Anybody Ever Have This Injury?

I was doing db side lateral raises (please…no lectures…I usually just do standing military press) and I pulled a muscle in my right delt. I looked it up in a sports med book and it looks like a biceps tendon, even though it’s in my shoulder. I get a pain there when I lift my arm at certain angles. It’s really annoying because I never know when I am going to get that jolt of pain. I am kind of hesitant to lift but I feel like shit when I don’t lift.

Anyway…any advice on treatment? I’m hesitant to take any NSAIDS but may go that route if it will help me get back to lifting. I have been resting it the last few days and ice 2-3X per day.

Thanks in advance. You guys here are always have good advice.

do you warm up with lifting? or do you warm up and stretch properly before lifting?

There is nothing wrong with side lateral raises. Not every exercise needs to be compound.

Stretching before lifting is often (but not always) a bad idea.

Injuries happen. Only you can tell if you should train through it or rest it.

Good luck.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
I get a pain there when I lift my arm at certain angles. It’s really annoying because I never know when I am going to get that jolt of pain. I am kind of hesitant to lift but I feel like shit when I don’t lift.
[/quote]

Dammit, that’s what probably caused my injury too. I have the exact same thing at the moment, but I thought it was because I’ve been over-indulging in the military press the past few weeks.

I never really stretch before lifting, only just a couple warm up sets of that particular exercise.

Anyway, I’m just avoiding certain shoulder work and going light on the benching. Also, reading EC’s articles I’m reworking the form a on a lot of the exercises I do, to avoid shit like this happening. For example, scapular plane lateral raises instead of the traditional ones.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
Anyway…any advice on treatment? I’m hesitant to take any NSAIDS but may go that route if it will help me get back to lifting. I have been resting it the last few days and ice 2-3X per day.[/quote]

Try Zyflamend caps and Traumeel.

Do you do a lot of low bar squats or good mornings? I had the identical injury and while I first thought that I healed it with lots of rotator cuff work, it came back, and I realized that low bar work was the culprit. I’ve been using a higher bar position and while it takes away from my lifts a bit, it’s worth it not having beat up shoulders/biceps.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
I was doing db side lateral raises (please…no lectures…I usually just do standing military press) and I pulled a muscle in my right delt. I looked it up in a sports med book and it looks like a biceps tendon, even though it’s in my shoulder. I get a pain there when I lift my arm at certain angles. It’s really annoying because I never know when I am going to get that jolt of pain. I am kind of hesitant to lift but I feel like shit when I don’t lift.

Anyway…any advice on treatment? I’m hesitant to take any NSAIDS but may go that route if it will help me get back to lifting. I have been resting it the last few days and ice 2-3X per day.

Thanks in advance. You guys here are always have good advice.[/quote]

Which angles are painful?
Test the pain angles then stretch your lats, pecs and traps and test again.

Shoulders can be a bitch.

I’ve nothing specific to offer but jsut some general advice…

-warm up well, but do it dynamically. Think dislocates, swinging big circles with your arms, forwards and backwards getting bigger and bigger as you get warmer, and then some light overhead work and some warm up sets with laterals.

-there culd be some underlying muscular problems (biceps perhaps compensating to stabilise your shoulder because the other supporting musculature isn’t doing it’s job, just a guess tho!)

-and for god sake get some ice on it. I swear it’s the best way to treat most joint injuries!! It just works so well!!

Heal up fast.

Thanks everybody.