T Nation

Anyone Drink a Protein Shake During the Night?

For the past couple months since I wake up around 5am to go pee (from drinking a pre-bed shake), I use this time to drink a pre-made shake.

the other day I was out of protein and woke up ready for it (starving it felt like) and I didn’t have it. Didn’t realize how accustomed I am to it now. It’s very satisfying.

just wondering who else out there does this?

I tried to do it for a while, but I don’t consistently wake up during the night make a habit out of it. It would usually end up being a first thing in the morning shake.

I guess I’m a heavy sleeper.

I saw “anyone drink a protein shake during…” and assumed the conclusion would be “sex?” For the record, the answer would’ve been, “once.”

Moving on…I would do it if I woke up naturally and if I could afford anything other than whey. I’ll drink water before bed and I still won’t wake up to pee for at least 7 hours.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I saw “anyone drink a protein shake during…” and assumed the conclusion would be “sex?” For the record, the answer would’ve been, “once.”
[/quote]

Lol must have been a good session. I would personally have gone with some BCAAs and hit a solid meal afterwards, but to each his own :slight_smile:

Anyway, with the original point, yes I do drink a 30g shake of casein protein during the night. I cannot remember the last time I went a full night without waking up to use the restroom. Often I will wake up twice. Maybe I have an enlarged prostate or whatever they talk about on those commercials where the old men piss too much.

Anyway, I wouldn’t ever purposely wake myself just to drink a protein shake. But I figure if I’m up anyway, I might as well.

Yes…during sex, BCAAs are necessary to prevent muscle breakdown.

I did for a long time until I just decided it wasn’t worth it. Between getting up fixing/drinking the shake and getting back to sleep it would take me over an hour sometimes. The sleep is more important if you aren’t getting a full 8 hours.

I just take 40 grams of casein before bed and 20 grams of whey with Gatorade immediately when I wake up.

DD- you could pre-make the shake :shrug:

granted I just use whey and about 10g BCAAs, so it sits just fine without re-mixing.

I mainly wake up every morning because the GF gets up that early and wakes me up.

i take a casein shake with about 10 grams of glutaime right before bed usually keeps me good till morning.

I did it for a while too…but I like having a solid 6-9 hours of sleep instead.

It is pretty easy to have the powder all ready to go with a glass of water/milk ready to rock!

I’ve seen better results personally just having a large meal 45min before sleeping and another on for b-fast

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I did for a long time until I just decided it wasn’t worth it. Between getting up fixing/drinking the shake and getting back to sleep it would take me over an hour sometimes. The sleep is more important if you aren’t getting a full 8 hours.

I just take 40 grams of casein before bed and 20 grams of whey with Gatorade immediately when I wake up.[/quote]

I’m going to just start taking casein at all times. I want to say it doesn’t even matter if you go with casein instead of whey upon rising. If the issue is ‘speed’ of absorption, why not just take 10g BCAA, then some casein about 20 min later?

I don’t know…

not getting 7-8 hours of sleep straight (no interruptions/waking) will screw me up way more than having a lack of food for a few hours, i eat a big solid meal with protein from beef/eggs/fish 2 hours before sleep

Been discussed many times. General consensus is that uninterrupted sleep is superior; and the guys who did it never noticed a difference.

Anyhow, during sleep you don’t burn many calories, and you burn most of your calories from fat. So the catabolism issue just isn’t an issue at all.

No one I know whose done it has noticed any anabolism. Of course, those same guys take pre-bed shakes, so that’s enough.