Any Topics Floating Around?

I’m in the house for three hours…

Dan,

2 questions on the Overhead squat

When performing the overhead squat, are the arms always completely locked or is there some bend in them?

I have found by “pushing” p against the bar, tends to stabilize the bar as I am doing the overhead squat

oh, by the way, I did RDL’s last week exactly as you described them in GET UP, I used 135 for 2 sets of 8. Still cant quite walk right and 3 days later when I was squatting, the bottom of the squat was excruciating. I do think that the RDL would be a great spinal rehab tool, if done with nothing more than a broomstick or maybe light dumbells-any thoughts on that?

Keith

If you choose only one ‘oddball’ piece of training equipment for the home or back yard, what would it be?

The funny thing is…you are experienced! When I work with novices…they have no idea how those two big boas living in their lower back got there…

The RDL…done right…might replace a gym full of stuff. Try the broomsticks, but we found that you need a ‘bare’ amount of weight to get the feel.

I like totally locked out arms…ripping the bar apart overhead. Strive to pull it apart and see if that helps…

Dave,

Your friendly, neighborhood rock. Strive for more than fifty pounds…run with it, run and throw it, throw it, walk with it.

I just “borrowed” mine…I’ll bring it back.

I’m working on an update to the “One Lift a Day” article. Just too much new experience and discussion to ignore it. I’m getting a lot of emails about combining it with some of my variations ideas…so…

Look for it…

Hi! I really like your common sense, down-to-earth approach and wanted to “pick your brain” a bit. I’ve been lifting for a few months now, focussing on getting back into shape and losing some fat.

My routine includes squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, bb lunges, stepups, bench press, dips, etc. I’m trying to keep it simple and use the best basic compound lifts. Once I reach my goal weight, I want to treat myself with a session with a trainer to learn some of the more complicated/olympic lifts. Any thoughts on the best ones to learn and the best ways to learn them? Thanks!

Dan,

Not sure if this is an odd question or not, but given your “real” job and your faith, I was curious if those things affected your approach to training/fitness/being healthy/etc.? Perhaps something as simple as much-needed perspective?

I have always been interested in the possible interaction between one’s beliefs and fitness (sound soul in a sound body?). Not sure if my question is clear or only clear as mud.

Thanks.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

Oly lifting? Just start throwing some weights around or try to find some one who knows what they are doing to help?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I’m working on an update to the “One Lift a Day” article. Just too much new experience and discussion to ignore it. I’m getting a lot of emails about combining it with some of my variations ideas…so…

Look for it…[/quote]

G’day Dan,

Could you please check out the last 2-3 posts on the OLAD thread? Myself and “scrooge” were discussing the OHS and wouldn’t mind your opinion. Don’t want to repeat the questions unnecessarily.

Thanks,

Ben

Dan, just want to start by saying you have given me some awesome info. Someone pointed me towards your one day a lift article and i spent half the day reading all the articles on your site instead of studying for kinetics :frowning:

Few question:

1. What is your opinion on Oly lifts for the general lifter? If one doesnt have a coach do you think that one can properly learn them well enough to do them safely and in a way to will yield good results?

2. Do you have other oddball exersises that are fullbody feats of strength/power(some would call them ‘finishers’ I guess). Stuff that could be done in a commerical gym would be cool.

3. One of the reasons I like your articles is because you dont over complicate stuff. You seem to have a love for KISS which I personally admire. With that said do you have any reccomendations for basic strength/funciontal size workout routines? Or if you dont have specifics do you have anyone whos work you praticularly admire in that regard? I have always found Bill Starr’s stuff to be dirt simple and effective.

Looking forward to the One Lift a Day PT2 article!

Let’s address all of this!

I think the key to bodyfat loss is a little different than most…at least for training.

First, I think that fat loss (only next to muscle gain) is one of the most difficult things you can do. Don’t believe me? Look around…

So, my approach is to trick the body a little. If you go to a macronutrient cutback diet (Low carb or low fat), you should balance this with a training approach that won’t freak you out…and make you cling to fat.

So, I tell people: find a weak bodypart and make that the focus during fat loss. Personally, it is my arms. I had geek arms (O lifting issue) for a generation. When I went on my cutting program from 272 to 226, I focused on arms two days a week: nothing else. Then, one other day a week, I did compound movements like you suggest. At the time, I did a workout of Front Squats on Tuesday…and discovered that I seemed to progress on another day of Clean and Press on Friday. Weekends a long “Hike or Bike or Blade.” Don’t time it, just go for a long time. The bodyfat fell off of me without ever stressing the system.

I would suggest this approach for the bulk of us who have “lives.” Try two days of a weak point training and one…maybe, two…day(s) of compound work, but VERY simple!!! I would encourage a long(ish) low stress movement one day a week, too.

If you use aerobics of any kind, well…

As for my career/faith life/job/private life…I would argue that my education has taught me two overriding things:

1. Integrity (the ability to be ONE person). The guy who is writing here is the guy who is in the gym who is the guy at the office who is the guy on the road. One person.

2. Moderation/Balance…you have to be sure to hold yourself in balance at all times. I always talk about my rest/work/play/pray quotient. Booze? Bad/good? Well…it is the balance that you have it in your life. Driving a bus of kids…bad. Daughter’s wedding? Sure!

We can talk more…

Dan, good to see you on this site recently. I actually met you years ago at a meet at USU. I was a college roomate of Paul N. for two years. My question is where is your MLB page and any thoughts on writing a similar article here. Thanks.

What kind of workouts would you give to an 15 year old looking mainly to increase his lifts? I’m saving up money to buy a power rack at elitefts so I can do you 1 lift a day program, but right now I can train 4 days a week. Like what kinda of rep ranges and exersises would you suggest?

I will hop over to the OLAD thread asap.

1. What is your opinion on Oly lifts for the general lifter? If one doesnt have a coach do you think that one can properly learn them well enough to do them safely and in a way to will yield good results?

DJ: cost to benefit ratio here…why do you want to do them? Key question…

I basically spend much of my year JUST doing them. In fact, I was talking to Charles Staley today and wondered out loud why I just don’t do them exclusively.

I taught myself a terrible technique…THEN Dick Notmeyer smoothed it out. I would argue: “Do, then Perfect.”

1. Do you have other oddball exersises that are fullbody feats of strength/power(some would call them ‘finishers’ I guess). Stuff that could be done in a commerical gym would be cool.

DJ: I have a DVD coming out about this!!!
Take a dumbbell…as heavy as you can…just one…and walk with it as far as you can. Just one at the side like a suitcase.

1. One of the reasons I like your articles is because you dont over complicate stuff. You seem to have a love for KISS which I personally admire. With that said do you have any reccomendations for basic strength/funciontal size workout routines? Or if you dont have specifics do you have anyone whos work you praticularly admire in that regard? I have always found Bill Starr’s stuff to be dirt simple and effective.

DJ: My website is devoted to this!!!

That’s all I think about!!!

Dolfzine redid the article. Go to my website, danjohn.org and look for Old Stuff and the article is listed there…along with a bunch from T-mag.

When I was 15, I saved up a year for an adjustable incline bench. In hindsight, I should have bought an Olympic Bar.

At 15, I would suggest you go to my site, click on “The Book” and read the 97 page treatise that I wrote for you!!! It’s free!

I’m not much of a businessman. This “free” idea doesn’t generate the kind of revenues one would think…

Paul Northway, by the way, just had a little girl, Jody. He has an older boy, Cole…who is just very cool.

Where is he living, I lost touch with him over the years.

I just talked to him on the phone. He is here in SLC, but he is hoping for a professorship in the fall. PM me and I will send you his email…tomorrow. It is at my work computer.

Most of the athletes I have worked with in the past have done very well financially and professionally. I think…really…this is better than their on-field performances. My doctor and my lawyer are both former athletes…

Dan,

Since OLAD has us working each muscle group once a week, I was wondering if you ever recommend working each group multiple times a week, even up to 3X (total body). Personally, I’ve had more success with the latter, but that may have been due to a lack of volume. Just wanted your opinion.

BTW, I’m more interested in strength these days, knowing that I’ll still see some gains in hypertrophy.

Thanks

Of course, I have worked legs and traps five days a week…it is called “Training for the O lifts!” Your legs, butt, lower back and traps pop out of your clothes.

I have a bunch of old, moldy workouts at danjohn.org

Check out the back issues of Get Up for a million ideas as well as the free book. I have about 10,000 ideas for training…but it is all smoke and mirrors without putting the work in.