T Nation

Anyone Eat Only 2 Meals A Day?

Any of you guys eat 2 big meals a day? I’m just curious to see what your day consists of.

I’ve found eating 2 meals a day a having some snack (like almonds) during the day is how I’m the most consistent eating for my goals.

Intermittent Fasting & Strength Training

Yep, and it’s working a treat…

5.am - 1g of A Carnitine, 1g HMB, 2-3 strong coffees
5.30.am - cardio 45 mins

8.am - 1.g HMB

12.pm
3.g Leucine
40 - 50g protein, same carbs
15-20.g fats
Around 500 - 600 cals

4…pm
5.g Creatine
1.g HMB
6.g Citruline M
1.g A Carnitine

4.30.pm - 5.30.pm
Train

5.30.pm
3.g Leuicine, electrolyte mix (15g)

6.pm
100 -120.g protein
200 - 300g carbs (depending on workout volume)
20-30.g fat
Around 1500 - 2000 cals

Total around 2000 - 2500 cals a day
Training
Monday - Chest and upper back
Tuesday - squat day
Wednesday - sled recovery work in PM
Thursday - Shoulders and arms
Friday - Muay Thai
No cardio on Saturday which is dead- lift/posterior chain day + up cals to around 3500

HMB - used as anti-catabolic + doesn’t spike insulin
C Malate/creatine for work capacity
A Carnitine - brain function/fat burning
Leucine with every solid meal and PWO - helps with anabolism

Carbs reduced to around 120 on non-weight training days (30 lunch/90 dinner), fats increased to make up cals

Am 180lbs and re-comping to same weight - less bf (currently between 12-14%, upper 2 rows of abs but slight lower ab fat/back fat)

Energy good, workouts solid, fat steadily going (following this plan for 4 weeks, I usually do less weights and train Muay Thai 5-6 times a week - aiming to get stronger and leaner in the 175-180lbs weight class) I live in Bangkok by the way, If doing Muay Thai AM and PM, I have a piece of fruit or two and 3g Leucine after AM session + up my carbs by about another 50-80g (20+ lunch, rest at dinner)

I’ve been eating this way for around 8 months (manipulating macro depending on phase/goal/training) and have gone from 163lbs (visible abs) to where I am now. Around 10-15lbs lean mass.

FOR ME - easy to follow sustainable diet that allows big satisfying meals in the evening. I often eat breakfast at the weekends if I go out with GF and young daughter (or staying at a hotel with buffet breakfast included) and don’t major in the minors. Suits my psychological profile in regards to food.

Hope this helps

Moog

If I don’t eat every 3 - 4 hours, I feel like I have the flu.

I eat two big meals…and then eat smaller meals the rest of the day.

I pretty much each just 1 meal a day.

5:00AM: train with a little casien hydroslate before and after.

8-9:00AM: Coffee

about 11:00AM: veggies ( broccoli, kale, sauerkraut, peppers and such)

12:00PM: long walk, stretching/prehab

Afternoon 2-3:00PM: fish oil and some bone broth

5:30-7:30PM: Something like
-1 pound of beef with cheese and yogurt
-some chicken or fish with veggies and maybe a potato
-a bowl of nut butter, butter, and baking chocolate
-decaf coffee with 1/3 cup of cream

That probably isn’t a good sign for overall health.

All four of these, right? Cuz if you go to bed on a cup of coffee after that day of eating, I’m incredibly jealous of your ability to not eat.

Yes all 4. I’m getting 3000+ calories a day typically right now.

I actually made almond flour-coconut oil bread yesterday and ate the loaf at about 2000 calories on top of a pound of beef, 2 skin on chicken thighs, and some chocolate.

Thank goodness, I thought you were prepping for the cover of Shape magazine or something.

Some people want to look like Justin beiber as the pre-photoshop underwear model, and that’s ok. I’m just not one of them.

I used to fast with keto and I’d eat one large meal at lunch. About 1500± calories, then a smaller one at dinner… 500-700 calories. Nothing else but coffee, 1.5/2 gallons of water, and supplements. Went from 381 over all to 311 like this.

I had a short phase at the end of last year where I did Gironda’s steak and eggs diet, which was two meals a day and worked out around 1800-1900 kcals. I found it worked very well for me, probably due to the fact (a) I have done some form of IF for years now so not eating until lunch was easy, and (b) I function well on low carb/keto eating so steak and eggs was perfect, and © and I am a typical endomorph so longer periods between meals suits my body type.

There is also something quite alpha male about devouring so much red meat so maybe there was a small physiological boost in there too.

[quote=“isdatnutty, post:1, topic:225599”]
Any of you guys eat 2 big meals a day? I’m just curious to see what your day consists of.[/quote]
I’m generally up around 7. Breakfast around 10 or 11, train with a workout drink around 3ish, dinner at 6 or 7, shake before bed around 10.

I never gave it a ton of thought or did it deliberately, but I recently started logging and realized I’m basically doing two big meals a day, with a pre-bed shake, workout nutrition, and sometimes a small something before training.

I do know that I can’t handle intermittent fasting. If I go 8+ waking hours without eating, I binge whenever I do start eating. And eating something every 2-3 hours always felt impractical, very unnatural, and restrictive to me, even while working from home where it “shouldn’t” be an issue.

Lunch
6 eggs

Dinner
1 tupperware of chicken meat and bones

Snack
4 slices bread and ham

This is considered a lot of calories for me as I’m cutting.

Hi Chris

When I’m on a lean mass phase this is often an approach I use on weight training days to ensure an adequate caloric surplus…Currently as I’m re-comping I’m sticking to and having success with my current protocol (original slightly long winded reply to OP). FOR ME, I’ve found that unless doing a high volume training session of over an hour, my current pre and post workout supplementation work well:
Pre
5.g Creatine
1.g HMB
6.g Citruline M
1.g A Carnitine

As I eat a decent amount of carbs I don’t currently see the need to ingest them during my work out. May I inquire to the composition of your current workout shake in relation to your training/goals at present?

Cheers

Moog

[quote=“moogweasel, post:15, topic:225599”]
May I inquire to the composition of your current workout shake in relation to your training/goals at present?[/quote]
Currently training to “build momentum” before pushing for fat loss/recomp by June. Three full body workouts per week, 25-30 total sets per workout, plus 15 minutes cardio at the end of each session.

1 scoop Plazma with 5g creatine before training (with Indigo-3G shortly before that), 1 scoop Plazma during training. I didn’t mention it, but non-training days are lower carb and calorie (dropping the Plazma and reducing or removing carbs from the meals).

This. Do whatever makes it easiest to hit your daily calories and macros. Your eating pattern is more psychologically important that physiologically important.

I wish I could but eating 700g of carbs on low days is just simply impossible in that few of meals and not feeling like death

Thank you for taking the time to respond Chris.

Appreciated

Moog

My mom once referred to eating six meals per day as “a sentence”. A long time ago I would do that and looking back on it, it was indeed a sentence.

I have three moderate meals and one or two mini-meals/snacks. I eat like this because of my hunger pattern. When I prepped, it was three meals and two snacks, one of which was so small I sometimes just combined it with my breakfast.

I don’t know how some guys assign themselves six meals a day, but if they like that, it’s fine. I just don’t know how the hell anyone gets stuff done with near- constant interruption. I once heard an interview with Justin Harris in which he said he brought four whole meals to work. I like the guy, but I couldn’t help think to myself that if I was such a guy’s employer/boss I’d want to punch and/or yell at him. Same goes for when I watch Evan Centopani’s meal prep videos in which he fritters away entire days cooking, cleaning, and eating and shackled to his kitchen. I’m not sure how I’d handle enraged 270-or-so-pound behemoths if I were to actually yell at or punch one. :slight_smile: