Anybody Use Dumbbells Anymore?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:
Appreciate your thoughts csulli. Another question is would it really add a benefit to expanding the work capacity in that manner? Or would it be because I just like doing some extra DB work? I used to add a few sets of heavy db bench presses after an old program I ran (only 8-12 BB reps at the 88% range) I think with good results, but now the CT layer has you doing so much more BB volume (clusters, density, ramps, etc…). Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here. I get a lot of info from reading you guys’ comments on here. Thanks.[/quote]
Now that is a good question. I always err on the side of too much, but then again I’m a 25 year old bachelor with shit else to do lol.

I honestly don’t know how much would really be beneficial. Typically I will do 25-30 reps on barbell bench followed sometimes by 25-30 reps of barbell press and then do 3 or 4 sets of 10-15 on dumbbell incline. Sometimes I will substitute the barbell press for DB press and do DB flat bench afterwards though. Then I’ll move on to other isolation stuff and triceps.

But like I said, not everyone has time to fool around in the gym for ever, and I honestly do not know if it’s even beneficial; I just do it.[/quote]
I seriously need to up my volume. My arms would fall of at the shoulder doing that much in a week, much less in a day. [/quote]

Not to change the subject but Ecchastang - I see you put up some impressive bench numbers on here for your BW. I continue to progress on everything but my bench has been stalled for quite a while. I am increasing my rep ranges but the max stuff is not moving. Mind sharing some thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in on this with what has worked for you please, breaking plateaus…starting to get frustrated.

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:
Appreciate your thoughts csulli. Another question is would it really add a benefit to expanding the work capacity in that manner? Or would it be because I just like doing some extra DB work? I used to add a few sets of heavy db bench presses after an old program I ran (only 8-12 BB reps at the 88% range) I think with good results, but now the CT layer has you doing so much more BB volume (clusters, density, ramps, etc…). Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here. I get a lot of info from reading you guys’ comments on here. Thanks.[/quote]
Now that is a good question. I always err on the side of too much, but then again I’m a 25 year old bachelor with shit else to do lol.

I honestly don’t know how much would really be beneficial. Typically I will do 25-30 reps on barbell bench followed sometimes by 25-30 reps of barbell press and then do 3 or 4 sets of 10-15 on dumbbell incline. Sometimes I will substitute the barbell press for DB press and do DB flat bench afterwards though. Then I’ll move on to other isolation stuff and triceps.

But like I said, not everyone has time to fool around in the gym for ever, and I honestly do not know if it’s even beneficial; I just do it.[/quote]
I seriously need to up my volume. My arms would fall of at the shoulder doing that much in a week, much less in a day. [/quote]

Not to change the subject but Ecchastang - I see you put up some impressive bench numbers on here for your BW. I continue to progress on everything but my bench has been stalled for quite a while. I am increasing my rep ranges but the max stuff is not moving. Mind sharing some thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in on this with what has worked for you please, breaking plateaus…starting to get frustrated. [/quote]
Since late August I have been doing 531. I go AMRAP on the last set EVERY time, I never hold reps in the tank. I then either drop down to 225, or FSL weight, and do another max rep set. for accessory work, one week I will focus on close grip bench and the other on decline bench for 2-3 sets. On the OHP session, I just do 531, do a couple moderate sets of FSL, not to failure, then do 2-3 incline bench sets.

That is much more total volume than I was doing before starting 531. From starting lifting again in the summer of 2011, I basically would just do bench once ever 5-7 days, for 4 sets, and either did reps of 15,12,10,8 or 8,6,4,2 with pretty much no accessory work. That got me to 315 at a bodyweight of 150. Last saturday, I hit 320 for 2 TnG, so I credit the 531 and extra volume of accessory stuff. I have come to realize that my bench is chest dominant, so I am focusing on increasing my tricep and delt strength currently.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:

Not to change the subject but Ecchastang - I see you put up some impressive bench numbers on here for your BW. I continue to progress on everything but my bench has been stalled for quite a while. I am increasing my rep ranges but the max stuff is not moving. Mind sharing some thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in on this with what has worked for you please, breaking plateaus…starting to get frustrated. [/quote]
Since late August I have been doing 531. I go AMRAP on the last set EVERY time, I never hold reps in the tank. I then either drop down to 225, or FSL weight, and do another max rep set. for accessory work, one week I will focus on close grip bench and the other on decline bench for 2-3 sets. On the OHP session, I just do 531, do a couple moderate sets of FSL, not to failure, then do 2-3 incline bench sets.

That is much more total volume than I was doing before starting 531. From starting lifting again in the summer of 2011, I basically would just do bench once ever 5-7 days, for 4 sets, and either did reps of 15,12,10,8 or 8,6,4,2 with pretty much no accessory work. That got me to 315 at a bodyweight of 150. Last saturday, I hit 320 for 2 TnG, so I credit the 531 and extra volume of accessory stuff. I have come to realize that my bench is chest dominant, so I am focusing on increasing my tricep and delt strength currently. [/quote]

Good stuff, thanks. I started programming some close grip and declines last week…we’ll see how that works. I’m finding my tris are the weak link so trying to focus on them for a bit.

Grove, I haven’t run CTs layer program, but I assume its pretty intensive. If it’s wearing you out, you might want to just stick with the program and not worry about dumbells for now. You can always incorporate them back in when you change up programs. As a 40+ lifter myself, I had to find out the hard way that I cant do as much as I did at 25 and still recover. Hard lesson learned, but it’s in my DNA to push it to the limit. Oh, and Go Dawgs!

[quote]KCthick wrote:
Grove, I haven’t run CTs layer program, but I assume its pretty intensive. If it’s wearing you out, you might want to just stick with the program and not worry about dumbells for now. You can always incorporate them back in when you change up programs. As a 40+ lifter myself, I had to find out the hard way that I cant do as much as I did at 25 and still recover. Hard lesson learned, but it’s in my DNA to push it to the limit. Oh, and Go Dawgs![/quote]

Is that avatar Erk? Hunker Down! Yah the layers are intense. I changed it up a bit last night from ramp/cluster/HDL to ramp and heavy singles at 85%. Was a bit easier, but sore as hell today. I’ll work the dumbbells back in after this program. Just trying anyway possible to get my bench moving again.

Dude, you know that’s Erk! Hunker it down one more time!

Personally, I never felt that dumbells helped my bench that much. At least, not at much at other barbell pressing movements(close grip, incline, etc).

[quote]KCthick wrote:

Personally, I never felt that dumbells helped my bench that much. At least, not at much at other barbell pressing movements(close grip, incline, etc). [/quote]

Same thing for me.

I do enjoy DB work though just because the potential for an increased ROM and I’ll do it after my main lifts. I’ll even use it for unilateral work as well.

Never really focused a program around it though. I just juggle it in and out periodically.

[quote]KCthick wrote:
Personally, I never felt that dumbells helped my bench that much. At least, not at much at other barbell pressing movements(close grip, incline, etc). [/quote]

you guys guys do any dumb bell flys for pec work?

[quote]Arjen Rudd wrote:

[quote]KCthick wrote:

Same thing for me.

I do enjoy DB work though just because the potential for an increased ROM and I’ll do it after my main lifts. I’ll even use it for unilateral work as well.

Never really focused a program around it though. I just juggle it in and out periodically.[/quote]

KC awesome to trade training ideas with a fellow dawg…class of 90.
But you and Arjen are right. I really enjoy the training effect of DB bench and press but don’t know if they are as effective as the close grip bb, etc… at building strength. I’ll figure out a way to get them back in the program some how - but will have to take a back seat until the numbers start going up.

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]KCthick wrote:

you guys guys do any dumb bell flys for pec work?[/quote]

Never been a fan of flys…should I be?

I use them for rows (I cannot barbell row without feeling a lot of pain in the back. I would imagine it’s a form issue but I see people with worse form than me pushing out over 200lb, which makes me really confused) and complexes. I like DB complexes with a single DB because it lets you get in upper body unilateral work while still giving a sufficient ass-kicking if you do enough goblet squats and cleans.

After switching to dumbbells only for biceps, I made good improvements. I never do any kind of curl without supinating anymore. My biceps tendonitis also went away.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Why would anyone not use them?[/quote]

I listed several reasons in my earlier posts of why they have not been in my program for a while…recovery, questionable strength building benefit, programming the big 4 lifts. I get that anyone can ‘use’ them, just wondering about their effectiveness & place in a strength based program. Good answer though, thanks for your input.

I am 53 and can only bench with dumbbells

I also do all my presses with dumbbells .

A lot of old timers got very strong with dumbbells

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I listed several reasons in my earlier posts of why they have not been in my program for a while…recovery, questionable strength building benefit, programming the big 4 lifts. I get that anyone can ‘use’ them, just wondering about their effectiveness & place in a strength based program. Good answer though, thanks for your input.[/quote]

Why don’t you think you can gain strength using dumbbells?

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I listed several reasons in my earlier posts of why they have not been in my program for a while…recovery, questionable strength building benefit, programming the big 4 lifts. I get that anyone can ‘use’ them, just wondering about their effectiveness & place in a strength based program. Good answer though, thanks for your input.[/quote]

Why don’t you think you can gain strength using dumbbells? [/quote]

I don’t think that. That’s kind of my original question though. I used to always mix in dumbbells with my lifting…but didn’t really know what I was doing and going nowhere. But since reading tnation and following strength programs from Wendler and CT, they focus mainly on the big 4 bb work. Even most of the assistance work they prescribe is more main bb lifts at a lighter weight, different angle, etc… Don’t get me wrong I have made a lot of progress following those programs. But aside from rows, there is rarely a mention of dumbbells in any of those strength programs.

I like dumbbell work - got a shit load of them in my home gym and as I said I miss using them. There’s no better pump for me than knocking out a set of 10 with 100# db’s after an intense chest session. But not chasing the pump now, chasing strength. Following CT’s layer program I haven’t touched a db in a while. But in regards to recovery, strength building, and frankly time…the question I was putting out to the forum was for opinions on db work in a strength based program, and carry over to the main lifts. Given one is healthy enough to not have to use dumbbells vs a bb as a previous poster mentioned.

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Why don’t you think you can gain strength using dumbbells? [/quote]

I don’t think that. That’s kind of my original question though. I used to always mix in dumbbells with my lifting…but didn’t really know what I was doing and going nowhere. But since reading tnation and following strength programs from Wendler and CT, they focus mainly on the big 4 bb work. Even most of the assistance work they prescribe is more main bb lifts at a lighter weight, different angle, etc… Don’t get me wrong I have made a lot of progress following those programs. But aside from rows, there is rarely a mention of dumbbells in any of those strength programs.

I like dumbbell work - got a shit load of them in my home gym and as I said I miss using them. There’s no better pump for me than knocking out a set of 10 with 100# db’s after an intense chest session. But not chasing the pump now, chasing strength. Following CT’s layer program I haven’t touched a db in a while. But in regards to recovery, strength building, and frankly time…the question I was putting out to the forum was for opinions on db work in a strength based program, and carry over to the main lifts. Given one is healthy enough to not have to use dumbbells vs a bb as a previous poster mentioned. [/quote]

Gotcha, not really in my field of knowledge. Good luck.

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]KCthick wrote:

you guys guys do any dumb bell flys for pec work?[/quote]

Never been a fan of flys…should I be?[/quote]

the dumbbell fly gave my chest greater width. i already had good thickness.

flys focus on the outer portions of the chest. the bench press concentrates more on the center.

it sounds funny but it seems to make me able to breath deeper and helps with other upper body balance. just my .02

The one main BB lift that I have substituted DB for BB work is the shoulder press.

This is mostly due to shoulder issues, since I press the dumbells with a neutral grip. I have never tried a Swiss bar, and my gym doesn’t have one either. Loading is an issue, since for safety and setup, I don’t do too much work in the 1-3 rep range. Most of my “heavy” work is sets of 5s.

But, I do wish I could do the standard military press instead.