T Nation

Anyone Do Isometric Pulls?

I was wondering if anyone does any form of isometric deadlifts, and if so what recomendations would you have?

Im currently doing WS4SB, with on ME day, and one DE day.

Last week I did 335 for 3 reps, but this wasn’t a true max. I was thinking I could put on 350 and go for 3, or I could put on 400 and try to do an isometric, and if it moves then i’ll do 400 for 1.

I think im weakeast from the floor, or shin height and thats why i thought a maximal isometric would help.

On my DE day, i did speed pulls with 270 for 8x3.

So if I do an iso, how should i warm up to it? Would this work

185x5
235x3
275x3
315x3
ISOMETRIC

rest 5 min

350 x 3 (max)

So what do you guys think? Should I try something new, or just go for a new 3rm at 350?

I think im weakeast from the floor, or shin height and thats why i thought a maximal isometric would help.

Do you think this because the bar starts to move faster as you stand up? Before changing anything I would look at technique to check for flaws in your starting postion, hips too high, hips too low. Is your grip strength adequate, do you use straps? How strong is your midsection?

Isometrics may help you, I have not used them yet but I believe some others have. You may try moving to heavy singles for a while to see if that helps you off the floor.

Do you sprint or jump in training? Do you do olympic variants?

You could warm up for deads with highpulls. A fast start is not a bad thing in the deadlift. You have to create your own momentum in this lift as no stretch reflex is available.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

I recommend using yielding ISOs for the most part, where you hold the weight at a certain point, as opposed to straining against an immovable external resistance. It’s easier to quantify progress. I think holding them at about knee-level for 5-10 seconds works well.

I’ve tried a few isometric pulls on my 3rd attempt in comptition a few times… Can’t say I’ve seen a massive carryover :stuck_out_tongue:

Really low rack pulls (like plates 2-3 inches off the floor) are AWESOME for off the floor strength.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I’ve tried a few isometric pulls on my 3rd attempt in comptition a few times… Can’t say I’ve seen a massive carryover :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Heheh. I think we’ve all done that once or twice.

you should decrease the weight on your speed deadlifts to no more than 60% of your max. I would not do any isometric deadlifts off the floor, you want to move the weight fast off of the floor, the isometric could cause you to develop bad habits

Really? How? It’s much more likely the isometric will instill proper form in the first part of the pull, since he’ll be maintaing it for much longer.