Any Vegetarians? Green Smoothies?

I don’t think I will find too many vegetarians here but if there are, how are things going for you? My goal at the moment is to decrease fat, so I am eating maybe like 1500 calories a day. One big meal a day for lunch and smaller meals throughout the rest of the day plus going to the gym.

Has anyone done green smoothies here? Blending spinach, kale, parsley, etc. with fruits? It gives you a lot of energy and would be good for cutting I would imagine. Not to mention the plethora of nutrients and antioxidants you get.

you’ll end up with a vitamin beef deficiency

Your cals seem way too low, how much do you weigh? I think my dog eats more than 1500 cals a day…

1500kcal on mainly carbs, on a fat-loss-diet? Sounds like a disaster plan.

[quote]Receptor wrote:
I don’t think I will find too many vegetarians here but if there are, how are things going for you? My goal at the moment is to decrease fat, so I am eating maybe like 1500 calories a day. One big meal a day for lunch and smaller meals throughout the rest of the day plus going to the gym.

Has anyone done green smoothies here? Blending spinach, kale, parsley, etc. with fruits? It gives you a lot of energy and would be good for cutting I would imagine. Not to mention the plethora of nutrients and antioxidants you get. [/quote]

Blending with most fruits is going to be close to disastrous, because you’re basically nailing your body with a huge influx of sugar.

Personally, I’ve had good results with variations of the basic meal-replacement type shake as suggested in ‘The Virgin Diet.’

This consists of frozen kale and/or spinach, coconut milk drink (the milk replacement stuff made of coconut milk & water), flax and/or chia seed, a serving of berries (something on the lower glycemic/sugar end of the spectrum like raspberries or blackberries), and a big serving of pea/rice protein powder.

End total calories are manageable, macros are very solid (and easily adjustable for your personal program), glycemic index is low, fiber & micronutrients are excellent. Plus your primary energy source is seed & coconut fat, as opposed to a huge blast of sugar as would be the case from just blending assorted fruits. For me, this keeps energy levels steadier, and it personally manages hunger a lot better than more sugar-based shakes/smoothies.

Vegetarian/vegan strength training is easily do-able, but it does have its own set of challenges.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
you’ll end up with a vitamin beef deficiency[/quote]
Hehe.

[quote]Receptor wrote:
I don’t think I will find too many vegetarians here but if there are, how are things going for you? My goal at the moment is to decrease fat, so I am eating maybe like 1500 calories a day. One big meal a day for lunch and smaller meals throughout the rest of the day plus going to the gym.[/quote]
There are a few vegetarians floating around, bingbeast comes to mind but I don’t think he keeps a log on here, but there’s definitely in the minority. You can certainly drop fat and build muscle without meat, but even without knowing more details about your training and nutrition, you’re doing it wrong.

1500 calories for a 190 pound guy who lifts weights is basically a crash diet that’s pretty much guaranteed to lose muscle so you end up smaller and soft/flabby. What are your particular diet restrictions? Can you have eggs or dairy?

What does your weekly training look like - days lifting, exercises, sets, reps, and cardio?

It’s not uncommon to throw some vegetables (usually spinach) into a shake, but that’s along with a protein source of some kind. An all-vegetable shake (like just kale, celery, spinach, carrot, and ice) would give you a big hit of vitamins and minerals, but no significant calories or macros, which are what you need when cutting.

I was wondering if any vegetarians use Chlorella and/or Spirulina. I have just researched them a bit but, they both seem to be high in protein. I never see them mentioned in these threads.

I’m only eating fish at home now, 200ish grams of wild salmon a day. Get the rest (150g+) of my protein from whey, casein, milk, and eggs.

If I’m out and have the opportunity to eat meat, of course I will though. I just don’t want to pay and cook for it at home.

For the month or so I’ve been doing this I’ve felt great and have had great progress. I’ve also eliminated gluten (again, if I’m out with friends, I don’t mind then) and think this has had a good effect as well. If you’re a vegetarian just stick to your powders and you’ll be fine…

If you’re a vegan…good luck?

Getting a ton of greens is great but leave out the fruit from the smoothies

[quote]Receptor wrote:

Has anyone done green smoothies here? Blending spinach, kale, parsley, etc. with fruits? It gives you a lot of energy and would be good for cutting I would imagine. Not to mention the plethora of nutrients and antioxidants you get. [/quote]

I’ve tried this, back when I was more of a hippy (it’s true). I didn’t put in a lot of sweet fruit; I basically used one banana most of the time. Peanut or almond butter make great ingredients, as do hemp milk and almond milk. If you got stems and shake lying around you could throw those in too if you’re bored

Well I can eat eggs and dairy…my biggest meal is lunch. I probably eat mostly carbs, then fats, then protein :(. I drink a whey protein shake with almond milk after working out. I work out for about an hour. 5 mins of cardio, then 40mins of light weight lifting (where I am keeping my heart pumping with more reps…) and then like 15 mins of cardio afterward. I do this 4 days a week.

I also have had hormonal issues in the past which I made a thread on the t-replacement section. Such as hypothyroid and what not. Problem is, if I eat a lot of calories, I will get fat…even if I am going to the gym. plus my exercise stamina is not that great, and I mentally hate the gym I find it to be boring. But I still go and usually feel better. If I work myself too hard I feel horrible though. Once I fell over due to low blood pressure.

My goal is to eat better and exercise. Lose fat…you know, everyone’s goal!

I imagine that lentils would be your friend.

No controversy like with soy, and you can make lentil soup in bulk and drink it throughout the day as a kind of vegan protein-shake.