T Nation

Any Veggietarians?

I'm a veggietarian and wants to know other veggietarians diet for working out. I want to know the best way for a veggietarian to get the amount of protien and other vietmins. So please share you diets.

Just out of curiosity, why are you a vegetarian?

1) Religious reasons
2) You were raised that way
3) Ethical concerns (you think animals have rights)
4) You believe it's "healthier" than eating meat
5) You're dating a (hopefully hot) vegetarian chick

I'm not vegetarian, but I'd say nuts, nut butters, extra virgin olive oil (on salads with vinegar), lots of whey protein, eggs, milk, cottage cheese and other cheeses, fruits for carbs.

hmm, i wonder if anyone else on this site has ever asked this question before. if only there was a way to search through old threads for information...

I'm vegetarian (not vegan)...

My protein comes from:
eggs, beans, legumes, nuts, tofu, seitan, milk, yogurt, cheese, soy, more eggs, whey supplements

My other supplements:
bcaas, mulitvitamin, creatine

My daily eating is something like this:
6:00: 3 eggs, spinach, cheese, oj, milk, coffee, multivitamin, bcaa
10:00: piece of fruit, yogurt
12:00: leftovers from yesterdays meal 7, bcaa
14:00: cup of nuts (usually almonds)
17:00: (preworkout) protein shake (milk, whey powder, flax oil, sometimes fruit), bcaa, creatine
18:30: (postworkout) same as 5
20:00: protein heavy/light carb meal (I eat a lot of ethnic food... mexican, chinese, thai, indian, etc), bcaa

First, just as a heads up, you're likely going to get grief from members for not eating meat anyway. The least you could do is nix the "veggietarian" label and spell it less cute-sy.

I spent two months as a vegetarian/vegan. I lost 12 pounds, but got stronger and leaner.
http://chriscolucci.blogspot.com/2009/04/life-without-my-meat-part-1.html

Dr. John Berardi spent about a month as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. He gained 7 pounds, 5 pounds of which was muscle.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/can_vegetarians_build_muscle

So yes, if it's planned right, you can definitely gain muscle and/or lose fat.

For protein, it's going to be nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and rice, pea, and hemp protein powders. If you're allowing yourself dairy and eggs, it gets much easier.

Don't go overboard on carb sources (grains, breads), and be sure to get your healthy fats (oils, nuts, seeds, avocados). And don't skimp on a variety of vegetables and fruits. If you fall into eating the same foods over and over again, you'll be short-changing yourself.

I am curious though, like ds1973 asked, why are you vegetarian?

Based on your thread last year...
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/i_need_some_diet_advice
You had lost some weight (presumably fat) with a regular, albeit poorly designed, omnivore's diet.

Almost forgot...

When I was lacto-ovo (allowing dairy and eggs):

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1Tbsp. butter, 1 cup grapes.
Lunch: 15 blue corn tortilla chips, 1 cup 4% cottage cheese, 1/2 cup salsa.
Afternoon: 1 pear, 1 scoop of Metabolic Drive in about 10 ounces of 1% milk.
Dinner: 2 cups whole wheat pasta, 3 thick slices eggplant, 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella, 2 cups chopped tomato.
Night: 2 scoops of Metabolic Drive in water with two tablespoons of sunflower seeds.

When I was vegan (no animal products):

Breakfast: 1/2 cup amaranth, 1 apple.
Lunch: 2 slices Ezekiel bread, ghetto guacamole (1 fork-smashed avocado, garlic powder, kosher salt).
Afternoon: 3 scoops rice protein in water with 1 orange.
Dinner: 2 cups of vegan "chili" (black beans, red beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers), 1/4 cup quinoa.
Night: 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds.

Neither plan was awesome and, looking back on it, they certainly could've been tweaked. Learn as you go, huh?

i curious about this type of eating myself, so my question to you is what type of lifting/training do you do?