T Nation

Anybody Use Finishers?

Does anybody here use finishers in your workouts?
I’m talking about some full body exercises that challenge endurance in the end of the workout: high rep DB snatches/clean and presses, some kind of sprint, complexes… this kind of stuff.

If I did my session properly, I don’t usually have the energy for a finisher - though I have begun incorporating a 20 reps movement on lower body day.

sometimes i’ll do olympic squats at the end of a workout 4x10 with short rest but the weight is fairly but its still challenging. i haven’t done this in months

sometimes i will do a few sets of 5 of light power cleans, more as a cardio tool though

Finishers I like-

Suicides- medium grip (pinky on ring) board presses, doing triples off each board off a 2, 3, 4, and 5 board with no break between triples. If you’re still feeling froggy at the end, go full range for a triple. Pick a weight you can bench full range for a set of 5 to 7.

225 rep outs- bench 225 combine style (bounced with a bullshit lockout) for reps.

Prowler pushes

Sled drags

Farmer’s Walks

Sandbag carries

Sandbag clean and presses

The Leg Matrix

Countdowns

I use many of the above as finishers depending on the training day and how much time and energy I have available to perform them.

Me and my friends like:

Tractor tire Flipping

Farmer Walks

Suitcases (1 armed farmer walks)

Overhead squats

Some good stuff here. I wish i had equipement to do some strongman exercises like that.

Nate Dogg:
Leg matrix is that bw squat,lunge and jump thing, right? And what are countdowns?

I have a heavy bag that i pick up flip and o/h press its not much of a workout weight wise but its pretty good for cardio after a session.

the burpee challenge:

set a timer to go off each minute, or have a buddy watch a clock. Each minute do 10 burpees and then rest till the beginning of the next minute. go for ten minutes. so 100 burpees in 10 minutes.

Simple right? you progress by adding one burpee per minute to do 110, 120, 130 and so on. once you can do 150 burpees in 10 minutes you alter the circumstances and go down to 100 again.

good alterations include adding x-vest weight or holding a med ball for the push up and then putting it overhead on the jump. Another classic is to add a bar and insert a power clean at the end. do the push up part on the bar. I once tried to do it with a 30kg bar using snatches and wide push ups from the bar. I puked.

once you change the circumstances start adding reps until you cannot make the times. then change the circumstances again.

Great for building work capacity. There does come a time when each rep takes long enough that your max number in 10 mins is reached. so get creative each month or so.

note: adding pull ups at the end, even jumping ones, will hurt you in that place right behind your upper abs that always hurts when you do stupid-hard shit, like 400m sprints etc. beware.

-chris

[quote]Sagat wrote:
Some good stuff here. I wish i had equipement to do some strongman exercises like that.

Nate Dogg:
Leg matrix is that bw squat,lunge and jump thing, right? And what are countdowns?[/quote]

Yes!

Leg Matrix (can be done for 18, 24 or 36 reps each)

1. Squats
  2. Lunges
  3. Lunge Jumps
  4. Squat Jumps

Countdowns are when you take Plyo pushups and squat jumps and perform them beginning at 10 and going down to one.

You perform 10 reps of plyo pushups and immediately perform 10 squat jumps and then take no more than a 10-second break and perform 9 plyo pushups and 9 squat jumps, rest 10 seconds, then 8 plyo pushups and 8 squat jumps. Once you get to 5, you no longer take a 10-second rest break. You just finish the last five sets (5,4,3,2,1) with no breaks.

Another good routine I’ve used is the Push-up Matrix where you take pushups and tuck jumps and perform them like this:

Pushups (3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3)
Tuck Jumps (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1)

So you perform three pushups and immediately do 1 tuck jump, then with no rest you perform 6 pushups and 2 tuck jumps and so on. Once you hit 15 pushups and 5 tuck jumps, you then work your way down with 12 pushups, 4 tuck jumps, 9 pushups and 3 tuck jumps, etc.

Ideally, for both the Leg Matrix and the Pushup Matrix, you are supposed to perform two sets.

You start out where you time how long it takes you to perform the first full set. Then you double that amount of time and take it as your rest period and perform a full second set.

Eventually, you work your way down in rest so that you perform both sets back-to-back with no rest.

I believe Alwyn has only had a small handful of clients (he mentioned a female college volleyball player) that have been able to do that.

One set of the Leg or Push-up Matrix is tough! A second set after a 2-4 minute rest is very tough. Trying to do two sets back-to-back would be killer!