Anybody BUT....???

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]treco wrote:
Who would you like to see running that you think would have a realistic chance of winning AND doing a good job?

[/quote]

Haha. Why do I feel like the answer to those questions are two very different people?[/quote]

X2

Scummy enough to win against the left
but still morally intact to do right by the country and not corporations/special interest

Okay
But name names so we can look at them

[quote]treco wrote:
Okay
But name names so we can look at them[/quote]

Marissa Mayer.

[quote]treco wrote:

I guess I am curious why we let kids with no experience like Cruz dominate the conversation, instead of finding proven leaders and ‘recruiting’ them. We find faults with all of the candidates because they haven’t ever done a damn thing but be politicians, flowery orators, and grifters.
[/quote]

This is a great question whose answer would go a long way to putting the country back on a better footing.

For whatever reason, “conservatives” - scare quotes intentional - are enamored with shiny objects that specialize in bumper sticker slogans. Thus, the process to getting the nomination is less and less about finding that workaday solid governor and more about rewarding the sloganeering demagogue. Thinks about it - the best way (it seems) for a right-winger to become a frontrunner in the race for presidency is to run for the Senate on a bunch of platitudes - “everything everywhere has violated our sacred constitution!!!” - and then legislate little and then claim they are primed to be chief magistrate over the most powerful organization in the world.

And budget balancing governors have to squeeze their way past these guys and try to fund raise.

Problem is - this “system” will continue until “conservatives” start ignoring the demagogues and start demanding legit candidates from the ranks.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

[quote]treco wrote:

I guess I am curious why we let kids with no experience like Cruz dominate the conversation, instead of finding proven leaders and ‘recruiting’ them. We find faults with all of the candidates because they haven’t ever done a damn thing but be politicians, flowery orators, and grifters.
[/quote]

This is a great question whose answer would go a long way to putting the country back on a better footing.

For whatever reason, “conservatives” - scare quotes intentional - are enamored with shiny objects that specialize in bumper sticker slogans. Thus, the process to getting the nomination is less and less about finding that workaday solid governor and more about rewarding the sloganeering demagogue. Thinks about it - the best way (it seems) for a right-winger to become a frontrunner in the race for presidency is to run for the Senate on a bunch of platitudes - “everything everywhere has violated our sacred constitution!!!” - and then legislate little and then claim they are primed to be chief magistrate over the most powerful organization in the world.

And budget balancing governors have to squeeze their way past these guys and try to fund raise.

Problem is - this “system” will continue until “conservatives” start ignoring the demagogues and start demanding legit candidates from the ranks.[/quote]

I will admit to not being in the know on who these higher performing Governors might be and would like to see your thoughts.

My own wish list for a presidential candidate would be officer in the military (to learn how to take orders and maybe give a few, plus learn the culture), mid level manager in corporate world (both issue and follow directives that deal with money), and rounded out with governorship (CEO responsibility - but with give and take training that come from leadership sharing).

My vote goes to Mad Dog Mattis then…

Problem is - this “system” will continue until “conservatives” start ignoring the demagogues and start demanding legit candidates from the ranks.[/quote]

An orthodox conservative will have a difficult time being accepted into either of the Parties as they exist today.

How is this possible when Republicans have to prove that they’re SUPER-CONSERVATIVE during the primaries or else they’ll be labeled “RINO”?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

An orthodox conservative will have a difficult time being accepted into either of the Parties as they exist today. [/quote]

I personally think conservatives need to split off into their own party (or two parties).

[quote]treco wrote:

[quote]treco wrote:
Who would you like to see running that you think would have a realistic chance of winning AND doing a good job?

[/quote]

Haha. Why do I feel like the answer to those questions are two very different people?[/quote]

Touche, but T Roosevelt, G Washington et al are unavailable

[/quote]

I guess my wishlist looks something like:

Not a career politico.
Has integrity.
Governor, not anyone from Congress.
Preferably from a swing state, not a hyper partisan one.
Honest about the fact they owe favors for the campaign funds
Military experience in some capacity
Not concerned with being a rockstar or social media darling
Earns respect
Has lived in both the Burbs and the city
Runs on their record, attacks records. No emotional appeals
Respects the second

I have no names. Most people are out by number 2 if not 1.

I guess my wishlist looks something like:

Not a career politico.
Has integrity.
Governor, not anyone from Congress.
Preferably from a swing state, not a hyper partisan one.
Honest about the fact they owe favors for the campaign funds
Military experience in some capacity
Not concerned with being a rockstar or social media darling
Earns respect
Has lived in both the Burbs and the city
Runs on their record, attacks records. No emotional appeals
Respects the second

I have no names. Most people are out by number 2 if not 1. [/quote]

Aren’t virtually all politicians out because of “no emotional appeals”?

Pray Martin O’Malley doesn’t win.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I personally think conservatives need to split off into their own party (or two parties). [/quote]

That would split the vote, and liberals would win in a landslide.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

An orthodox conservative will have a difficult time being accepted into either of the Parties as they exist today. [/quote]

I completely agree. Used to be that both parties had conservatives, and liberals, and that was healthy.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I personally think conservatives need to split off into their own party (or two parties). [/quote]

That would split the vote, and liberals would win in a landslide. [/quote]

Not if conservatives in both parties split to form a single conservative party or two new parties. I’m not sure if conservative democrats would do that or if they even have a reason to.

[quote]magick wrote:

How is this possible when Republicans have to prove that they’re SUPER-CONSERVATIVE during the primaries or else they’ll be labeled “RINO”?
[/quote]

Agreed. Reagan and his record wouldn’t have made it through the primaries today.

We live in a strange time - and the Democrats have handed the GOP the gift of a generation. Look, the GOP mopped the floor in the 2014 election and reduced Democratic control - state legislature included - to levels not seen since before the Great Depression. But they didn’t win because the GOP was so fantastic - they won because the Democrats have squandered the huge advantage they had as of 2008 and drove voters away.

The GOP is in possession of a gift - the chance to build what the Democrats boasted of in 2008 - the so-called permanent majority.

What will the GOP do with it? Blow it. Demand right-wing purity in a world increasingly full of citizens with mixed politics and less partisanship. Instead of learning from the mistakes of the Democrats, they are going to mirror them and even do worse.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

The last two Republican presidential candidates don’t help you very much with this quip.
[/quote]

I never said that you have to be super-conservative to win the primaries. I wrote that you have to be super-conservative in the primaries or risk being labeled a RINO.

Last I checked, Both McCain and Romney are suspected RINO, if not outright RINO, depending on who you ask.