Anyone Else Hate Television?

I used to think that people who admonished TV were just snobby assholes pretending to be too smart to be entertained… but lately, just in the last year or so, I have come to appreciate how stupid television really is. With a few exceptions it’s just truly degenerate. I seriously can’t believe that grown ass adults over 25 watch American Idol. WTF

Basically agree with you. I don’t have one for the majority of the year, largely because most stuff on there is brain-numbingly stupid. That goes for TV news of all stripes too.

But there are a few great shows, which I get on DVD or watch online. South Park, Arrested Development, the Wire, finally bought Band of Brothers. Others would throw in the Sopranos, Lost, or Deadwood, have yet to watch those. So it’s not all bad. But most of it is retarded, yeah.

While getting my car worked on last week, I had to sit through Regis and Kelly and one of those “entertainment celebrity” shows. I think my IQ dropped about 30 points during my 2 hour wait.

However, I wouldn’t mind checking out that “America’s Got Talent” show, just to see if The Hoff pounds booze straight out of the bottle and falls off the stage. In fact, unintentional comedy should be the only reason to watch most of what’s on TV these days.

I don’t Hate television…

I just like it better when it's not around.

Sports, sitcoms, Discovery Channel and A&E are pretty much all that’s worth watching anymore. I don’t hate the medium, though.

DB

I like Discover, History, and some TLC. Most mainstream shows just bore or irritate the hell out of me.

I all about what you enjoy and get out of it. The internet has much more garbage on it than any cable package, yet here we are.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
…finally bought Band of Brothers.[/quote]

That is a FANTASTIC series. It’s definite T material.

The little spoiled bitches of today (male and female) should have their eyes propped open and forced to watch it for days on end.

The sitcoms are absolutely unwatchable.

There is plenty of good stuff though on the History Channel, Discovery, Discovery HD, A&E, HBO, sometimes Showtime, etc.

But even the “news” now – even the dedicated cable news channels – have become simply unwatchable.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Sports, sitcoms, Discovery Channel and A&E are pretty much all that’s worth watching anymore. I don’t hate the medium, though.

DB[/quote]

W3RD!
DO what I did and cancel your cable/satellite service. It will give you more time to read,…
train
and fornicate.>:D

BTW: The tv that I do have serves as a secondary computer monitor.

:slight_smile:

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

DB[/quote]

NCIS, Criminal minds, The CSI’s, and Mythbusters are part of the slowly diminishing sector of shows that keep you thinking and entertained. Unlike American Idol.

CSPAN II–the only station worth watching.

I learn more from watching public figures talk than I could ever imagine from reading or watching mainstream “news”.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I used to think that people who admonished TV were just snobby assholes pretending to be too smart to be entertained… but lately, just in the last year or so, I have come to appreciate how stupid television really is. With a few exceptions it’s just truly degenerate. I seriously can’t believe that grown ass adults over 25 watch American Idol. WTF[/quote]

Naw, I love television. You just need to get a DVR or TIVO. Then you record anything worth a damn and just commit yourself to only watch what is on your hard drive and never channel surf. Por Exemplo:

O’Reilly Factor (I skip through everything dumb until it’s 15 mins long a day then I laugh at how big a moron he is)
South Park
Dirty Jobs
Mythbusters
Ninja Warrior
Journal Editorial Report
Britt Hume (the only news worth a damn on TV)
Man vs. Wild
The Shield
Then I skip through the guide on the history channel one week in advance and pick out anything interesting such as the Revolution.

What you’re left with is just under 10 hours a week of TV that is worth your time.

mike

im a fan of Discovery. i also like Heroes! on NBC even tho i guess that might be over the top for you all. Scarred is pretty cool too. Have any of you seen Rob & Big? I know its MTV and its probably considered mainstream… but its funny as shit.

I just watch sports and sometimes The Simpsons, Family Guy, some of the Adult Swim line up. Some of the HBO series like Deadwood and The Sopranos are worth watching but I don’t have cable any more, so don’t follow them regularly. My parents have Direct TV and when I go home to visit I flip through their 300-500 channels and there is absolutely nothing on.

But I don’t hate TV per se. Most of the content is not worth watching, but most books aren’t worth reading, most people aren’t worth talking too. For me anyway. I don’t watch American Idol, but I don’t think I’m better than someone who does. It’s just a difference in taste.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
Have any of you seen Rob & Big? I know its MTV and its probably considered mainstream… but its funny as shit.[/quote]

You mean the real life Ambiuously Gay Duo? I’m sure it won’t be long before their sex tape is on the internet.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
im a fan of Discovery. i also like Heroes! on NBC even tho i guess that might be over the top for you all. Scarred is pretty cool too. Have any of you seen Rob & Big? I know its MTV and its probably considered mainstream… but its funny as shit.[/quote]

I believe shows like rob & big are why this post was created. But I have to admit heroes can be attention grabbing. As men you have to remember most shows are made to capture the female audience.

Espn pretty much has the male 25 - 50 year old population locked down. Before anybody argues with me about this please check the ratings. Being that these shows are created first to attract women, then young people, and men last, they will appeal to you less. The shows you do not like you probably can’t understand as much as you can’t understand women.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I used to think that people who admonished TV were just snobby assholes pretending to be too smart to be entertained… [/quote]

I admonish my TV all the time, but it don’t listen. It just keeps on talking…

On the other hand, I really like Discovery Channel’s Planet Earth in HD.

you guys don’t actually believe that “man vs. wild” shit is real do you… it is all researched, planned and set up ahead of time…

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
coolnatedawg wrote:
im a fan of Discovery. i also like Heroes! on NBC even tho i guess that might be over the top for you all. Scarred is pretty cool too. Have any of you seen Rob & Big? I know its MTV and its probably considered mainstream… but its funny as shit.

I believe shows like rob & big are why this post was created. But I have to admit heroes can be attention grabbing. As men you have to remember most shows are made to capture the female audience.

Espn pretty much has the male 25 - 50 year old population locked down. Before anybody argues with me about this please check the ratings. Being that these shows are created first to attract women, then young people, and men last, they will appeal to you less. The shows you do not like you probably can’t understand as much as you can’t understand women.[/quote]

haha. no doubt thats why this was created. but its not something i go out of my way to watch, however, if it is on, i will sit and watch it if i have nothing better to do.

needless to say, i tend to not watch TV anyway other than Heroes b/c i dislike just about everything else. the news is all a bunch of shit these days so thats not worth it.