Any Type 2 Diabetics Here?

[quote]mrcat wrote:
I’m not really qualified to answer. I had a hard time finding information on normal level, when I searched awhile back. The link below is the best I found.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-sugar/SA00102/SI=2279

I’d say yours seems fine, only I’m not sure about would be the high 190s spikes. [/quote]

Thanks mrcat. I think I agree with you. Everything seems pretty normal except for the couple of high spikes.

[quote]as wrote:
A question for you guys with experience with blood sugar results. I have recently been testing my blood sugar like 15 times a day to see how I react to different foods, excercise, etc., because of a bout with pancreatis, and just out of general curiousity. To make a long story short my morning fasting level is usually 70-80. My high glycemic post workout carb meal (corn flakes with whey) gets it to about 120 and then it drops to about 60-70 within 3 hrs.

If I have a high carb meal any other time of the day it spikes pretty high like 150 and a couple occasions 198. Then it drops down to about 80 after 3-4 hours. Are these spikes and drops normal? I also notice I get very sleepy if I eat carbs any other time of the day other than my post workout meal. Like I’ve been hit with a tranquilizer dart. It’s getting to be a pain in the ass felling like this unless I’m on low carbs all the time.[/quote]

The way I understand it, after your lift training, your muscles are more receptive to glucose uptake and the fat cells are less receptive. This causes you to more rapidly absorb glucose to replace muscle glycogen after your workout. When you get the high glycemic meal without the workout prior, the muscles are not as receptive to glucose uptake, so it takes longer to metabolize. Plus your metabolism will be burning it faster for the first 4 hours after your training as well.

hi not a diabetic but my name may give u a clue as to why i know about diabetes

you have type II diabetes which means that the insulin you have isn’t working too well. this is usually a genetic thing but can also be down to the fact that you may have too much fat on board. the meds that you take help get the insulin to work better or increase the amount of insulin floating around. at this early stage u won’t need insulin- if at all. this tends to be used later on

training wise to stop swings u need to make sure you have a good base line sugar before using it up. this is because your body can’t cope with swings in sugar as your insulin isn’t working so well. Go for foods with a low glycaemic index. in other words things with complex carbs that take some time to release their sugar- brown bread , wholemeal pasta etc. You also need to be careful which supplements you use- some can put your sugar up too but those do have a warning on the side

all in all training and in particular reducing your body fat is a good idea as it will improve the insulin u have got on board’s ability. hope this helps

Just a quick note that much of my research focused on Type II diabetes, and my current Article Insider is about a supplement that can help with this condition (as well as fat loss).

If interested, you can sign up at:
http://www.RaiseTheBarr.net

Hope that helps!

Ok I am a type 2 diabetic 51 years old and new to BB I have been working out for 2 months, I weigh 232 and am 5’8". My wife and I have been on the meat and egg diet for 22 days eating no carbs my blood sugar is comming down at a wonderful rate. WE had bloodwork done 2 weeks ago and we are going to the DR. tomorrow. I want to see what our bloodwork will tell the DR.

Well I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump and have been for 20 years now. I have tried a lot of things nutrition wise over the years to help my diabetes. You definitely have to listen to your body and how it reacts to foods and supplements. Might consider being tested for food allergies.

The bright side is they have made huge progress in diabetes and are doing fda studies now on implanting encapsulated pancreatic cells in the fat layer via a syringe which can rid you of diabetes. I can’t speak for type 2 but assume it would do the same, not sure. I am on the list but didnt met the first protocol standards. Hopefully I will be getting mine in 2007.

Good luck,
Allen

Ok Here it goes, I eat only meat,eggs and cheese,cream and butter. I eat 60% fat and 40% protein. I am burnning off fat very fast.I have for 2 weeks been using low reps hi weight working my upper body Monday and lower body on wed then upper body on friday. I take in 1200 to 1700 calories per day ,but burn 2500 to 3000 calories a day, this is working for me. The tape measure never lies.

My blood sugar is comming down in a month i will not have to take the pills at all. My blood presure is falling also my Doctor will have to reduce my blood presure meds this next trip to the office. All my aches and pains have gone away I feel so much younger. My entergy level is up all the time and I just feel good all the time.

I am a type II Diabetic as well
the importatn thing for tou to know is that there are basically 2 groups of type II adult onset diabetics.
The obese Type II which represents about 90 to 95% of all T2DM and the normal weight or thin T2DM which is essentially the rest.

These are two similar but somewhat different manifestations of the same basic disease. The difference is that you will almost undoubtedly require Insulin at some point. Insulin is a double edged sword, and at some point you will need it to maintain muscle mass, but its tendency to cause fat gain will be a problem. Not as great a s it is for the obese type II, but a problem nevertheless.

If I were you, I would seek out an endocrinologist who specializes in daibetes and stick with them for you diabetes care. Primary care MD do a great job with most diabetics, but those of us who have less common forms and want the absolute optimal care, need an experienced diabetologist.

Catch me with any other questions. i have battled from over 500+ lbs to 224 and understand the frustration of DMT2 qand I am an Internal Medicine doc as well.

Marcus

I am a type II Diabetic as well
the importatn thing for tou to know is that there are basically 2 groups of type II adult onset diabetics.
The obese Type II which represents about 90 to 95% of all T2DM and the normal weight or thin T2DM which is essentially the rest.

These are two similar but somewhat different manifestations of the same basic disease. The difference is that you will almost undoubtedly require Insulin at some point. Insulin is a double edged sword, and at some point you will need it to maintain muscle mass, but its tendency to cause fat gain will be a problem. Not as great a s it is for the obese type II, but a problem nevertheless.

If I were you, I would seek out an endocrinologist who specializes in daibetes and stick with them for you diabetes care. Primary care MD do a great job with most diabetics, but those of us who have less common forms and want the absolute optimal care, need an experienced diabetologist.

Catch me with any other questions. i have battled from over 500+ lbs to 224 and understand the frustration of DMT2 qand I am an Internal Medicine doc as well.

Marcus