Anybody Dealing with Colitis?

For the last several months I’ve been suffering from truly horrific abdominal pain. In all honesty it was the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. I finally caved after a couple weeks of it and went to the ER, and it turns out I have ulcerative colitis. Anybody have any experiences with this? I’ve already got the medical side of it down and I was hoping to get a little bit of first hand experience.

Like you probably already know - how it affects your life depends on how serious it is. I can’t say I’ve noticed that anything I do (this includes what food I eat) has an effect except that stress seems to worsen the symptoms somewhat. Eating a LOT of food may anger it a little bit.

Taking Fiber 3x/day was a BIG help to me (in addition to meds). I didn’t discover it right away, but I am so, so glad that I did because it helped a ton. I’d suggest trying that if you’re unsatisfied with what you can achieve with meds.

One of my best friends has it. First got it in HS and had to completely change his diet. Now it seems like every few years he has a flare up and will have to cut out another food from his diet. It’s basically just a big pain in the ass (literally) because you have to constantly watch what you eat, lest it flare up and leave you shitting blood for 3 days.

That is what I gathered from him. I actually just talked to him about it because he just had another flare up. Now he can’t take creatine.

[quote]nickem wrote:
Like you probably already know - how it affects your life depends on how serious it is. I can’t say I’ve noticed that anything I do (this includes what food I eat) has an effect except that stress seems to worsen the symptoms somewhat. Eating a LOT of food may anger it a little bit.

Taking Fiber 3x/day was a BIG help to me (in addition to meds). I didn’t discover it right away, but I am so, so glad that I did because it helped a ton. I’d suggest trying that if you’re unsatisfied with what you can achieve with meds.[/quote]

Yeah, I haven’t noticed a correlation between foods and attacks. It just happens. How did you go about getting your fiber in?

EDIT: I’ve got moderate to severe symptoms