T Nation

Anybody Here Do Photography ?

i’m intrested in photograpy and i was thinking about taking a class at my JC. would it be worth it ?

If you have the opportunity, why wouldn’t you try out something that you are interested in?

Yes, it’s worth it

[quote]BigMike wrote:
i’m intrested in photograpy and i was thinking about taking a class at my JC. would it be worth it ?[/quote]

Sure, why not?

Are you planning on doing it as a hobby or getting into some freelance work down the road?

Yep. I took a year of Photography in college.

Beginner courses show you the basics like properly using shutter speeds or F-Stops to get the pictures you want. If it is a film based course they also show you how to develop and make prints from black and white film. This part was fun to me because I can develop film in my bathroom and make prints at a friends house.

If you get the photo bug then advanced courses show you how to do color photography, experiment with different films, and show you how to use digital cameras and Photoshop. IMO Photoshop takes all the fun out of Photography, and can become a crutch to those who didn’t learn the basics.

Hope this helps.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
BigMike wrote:
i’m intrested in photograpy and i was thinking about taking a class at my JC. would it be worth it ?

Sure, why not?

Are you planning on doing it as a hobby or getting into some freelance work down the road?
[/quote]

don’t know , just seem like something i might like

[quote]BigMike wrote:
Tech9 wrote:
BigMike wrote:

Sure, why not?

don’t know , just seem like something i might like
[/quote]

If you have the opportunity, take it!

I took photo classes in high school, and have since been enjoying photography.

I love photography! And surprisingly, unlike all of my other fine art credits, it has actually shown to be a useful skill in the real world. Knowledge of the physics of light, colour etc. has been quite useful in a couple of jobs, though not my current.

Yeah i’m really into it…but right now I don’t have a working camera outside of my phone. I think i’m gonna spend a good $600 or so on a nice new digital SLR for myself for christmas though. Anyone have recommendations?

Photo is a lot of fun though, I took a semester in college and loved it. I would love to turn it into something lucrative (just on the side) but I’m afraid i don’t have the patience to do it seriously.

Take the course, you will be glad you did.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
Yeah i’m really into it…but right now I don’t have a working camera outside of my phone. I think i’m gonna spend a good $600 or so on a nice new digital SLR for myself for christmas though. Anyone have recommendations?

Photo is a lot of fun though, I took a semester in college and loved it. I would love to turn it into something lucrative (just on the side) but I’m afraid i don’t have the patience to do it seriously. [/quote]

Any particular reason a DSLR?

I have the Canon G9 and freakin’ love it. I spent less than 600 on it on ebay and it came with tons of accessories, and it’s an unbeleiveable camera. Check it out.

They also came out with a G10 right after that. Check that out, too.

If you’ve got your mind set on an SLR, though… Forget this post haha. Sorry, I dont have any advice on SLR’s since I dont own one.

I have the Nikon D60 and really like it (although the D80 would have been cool, too). Check out this site for camera reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/

Also, be sure to check out e-bay, craigslist, etc for used DSLRs and/or lenses.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
nowakc wrote:

Photo is a lot of fun though, I took a semester in college and loved it. I would love to turn it into something lucrative (just on the side) but I’m afraid i don’t have the patience to do it seriously.

Any particular reason a DSLR?

I have the Canon G9 and freakin’ love it. I spent less than 600 on it on ebay and it came with tons of accessories, and it’s an unbeleiveable camera. Check it out.

They also came out with a G10 right after that. Check that out, too.

If you’ve got your mind set on an SLR, though… Forget this post haha. Sorry, I dont have any advice on SLR’s since I dont own one.[/quote]

Yeah, well I know you can get most SLR features on the nicer point-and-shoot cameras these days, but the class I want to take in the winter requires one so i’m going that route.

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
I have the Nikon D60 and really like it (although the D80 would have been cool, too). Check out this site for camera reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/

Also, be sure to check out e-bay, craigslist, etc for used DSLRs and/or lenses. [/quote]

Sweeet thanks for the link, i’ve just been browsing amazon reading user reviews but this is a lot more helpful.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
[/quote]

Like nvh95 said, DPReview is an excellent site for camera reviews.

In terms of what to look for in a camera, I don’t think you necessarily need the latest DSLR if you want to save some $$$. I have a Canon 20D (which has been around since 2004) and still use it for occasional freelance work.

It’s easy to get hung up on whatever MP size the camera offers, but what I’d suggest is looking for whatever other features it has and seeing if it matches what you’re looking for.

Then just practice your shots. You never know where it’ll take you.

Case in point was I was at the 2006 Test Fest just running around taking pics for fun. Shugart asked me to send some to include in his article writeup. Here’s the link: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/the_2006_test_fest

All the pics you see in the first article are mine. There’s a few I took in the followup article, including the group shot at the end.

Topping it off, I was hired by someone there to take shots of the powerlifting competition at the 2006 Arnold Classic - Which was the most fun freelance assignment I’ve had, even though it was for 2 days.

Like debraD said, I’ve found it to be a great fine art skill which can translate to other areas.

I think everyone should see if they have a creative side. An outlet like photography is instantaneous satisfaction. You may find you have a real talent for it.

Even if you never make a living from it, photography (framed up in inexpensive frames) makes nice gifts to friends and family.