Anybody Else in a Band?

Hey guys/gals… just wondering how many of us are in bands. I play bass and “sing” in a Boston punk band called the Straight Eights. I’ll post links if anybody is interested.

Anybody else?

-RP

Try posting them to this thread which will probably get more views

I am not in a band, but I fully plan on becoming a famous rapper someday.

I was a drummer as a kid. Also, when I was younger, I was in an experimental electronic project called DADA DOOM (you can search some of the stuff online, but it was done as I was learning recording in HS). Recently (as in these past couple months), I have picked up rapping and production (under the alias Macabre SOB) for fun, though I don’t expect to be very good at this for a long time… lol

I was a drummer all thru school and college, played in a bunch of bands, everything from new wave (That Petrol Emotion, The Church, Buzzcocks) to 80’s heavy rock (Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath) to punk (Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendencies, some English Punk, some skate punk). I was comically untalented, but I hated soloing and was more than happy to lay down a groove while the other guys in the band soloed. So, that kept me popular as a drummer, lol. Recently took some Latin percussion classes and am looking to find a local batacuda Bateria.

Edit: forgot a short stint in a fusion band. Lots of Spyro Gyra, Chick Correa, Weather Report, Pat Methany… Had to dumb down a lot of the drum parts, but I didn’t feel too badly because Weckl and Wertico.

Are you one of the Salvadorians in the first video?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
I was a drummer all thru school and college, played in a bunch of bands, everything from new wave (That Petrol Emotion, The Church, Buzzcocks) to 80’s heavy rock (Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath) to punk (Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendencies, some English Punk, some skate punk). I was comically untalented, but I hated soloing and was more than happy to lay down a groove while the other guys in the band soloed. So, that kept me popular as a drummer, lol. Recently took some Latin percussion classes and am looking to find a local batacuda Bateria.

Edit: forgot a short stint in a fusion band. Lots of Spyro Gyra, Chick Correa, Weather Report, Pat Methany… Had to dumb down a lot of the drum parts, but I didn’t feel too badly because Weckl and Wertico.

[/quote]

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was a drummer all thru school and college, played in a bunch of bands, everything from new wave (That Petrol Emotion, The Church, Buzzcocks) to 80’s heavy rock (Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath) to punk (Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendencies, some English Punk, some skate punk).
[/quote]

For a second, I thought you were listing the bands you had actually played in, and was very confused (Dr. Pangloss played in Def Leppard and Black Sabbath?)

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

I was a drummer all thru school and college, played in a bunch of bands, everything from new wave (That Petrol Emotion, The Church, Buzzcocks) to 80’s heavy rock (Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath) to punk (Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendencies, some English Punk, some skate punk).
[/quote]

For a second, I thought you were listing the bands you had actually played in, and was very confused (Dr. Pangloss played in Def Leppard and Black Sabbath?)[/quote]

Lol, I see how it reads that way.

Those were just the bands whose songs we covered.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not, but with some practice I could be. Looks like a blast to me.

[quote]Rising Phoenix wrote:
Hey guys/gals… just wondering how many of us are in bands. I play bass and “sing” in a Boston punk band called the Straight Eights. I’ll post links if anybody is interested.

Anybody else?

-RP[/quote]

No, but I have a cousin who is. Does that count? She’s allegedly a good drummer.

LMFAO!!!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow, really? She’s pretty well known (from YouTube)

First cousin?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Anybody else?

-RP[/quote]

No, but I have a cousin who is. Does that count? She’s allegedly a good drummer.

[/quote]

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Wow, really? She’s pretty well known (from YouTube)

First cousin?

[/quote]

Yes. More of a niece, since she played with my daughters growing up. Youngest of 7 in her family I think. All her family are doctors and lawyers (shocker, I know), and along comes a drummer. I had no idea she was well known. I thought she was a struggling musician type.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Anybody else?

-RP[/quote]

[/quote]

I have seen her on some u-tube video’s and you can remove the allegedly part. She is very good and a beautiful smile too boot!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
LMFAO!!!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I play keyboard and backup vocals for Diamonds in the Rough.

I can still get around a fretboard with T-Rex arms and Sausage Fingers!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
LMFAO!!!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I was in bands as a teenager. I play the drums I just ain’t real good at it. I would love to be in a band, a good band that makes good music, but life has not dealt me circumstances that would let me be that, on a consistent basis.

There is something interesting at not being technically proficient at your instrument, so long as you have the passion and understand music. You have to make sounds and since you don’t have natural chops you have to fight and struggle to get the sound you want. This actually leads to progress.

However, we live in a time where musical proficiency is lacking in a massive way. We need good musicians right now. We need to save the world from computers who are the band and some half-ass good looking singer who needs their voice masked to make the sound tolerable. Ug, I cannot wait for the current state of music to change. I want people who know how to actually play music on instruments and singers who know how to sing and know when not to sing. The caterwauling pervasive in current music is painful to listen to.

So I bid well wishes to any of you in a band who can play and make good music without the need of having to be computer manipulated.
I’ll take the guitar playing ass-clown at your local Mexican joint over Taylor Swift any day.

Hmm. That’s interesting. I play bass in a local band called Gay Apes.