letting up anytime soon.

As for everything else I usually download (i.e. bootleg) or use Netflix (TV shows, cartoons, movies, etc.). But now instead of being addicted to TV I’m on the internet ALL the time. I just dropped my marijuana habit for cocaine.

God bless the internet…

I hate it. Always have. Always will. Don’t consider myself smarter or better, just not a fan. I do watch foodtv sometimes, the Sopranos, baseball and football sometimes, maybe 4 hours per week. Problem is I have 3 young kids. They like to watch it a lot and the wife and I let them. We can judge their behaviour based on how much and what they watch. If it gets too bad, we ban the show. They totally emulate what they see.

They mostly watch gay ass Disney and Nickelodeon shows. They are totally unwatchable. Every 8 year old on every show is interested in the opposite gender. They’re making kids grow up so fast. Even more disturbing is that the ‘father’ on every kid’s show and all tv sitcoms is always a bumbling idiot and usually overweight, while the mom is smokin’ hot, thin and smarter than the dad.

Watch one episode of Drake and Josh on Nickelodeon or the Suite Life of Zach and Cody on Disney and see if you don’t puke your brains out. We’re hoping (praying) that the kids realize how stupid it all is and grow out of it. Until then, I gotta bring the smackdown once a month or so and unplug the tv and the computers until they re-learn I ain’t one of the goofball ‘dads’ on tv.

Television in the UK isn’t that bad.

The goofball dad started way before any Nickelodeon programming. I just don’t know exactly where and I’ve had this discussion before. Al Bundy and Homer Simpson are probably the most popular and the ones that pushed the bumbling dad to the extreme, but even Cliff Huxtable had an air of goofiness to him (Of course some of that character comes from Cosby’s comedy “Himself,” like “Chocolate Cake for Breakfast.”), but it started even before that. Look at Jed Clampett.

I think it was a slow process after seeing years of straight and buttoned-up dads like Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady, and Steve Douglas.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
I admonish my TV all the time, but it don’t listen. It just keeps on talking…

On the other hand, I really like Discovery Channel’s Planet Earth in HD.

[/quote]

Planet Earth is a fvcking AWESOME show. I literally lose myself in it whenever I watch. One of those very rare “good” things on TV.

I don’t know if its just me,most of these new cartoons for kids seem like the makers are on a bad trip of acid or some shit. WTF?

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, people believe the craziest things. Getting all those birds on the african plain to flock like that … crazy.

I’m pretty much down to new episodes of The Shield, The Wire and Man vs Wild. Once the new episodes dry up, I move on to all the good books out there that need reading. I think that works out to somewhere around 30 hours of TV…annually. I don’t even watch the news anymore. I get all my news online or from the paper.

No cable here. Just internet and a DVD player.

Internet for research.

DVD player to watch a movie about once per week.

TV absolutely sucks. My life is MUCH better off without it. :slight_smile:

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
Television in the UK isn’t that bad.[/quote]

Huh?! You get a ton of our stuff, mostly the worst, and then loads of incredibly trashy and mind-numbing reality TV. Reality TV is even bigger in Britain than the US, not a good sign of societal health, no offense.

I agree with you. At times there are some interesting shows on the History channel or Discovery or something, but in the end I don’t think that it’s worth the price of cable or sattelite. Boxing and soccer are usually good because the commercials are at a minimum.

TV?

Bah.

Give me a DVD player and an interenet connection (so I can keep up with what’s coming out when) and I’m set. Planet Earth is on DVD peoples! You don’t need Discovery channel for that.

And yes, the DVD version rocks.

for every handful of bad shows there is maybe 1 or 2 that are educational and worth your time watching in every country.

the worst time wasting tv shows i have ever seen were in japan. it was unbearable. definitely several notches below regis and whoever that annoying chick is.

f