T Nation

Anybody Using Spinal Tap?

Well, it's all in the title: is anybody here using this version of 5/3/1?

If so, how did you set up your training week? What kind of assistance (if doing any...)?

How often (if ever) are you doing Joker sets?

Im currently using it for the press and press and i think it is a great variation, it includes the perfect intensity and volume for me. Im just supersetting each set with band pullaparts, pullups and rows

So I guess you work out 4 times a week, and use Spinal Tap on your upper body lifts.

What about squat and deadlift?

i havent used it with lower body lifts because i prefer to squat 3 times per week doing the full body routine, but it should work as good as it is working with the upper body lifts. Just give it a shot, it feels good just to do your main lift with some assistance between sets and go home feeling pumped and at the same time strong.

as for the joker sets I only do them every three weeks after the 531 sets and then continue with the 5/5/5 sets ( 65%,75%,85%)

If you commit to Spinal Tap, look into using the 5/3 model. Works very well for Spinal Tap.

Spinal Tap is fucking sweet, especially for the upper body lifts. Aside from volume, intensity, and form reinforcement, it also primes you so well for Joker maxes. Supersetting on upper body day is magnificent. Do 14 sets (4 warmup, 9 work, 1 Joker) each for bench and chinups, for example, and that’s one hell of a day. It ups my work capacity as well. I can finish a, yeah, ^ 28 set workout in 50-60 minutes due to improved rest period recovery. I’ve spoken on it in the Race to Bodyweight Press thread too so I’ll stop here haha.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
If you commit to Spinal Tap, look into using the 5/3 model. Works very well for Spinal Tap. [/quote]
That was exactly my guess: when I first read about “5 steps forward, than back to step 3”, I saw Spinal Tap much more doable than with linear increase of TM, week after week.

Actually I’m doing it, and I’m loving upper body days; lower body are a bit harder.

By the way, it reminds me of what I read about chinese weightlifting approach; in a work out, they:

• create a solid base with moderate weights (3x3)

• ramp to a daily max (5, 3, 1 and joker sets)

• some back off sets (3x5)

Has anybody tried applying spinal tap to power cleans? I’m considering giving it a try, but Im not really sure

[quote]panther21 wrote:
Has anybody tried applying spinal tap to power cleans? I’m considering giving it a try, but Im not really sure[/quote]

Yes - use doubles or triples.

I am setting it up as such

Monday
squat regular 531 sets plus joker and fsl
assistance

tuesday
press spinal tap superset chins
thats it

Thursday
deadlift regular 531 sets plus jokers and fsl

Friday
bench spinal tap superset dumbell rows