T Nation

Anybody Here Eat Dessert?

I’m guessing no. I am asking because it seems I am the only NOT EATING dessert sometimes. Everywhere I go, after a meal it is dessert time. Even growing up and my parents are not overweight. Even at the restaurant, after a meal it is dessert time.

So you guys NEVER eat dessert? Is it really that bad?

(Again, I almost never eat dessert, dont really feel like it either)

I do, but not that often.

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you’re eating properly the rest of the time.

I’ve noticed that the cleaner my diet is, the less I have a taste for sweets and dessert. It’s just not something that appeals to me anymore.

Also, there are plenty of healthy dessert recipes that have been posted here. If I’m ever craving something sweet, then I’ll usually make one of those, like protein pudding.

That said, I do allow myself some kind of dessert on occasion as long as it falls within the 90% rule.

Dessert is just a word.

dessert = a second helping of chicken
dessert = a handful of almonds
dessert = a scoop of peanut butter
dessert = a shake

Dessert doesn’t always have to = junk.

depends. right now I’m putting on weight, so if I go out to a restaurant and feeling like the extra calories won’t hurt, I’ll get some dessert.

I usually eat some “junk” once or twice a week.

I’ve had dessert twice this month, and both times it was birthday cake. I have a sweet tooth, but the morning berry smoothies and caffeine-free diet sodas take care of it almost all the time.

I ate a whole cake the other night.

I walked 400 steps on my pedometer though, so I definitely deserved it.

Those days are over, however, as the diet is now in full effect.

Well, maybe a 1/2 cake after deadlifting…

I don’t actively seek out eating dessert, but if it’s presented to me because of a birthday or something I’ll eat it. Otherwise, I could live without it. Fortunately, I don’t have a huge sweet tooth.

For sure! If your bulking and getting your 6 meals with a solid 30+ grams of protein at each meal go for it!!! However if your trying to get leaner…NO DICE

[quote]NewDamage wrote:

Well, maybe a 1/2 cake after deadlifting…[/quote]

You have a pedometer?

What a loser.

[quote]rsg wrote:
NewDamage wrote:

Well, maybe a 1/2 cake after deadlifting…

You have a pedometer?

What a loser.[/quote]

I use it to track my steps to and from the refrigerator. I’m at 1000 and I’ve only been up for 2 hours!

I’m obsessed with food. I eat all day. Most meals are fairly healthy, some snacks are but one or two snacks would be considered desert. Mostly pie, ice cream or quality chocolates, cookies or brownies. Ice cream & pie and ice cream & brownies are very good combinations.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I’ve noticed that the cleaner my diet is, the less I have a taste for sweets and dessert. [/quote]

I noticed that as well. I’d love to hear you guys’ take as to why that is.

[quote]lixy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I’ve noticed that the cleaner my diet is, the less I have a taste for sweets and dessert.

I noticed that as well. I’d love to hear you guys’ take as to why that is.[/quote]

Guilt is probably one factor for me. If I’m eating clean and trying to lean up, then I don’t want to ‘screw up’ my diet by eating sweet stuff.

I think John Berardi has said that your tastes buds will change and adjust to eating clean. You’ll begin to crave healthier foods and lose the taste for junk.

i couldn’t agree more. After cleaning up my intake over the last years or so, when i look at crap food it isn’t the least bit appetizing. give me a bowl of oatmeal with some cinnamon and a dash of Splenda instead of pie and ice cream any day of the week.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
lixy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I’ve noticed that the cleaner my diet is, the less I have a taste for sweets and dessert.

Guilt is probably one factor for me. If I’m eating clean and trying to lean up, then I don’t want to ‘screw up’ my diet by eating sweet stuff.

I think John Berardi has said that your tastes buds will change and adjust to eating clean. You’ll begin to crave healthier foods and lose the taste for junk.[/quote]

I agree that for many of us, the guilt far outweighs the pleasure. And I do believe in re-training the taste buds to enjoy healthier foods. Still though, I love dessert! But instead of indulging in unhealthy variations, I’ve found that there is an endless amount of possibilities with Grow! Whey. This is my favorite creation as of right now:

The non-Oreo Protein Milkshake:

2 Scoops Grow! Whey
8oz Unsweetened Almond Milk (Vanilla Flavored)
3g Guar Gum
30g Pure Dark Chocolate (NO Added Sugars)
1 Stevia Packet

1. Simply place the powder, almond milk, and guar gum in a blender and blend it up for about 15 seconds on medium speed.

2. Throw in a handful of ice cubes and blend them up. Gradually add additional ice cubes one by one until you reach desired consistency. Personally for me, I go for a handful + 3-4 more.

3. Next take a block of dark chocolate (30 g) and heat it in the microwave to make the outside layer a little softer so it mixes easier (DO NOT MELT). Throw it in the blender and blend it up into little bits of pieces. Best results come when the chocolate is in little chunks as opposed to it being smoothly blended in (which is why it shouldn’t be melted).

4. Spoon and eat.

The guar gum and almond milk contributes in making the shake thick (just like a real milkshake), and the bits of chocolate really make it feel like you’re eating an Oreo Blizzard or something of that nature.

Makes 1 serving:
441 calories
49g Protein
18g Carbs
9g Fiber
22g Fat

[As posted in the T-Cell Recipe thread]

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
lixy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I think John Berardi has said that your tastes buds will change and adjust to eating clean. You’ll begin to crave healthier foods and lose the taste for junk.[/quote]

I’ve all but lost my taste for sweets, but the other “bad foods” I crave just as often. I’m on first name basis with just about every pizza delivery person in town.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
lixy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I think John Berardi has said that your tastes buds will change and adjust to eating clean. You’ll begin to crave healthier foods and lose the taste for junk.

I’ve all but lost my taste for sweets, but the other “bad foods” I crave just as often. I’m on first name basis with just about every pizza delivery person in town.

[/quote]

Pizza doesn’t count as a bad food. :slight_smile: I’d probably go nuts if I didn’t have pizza at least once a month. You have to allow yourself something, right?

I eat dessert twice/week. At least once/week it’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies with ice cream (my girlfriend loves me).

I also train a ton and am very strict on my diet :slight_smile:

No.