T Nation

Anybody Care About Curling Strength?

I don’t… I know alot of people who can’t bench press more than 200 pounds, who can beat me in an arm wrestling match and “mercy”.

Losing an arm wrestling match or “mercy” used to smash my ego. Now, I just don’t care…

i have never lost a game of mercy dating back since i was like 9 years old at camp

its called having huge hands

plus i had some technique - i would twist your arm under mad quick then push up.

Arm wrestling is probably more about technique than strength.

Are you 12 years old?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Arm wrestling is probably more about technique than strength.[/quote]

If you’re using an armwrestling table, then yeah, but on a normal table it’s all bicep and forearm strength.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Arm wrestling is probably more about technique than strength.[/quote]

Please don’t tell me it’s more complex than the olympic lifts.

No man even with a regular table there is still quite a bit of technique involved in an arm wrestling match…simply pulling backwards and down at the same time is creating length on his arm making him MUCH MUCH weaker in that position and you will win for sure if you keep your shit tight. Technique in everything.

arm wrestling is more about how strong your wrist is than your actual arm

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
Arm wrestling is probably more about technique than strength.

Please don’t tell me it’s more complex than the olympic lifts.[/quote]

lol
Kinda, I had a friend that competed in college. I was stronger than him at pretty much everything (used to lift with him some). Never came close to beating him though.

It?s all about your start. There are a couple of tricks you can use and beat 95% of people who don?t know any better. Like, as mentioned, pull your opponents hand towards you rather than just towards the table.

And yeah, hand and forearm size and strength are more important than bi?s. Not to mention using tri?s if you get in a good position.

I suck at armwrestling and it pisses me off.If you lose the people watching think your weaker then the guy who beat you even if your not.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i have never lost a game of mercy dating
[/quote]

This is what I read the first time through.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I suck at armwrestling and it pisses me off.If you lose the people watching think your weaker then the guy who beat you even if your not.[/quote]

X2

As far as the question in the title of the post… I used to not care about curling strength; but, my ego has really not been liking watching all of the pencil necks with big arms in my gym curl like double what I do… Hence, I have finally given in and added a dedicated arm day to my routine.

If you are a wrestler, strong biceps are pretty important, so curling would be a good way to build that. Same thing with a football players who is interested in holding onto the ball when players are trying to knock it out of his hands.

That said, I cannot remember the last time I did curls. My biceps seem to get pretty strong from weighted chins.

About armwrestling.
If you are taller than the other guy you will win. That is my experience. (longer arms).
Also, curling and armwrestling is not the same movement.

[quote]Dadij wrote:
About armwrestling.
If you are taller than the other guy you will win. That is my experience. (longer arms).
Also, curling and armwrestling is not the same movement.[/quote]

Im 6’5", im taller than everyone.I am just not good at arm wrestling.I can curl 120 for reps and could lose to someone who doesnt even lift.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i have never lost a game of mercy dating

This is what I read the first time through.[/quote]

haha

i dont even get mercy-dates lmao

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Dadij wrote:
About armwrestling.
Also, curling and armwrestling is not the same movement.

Im 6’5", im taller than everyone.I am just not good at arm wrestling.I can curl 120 for reps and could lose to someone who doesnt even lift.[/quote]

i think it has a lot to do with leverage and wouldnt a shorter armed guy win because he’d have a lower center of gravity and a smaller venue to displace his energy - basically more compact …idk i hate short people

I’m a decent arm wrestler, it’s not something I do alot but I usually win when I do. I don’t go around challenging people, though.

My first move is to pull to my chest and rotate my shoulder through, then you can use your back and chest…

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
I suck at armwrestling and it pisses me off.If you lose the people watching think your weaker then the guy who beat you even if your not.

X2

As far as the question in the title of the post… I used to not care about curling strength; but, my ego has really not been liking watching all of the pencil necks with big arms in my gym curl like double what I do… Hence, I have finally given in and added a dedicated arm day to my routine. [/quote]

lol who gives a fuck about curling strength. deadlift strength is what separates the men from the boys

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
I’m a decent arm wrestler, it’s not something I do alot but I usually win when I do. I don’t go around challenging people, though.

My first move is to pull to my chest and rotate my shoulder through, then you can use your back and chest… [/quote]

Would you please describe how you “rotate shoulders”? Thanks.