T Nation

Anyone Been Killed Doing Squats?

Has anyone ever been killed while doing squats? By falling forward and getting crushed under the bar? Or seriously injured? Any other ways to seriously hurt yourself with heavy weights?

Am asking to make sure I know what to avoid. Although I have lifted heavy for 14 years without a problem. Here and there I’ve seen some injuries. Like Ed Coan blowing out his knee. Some guy somehow letting the bar slip out of his hands on a heavy bench press. Some guy missing a heavy bench and using too much of an arc motion causing the weight to land on his head. (Spotters got it just in time.) Heard of a guy who passed out while doing benches and the bar smashed down and stopped his heart. Gary Taylor blew out his knee flipping wheels in a strongman. Etc, etc, etc. Kazmaier seriously ripped his pec bar bending. Some dude had both his knees buckled inward on a log press. http://www.hardcorepowerlifting.com/index.php?page=unbreakable.htm Had to get artificial knees.
That’s off the top of my head but I wonder especially about someone losing their balance on squats and having a disaster.
Oh there was that guy… French name? Huge bber. Fux? He had a disaster with squats I hear but it only seriously messed up his legs.

I can’t remeber exactly where I saw this, but I saw a picture of this one guy, who during a powerlifting competition while squatting, was so tight and had so much pressure, and I guess had to crap so bad that his shit came out so much that it ripped a huge hole in his anus and he had passed out right on the floor. I think the bar was caught on a rack, so he was fine there, but still. Ouch!

Oh man i would kill to see that clip.

I posted that pic a while ago and it got deleted. I later heard the pic was fake but it look damn real to me.

That’s fake. http://www.snopes.com/photos/prolapse.asp
Probably started by someone who hated lifters. Don’t turn this into a thread about that shit.

I’ve seen broken legs, blown knees, torn hips, all sorts of muscle and tendon tears. I’ve seen the bar roll over a guy’s head when he stumbled forward. Saw a spotter get badly injured when a squatter dumped the bar. Garry Frank tore his AC joint this weekend squatting.

I’ve seen broken sternums, knocked unconscious, broken jaw, broken forearms, broken/dislocated elbows, torn pecs, torn shoulders, dislocated shoulders benching. Also seen broken wrists, torn triceps, broken blood vessels, bleeding for the nose/eyes/ears, etc.

Deadlifts, I’ve mostly seen torn biceps and muslce tears in the back. I have heard of a couple of people, including Jon Pall Sigmarson (WSM competitor) and OD Wilson (same) having either stroke/heart attack after strenuous deadlifting. Both men reported died right after a heavy deadlift workout.

Most of this stuff I have seen in person.

[quote]slattimer wrote:
I’ve seen broken legs, blown knees, torn hips, all sorts of muscle and tendon tears. I’ve seen the bar roll over a guy’s head when he stumbled forward. Saw a spotter get badly injured when a squatter dumped the bar. Garry Frank tore his AC joint this weekend squatting.

I’ve seen broken sternums, knocked unconscious, broken jaw, broken forearms, broken/dislocated elbows, torn pecs, torn shoulders, dislocated shoulders benching. Also seen broken wrists, torn triceps, broken blood vessels, bleeding for the nose/eyes/ears, etc.

Deadlifts, I’ve mostly seen torn biceps and muslce tears in the back. I have heard of a couple of people, including Jon Pall Sigmarson (WSM competitor) and OD Wilson (same) having either stroke/heart attack after strenuous deadlifting. Both men reported died right after a heavy deadlift workout.

Most of this stuff I have seen in person.[/quote]

Slattimer
Just wondering if you know if the Garry Frank that you mentioned is originally from Omro, WI. I grew up a short distance from there and there was a Garry Frank’ I believe even spelled the same’ who was a monster and held alot of the super heavyweight lifting records for WI juniors in high school.

Hey guys just tonight we had a 46 year old come into my ER with rhabdomyolysis caused by excessive squatting. He’s a complete newbie to lifting, and some ass-clown trainer working at Gold’s mercilessly ran this poor dude through the ringer a few days ago for his first workout. Now he’s laid up in my hospital for the next two days with his leg literally opened up to help prevent any more tissue death. I don’t know how much IV fluid we ran through this guy, but he’s lucky that his kidneys didn’t friggin’ explode.

btw: Rhabdomyolysis is when your muscle tissue breaks down, and the fibers spill their contents into your bloodstream. It’s not good.

I know this isn’t exactly what y’all were looking for in this thread, but I thought you might be interested in some of the weird stuff that goes on around here. And there were squats involved, too.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Slattimer
Just wondering if you know if the Garry Frank that you mentioned is originally from Omro, WI. I grew up a short distance from there and there was a Garry Frank’ I believe even spelled the same’ who was a monster and held alot of the super heavyweight lifting records for WI juniors in high school.
[/quote]

Same dude. Frank and Kaz are both from Wisconsin, we grow’em big up here.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
Hey guys just tonight we had a 46 year old come into my ER with rhabdomyolysis caused by excessive squatting. He’s a complete newbie to lifting, and some ass-clown trainer working at Gold’s mercilessly ran this poor dude through the ringer a few days ago for his first workout. Now he’s laid up in my hospital for the next two days with his leg literally opened up to help prevent any more tissue death. I don’t know how much IV fluid we ran through this guy, but he’s lucky that his kidneys didn’t friggin’ explode.

btw: Rhabdomyolysis is when your muscle tissue breaks down, and the fibers spill their contents into your bloodstream. It’s not good.

I know this isn’t exactly what y’all were looking for in this thread, but I thought you might be interested in some of the weird stuff that goes on around here. And there were squats involved, too.[/quote]

That’s actually very interesting. I ran a quick Google on this and “severe exertion” was listed as a cause (along with drug use and alcoholism). They listed marathon running as an example of what might cause this condition. Did this patient mention how many sets/reps he did to cause this? That would be good to know if you can get us that info.

That trainer better keep some time open for a court date. Hope he has some good liability insurance, too.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:

I know this isn’t exactly what y’all were looking for in this thread, but I thought you might be interested in some of the weird stuff that goes on around here. And there were squats involved, too.[/quote]

Geez I didn’t know that could happen. I suppose those muscle fibers are pretty much destroyed once they spill their contents…

Yep. This happens on occasion. We call it “rhabdo” for short. It’s usually a weekend warrior or semi-elderly type who forgets that he’s not twenty years old anymore, and doesn’t drink any water, etc. In fact, I would say that this is caused more by dehydration than anything. The sets/reps the trainer fuck put this guy through must have been pretty bad. I didn’t find out exactly how many he did, but it was A LOT.

Anyway, I seriously doubt that anybody on these boards is going to suffer from rhabdo, because we ALL know the value of during and post-workout hydration, right? I better not see any of you assholes in my ER dammit!! :slight_smile:

Oh, and once rhabdo sets in, some tissue death (necrosis) is inevitable, but in many cases, the muscle will come back with proper rehab. The truly dangerous part of all of this is when the potassium level from all of the rhabdo reaches a critical point, and the kidneys start to fail. A very high potassium will also interfere with proper heart function, and changes will occur to a patient’s EKG. Yes, you can die from it, although very few people actually do, and they’re usually all messed up in other ways anyway.

Dr. Greg Shepard from BFS has stated he had several friends die while bench pressing!

Most dangerous lift is the bench press.

I belive Jon Paul Sigmarson, former Worlds Strongest Man died while in the gym deadlifting, but was from a heart atttack.

It is notable how many athletes have died at a relatively young age from heart related problems. Johny Perry, a WSM competitor died of heart problems. Florence Griffith joyner, “Flo-Jo”, the sprinter died of a heart condition.

And numerous HS and college atheletes die each year from heat stress related and heart conditon related incidents.
You could freak and say, yes, exertion in athletics will hurt and may kill you. But remember, just living is going to kill you one day.

“I’ve realized that if I eat right and exercise and take care of myself, that one day I will eventually get very sick and die.”

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:

“I’ve realized that if I eat right and exercise and take care of myself, that one day I will eventually get very sick and die.”[/quote]

Exactly why I will keep riding my murdercycle and exercising and enjoying my life. Chances are higher that I’ll get killed while at work than doing either one of those. Does that mean I shouldn’t go to work anymore???

When pushing the limits doing anything the consequences when things go wrong exponentially increase to the square root. Worst I’ve seen or experienced has been knee injuries, not very many peeps at my gym are heavy lifters.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
I belive Jon Paul Sigmarson, former Worlds Strongest Man died while in the gym deadlifting, but was from a heart atttack.

It is notable how many athletes have died at a relatively young age from heart related problems. Johny Perry, a WSM competitor died of heart problems. Florence Griffith joyner, “Flo-Jo”, the sprinter died of a heart condition.

And numerous HS and college atheletes die each year from heat stress related and heart conditon related incidents.
You could freak and say, yes, exertion in athletics will hurt and may kill you. But remember, just living is going to kill you one day.

“I’ve realized that if I eat right and exercise and take care of myself, that one day I will eventually get very sick and die.”[/quote]

There is a heart condition that usually causes this particular occurrence. It is rarely detected or even looked for. Someone I work with had their child diagnosed with this disorder, can’t remember the name of it sorry, and was told that their son should not participate in athletics or any very physically strenuating type of activities.

Regards,

Sensless

I almost killed someone the other day - I wanted to squat, and they were doing the ever-so-infamous “Squat Rack Curls.” Does that count?

BFG

Louie Simmons - “any perfectly safe exersize is perfectly useless”

“Perfect health is just the slowest possible way to die.” It is still all about the journey- choose your own road. I have chosen this one. I may die earlier, but I’ll enjoy the trip more than if I played it safe (and I just had shoulder surgery 5 days ago).

[quote]911 Girl wrote:
Exactly why I will keep riding my murdercycle and exercising and enjoying my life. Chances are higher that I’ll get killed while at work than doing either one of those. Does that mean I shouldn’t go to work anymore???[/quote]
Actually I think you are far more likely to die on a motorcycle than at work.