T Nation

Any Value to Getting a Pump?

Dax, I used to get great pumps when was younger. As the years went by and I changed from higher-rep bodybuilding training to powerlifting type training, the pump was gone, yet I still got bigger, stronger with good muscle definition. I think the pump is way overrated.

I can definitely identify with the motivation factor. When I was younger and trained in my basement, I would go into the bathroom with my shirt off and look in the mirror when I was done. It was so cool to see all my muscles pumped up.
Roughly six months later I randomly looked at myself in the same mirror with my shirt off, but not pumped up. And I looked just as big. That was cool.

[quote]Kim Jong-il wrote:
TopSirloin wrote:
Kim Jong-il wrote:
the pump helps build muscle from pure motivation.
If gives you a glimpse of what you could soon have for real, but in a very short time (15 minutes or so). this means you won’t be accustomed to it like you would get accustomed to your slow actual muscle increase. This is why it is so motivational

Maybe, but an extreme pump, that goes beyond a normal pump, would negate gains. This means by worrying about motivating yourself by checking out the “fake” progress, you are going to likely just keep seeing more “fake” progress. It’s like stopping to stare at each pile of leaves as you rake the yard. Sure you are patting yourself on the back as you are making some progress, but all the time spent checking out your “pile” could be time spent actually getting more work done… so the wife doesn’t start yelling at you!

Also, since protein accretion is very slow even with the best diet and training. A trainee would hardly recognize their gains, especially if their “posing their pump” a couple times per week. Maybe every few months, especially in a fat loss mode, might be helpful.

TopSirloin

yes, but (if i continue with your analogy) when i your end goal of raking involves raking a shed load of leaves then looking at how much you’ve done already will prove that no matter hoiw big the rest of the pile looks you have still done sonmething. In your analogy that something is not fake.
Getting a pump is kind of ‘fake’ BUT it still provides motivation. There is no arguing this simple point as it works for me. Therefore if it works atleast once for any one person at any time then it can’t be false.[/quote]

Arnold was also full timing the juice…totally differant in the “O natural”.

Well, it’s not from “Education of a Bodybuilder,” but Arnold on the pump nonetheless (from Pumping Iron and paraphrased)

The pump is like cumming. When you work out, it’s like cumming. So I can cum in the gym, cum when I eat, cum in bed. It’s like I’m cumming all the time.

[quote]Buoycall wrote:
Well, it’s not from “Education of a Bodybuilder,” but Arnold on the pump nonetheless (from Pumping Iron and paraphrased)

The pump is like cumming. When you work out, it’s like cumming. So I can cum in the gym, cum when I eat, cum in bed. It’s like I’m cumming all the time.[/quote]

And anything that’s like cumming has to be good!

It also helps prevent disease.

[quote]magyar wrote:
Dax, I used to get great pumps when was younger. As the years went by and I changed from higher-rep bodybuilding training to powerlifting type training, the pump was gone, yet I still got bigger, stronger with good muscle definition. I think the pump is way overrated. [/quote]

EXACTLY! I’m all for finding motivation, but there is no smart trainee or bodybuilder training specifically for a pump. As stated, and even with powerlifting/olympic lifting, muscles will naturally get a slight pump - it’s only natural to have more blood flow to the area being worked. Even if doing rep max singles you will get some pump, just not extreme. In any event, your muscles will appear larger with this slight/moderate pump, so there is your motivation. But, doing a quadruple+ superset of wrist curls as was mentioned earlier, just to get a 4-arm pump, is a serious waste of time.

Want some motivation? Work on putting up 3, 4, 500 bills on a lift; build 18" arms and calves; build 30" thighs; build a back so thick and wide that people think you have a tumor growing out your side! I believe that motivation and purpose for doing anything should come from inside - you don’t have to prove yourself to anyone but yourself. BUT, once you turn a few heads, you feel like you have accomplished something and then some. To beat a dead walrus, a pump doesn’t really mean anything except that you know how to shut down the cell membranes so you look “cool”.

TopSirloin

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Buoycall wrote:

The pump is like cumming. When you work out, it’s like cumming. So I can cum in the gym, cum when I eat, cum in bed. It’s like I’m cumming all the time.

And anything that’s like cumming has to be good!

It also helps prevent disease.[/quote]

Getting a pump prevents disease? Or cumming? Or cumming while you have a pump?

Quite frankly, they all seems like decent ideas.