Anyone Eat Mutton?

Anyone ever eat it? I’m talking about a lamb that’s 3 years old.

Mi amigos from the other side of the pond…holla !!

I’ve never been a big fan of mutton, I’ve had it a couple times and it always just seemed like shitty steak.

I don’t eat mutton at all.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I’ve never been a big fan of mutton, I’ve had it a couple times and it always just seemed like shitty steak.[/quote]

Only thing worse than shitty steak is shitty chicken.

The rancher I use said he would cut it up into 6 inch strips and it’d be okay for stew…but…unless I grew up cooking and eating it that it would suck.

I got out the Renton Light and hope to hear from the old pervert/gourmand.

Its not that good in my opinion, if you have other options I would look into them.

Not a mutton fan.

But holy crap I love my lamb <3

Went over to the girlfriends house the other day and was given a MONTSTEROUS lamb shank with about a fist sized portion of meat.

I was so happy! Not something a student can have so often!

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Not a mutton fan.

But holy crap I love my lamb <3

Went over to the girlfriends house the other day and was given a MONTSTEROUS lamb shank with about a fist sized portion of meat.

I was so happy! Not something a student can have so often![/quote]

My grandma spoils me crazy when I go over.

I devoured like 2 or 3 full racks of lamb when I went over for lunch once. Good damn I miss home.

[quote]sen say wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
I’ve never been a big fan of mutton, I’ve had it a couple times and it always just seemed like shitty steak.

Only thing worse than shitty steak is shitty chicken.

The rancher I use said he would cut it up into 6 inch strips and it’d be okay for stew…but…unless I grew up cooking and eating it that it would suck.
[/quote]

mutton is bit ‘gamier’. I like it, but then again I practically grew up on it. Some useful stuff would be:

• Rosemary, salt, pepper
  • coriander garlic salt blended with a little yogurt as a dipping sauce

there are millions of application in south asian and turkish cuisine.

its gamey so you need some lighter flavor with it.

I only ate mutton once when I was on holiday in Ireland and made myself some Irish stew in a youth hostel. As far as I can remember the stew was pretty tasty.

Yes but not enough!

Rather than make a new thread ill post here.

Anyone have any opinions with regard to mutton as a staple of their diet? I can get shoulder of mutton about a 3rd of the price and taste wise its really similar to lamb an definitely not as tough as it is sometimes made out to be, i absolutly love it!

Lamb ftw. Its bloody Australian.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I’ve never been a big fan of mutton, I’ve had it a couple times and it always just seemed like shitty steak.[/quote]

x2.

It’s been popular in Asia because for different reasons certain groups of people avoid pork and beef. I personally can’t stand the smell and taste of mutton. Even with lamb it depends how its made, lamp chops I’ll try, lamb stew/rogan ghosh etc, no bloody thanks!

I’ve never had mutton, but I eat a lot of “gamey” meat, primarily venison. Just off the top of my head try seasoning a roast or other large cut with garlic, paprika, cumin or corriander, salt, black pepper and olive oil and braise in a heavy pot with with crushed tomatoes, stock and a bay leaf. Serve with something like tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber, onion, garlic, lemon juice)and some flat bread and feta cheese. My guess is that it will be pretty awesome.