Anyone Do Club or Bar Security?

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
MaximusB wrote:

Dude if you have half a brain

That appears to be his problem.[/quote]

I know what you mean, and maybe I jumped the gun, but he clearly has some fascination with crime, and the notion of a gun being involved just makes it ALOT worse.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Are you just making these threads because you are looking into a new career? I know you made that military thread. I’m just curious.[/quote]

Yea im trying to figure out something…getting a job thats actually worth going to seems impossibe nowadays.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Big_Dave wrote:
First, since you mentioned a gun you don’t have the personality to do that type of work.

Secondly, I have worked both. I rarely ever got into a fight and if I did it was always because someone attacked me first. If you wish to be good at a job like that you have to have the right personality and temperment. You can diffuse most situations with your words and body language, which is always the best policy. Mainly it is checking I.D’s and keeping the crowd safe from douchebags.

Lastly, before you consider it, I’ve been hit in the head with a pool stick, had pool balls thrown at me, chairs thrown at me, threatened with a knife and have had groups of dudes waiting outside a bar to kick my ass all because I told them they had crossed the line and it was time to leave. I never once even thought about having a gun, so take from that what you will.

AGREED,

You do not have the personality to successfully handle a job like this. You are too much of a cowboy, starting threads about prison and violence. If you get a job like this, it will surely add to the already very high probability you will get in serious trouble.

You are doing your paper right now, not sure how much you have to do, but I had 3 years and it aint fun. You think this sucks now? Wait til your stupidity gets you into trouble, and you are in a 6x9.

I am not trying to talk shit to you, but honestly I met tons of guys like you while locked up. Thinking it made them tough. Dude if you have half a brain you will learn from your already made mistake. Wise up dude. Just so you know, if you have a felony and get caught POSESSING a firearm (not even discharging it), you get an automatic 5 years in FED prison with NO good time credit and also NO halfway house. That means you are doing every day of 5 years, a silencer gives you 5 more totaling 10 yrs. Stop thinking like this ok. [/quote]

Well i got a misdemeanor, thats what I plead to, but I catch what you are saying. Im just so frustrated with life right now where virtually nothings off the table when it comes to making money.

I know what you mean, but a misdemeanor is much better than a felly. You could probably expunge a misdemeanor in a year or so in state court. Just keep plugging away at something you like.

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
I worked as a doorman at a show club in Hawaii, then moved to Idaho. We would break up fights about two times a weekend, but about twice a month the hothead brawlers would turn around to fight us. I did that for one year. It felt pretty cool and high & mighty for the first month, then it ended up being just a helluva lot of standing and staring. I don’t think I would enjoy to do it again. Once you get some sort of authority, you feel good 'n proud, but when the thrill wears off, it is just a job like any other IMO.[/quote]

this is so true…I loved it at first. The authority, the girls, etc but it really does get old fast. I’m leaving as soon as I find something better.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
Speaking of guns… I work club security here in TN and they just passed a law allowing individuals to carry concealed firearms into bars/clubs. Seriously, what the fuck?

Anyways it’s pretty much what everyone else described. You can usually just diffuse the situation, tell them they are done for the night but hope to see them tomorrow etc etc and yes fights do happen, and they tend to suck because most of the time you will just get sucker punched. You REALLY can’t throw the first punch b/c you will get sued out the ass. So if you are a temperate person, charismatic, and able to handle yourself in sticky situations, you should be good to go.

And yah, bar/club security is definitely not allowed to wear a firearm. You can go with an ASP and mace if you choose but that’s about it. There’s no way I would wear a gun anyways, that would get snatched so fast.

If it’s true that law is insane are you still going to refrain from carrying a gun even with the new law?

For everybody else I believe michigan gun laws are a little different with all the patrons packing they probably require security to carry.[/quote]

I honestly have no desire to carry a gun, I think the fewer the guns the better. If anything the career bouncers I work with will get them and I won’t worry about it. That’s just too much liability for me.

People try to sue you just for hitting them in self defense and it’s a major pain in the ass. I can’t imagine the ordeal if you bust out a 9mm on them.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Big_Dave wrote:
First, since you mentioned a gun you don’t have the personality to do that type of work.

Secondly, I have worked both. I rarely ever got into a fight and if I did it was always because someone attacked me first. If you wish to be good at a job like that you have to have the right personality and temperment. You can diffuse most situations with your words and body language, which is always the best policy. Mainly it is checking I.D’s and keeping the crowd safe from douchebags.

Lastly, before you consider it, I’ve been hit in the head with a pool stick, had pool balls thrown at me, chairs thrown at me, threatened with a knife and have had groups of dudes waiting outside a bar to kick my ass all because I told them they had crossed the line and it was time to leave. I never once even thought about having a gun, so take from that what you will.

How do you know what kind of personality I have and you dont know me? A lot of places wont hire you if you cant be strapped. Being strong and able to fight is one thing, but you always got to take ito account that the other person has a weapon.[/quote]

You’re absolutely right, I don’t know your personality very well, but from the threads I have read it’s just a hunch.

Being strong and being able to fight are not the most important qualities to being a successful bouncer. They two most important qualities to have are being personable and disarming. If people like you even when you’re throwing them out then you’re good at your job.

I don’t know about Michigan clubs and bars, but I’ve worked in some high end establishments in both Orange County and Los Angeles and the last thing they want is some cowboy with a gun.

Best of luck to you, but I would encourage you to go to college and seek a career.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Eddie_would_tow wrote:

this is so true…I loved it at first. The authority, the girls, etc but it really does get old fast. I’m leaving as soon as I find something better.[/quote]

Politics will fill the void. I crack myself up

I do. The place I work is a college bar, so it’s relatively chill. People always ask me if I’ve kicked anyone’s ass lately, but they miss the whole point of security: you’re there to PREVENT trouble, not to cause it. That being said, you need to be able to kick someone’s ass when necessary.

Weapons seem like a very bad idea to me. As mentioned, someone could snatch it and use it against you. But the most dangerous part in my mind is the legal aspect. People are sue-happy these days.

Take this for what it’s worth. I’m not making a career out of this, just trying to make some money.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
MaximusB wrote:

Dude if you have half a brain

That appears to be his problem.[/quote]

I don’t even know why he keeps posting. It’s clear nobody enjoys his posts, or him.

wow up to 10 years for just carrying a gun? God damn.

On a side note, this thread reminds me of the scene in Rise of the Footsoldier when the dude works as a doorman and stabs patrons in the ass and hits them with a pole on their head when they mouth off, lol.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
What is the job like? [/quote]

Depending on your personality, it could mostly consist of beating on women.