1)diet determines gains as much as training/count macros
2)get stronger
3)do mobility work
4)sleep and recover
5)for hypertrophy train in higher reps
6)consistency
7)progressive overload, more weight+more reps
8)keep a training log

i'm 5"10 155 so i'm a stick, i trained for two years and got up to 190 fat.
now i'm back down to 155 with nothing to show
i've just started 5/3/1 with ws4sb template as accessory
i aim to get more reps and increase the weight with good form on all my lifts
this year i actually want to start to look like i lift...

stats
bench 180
squat atg 135x20
deadlift-300
military press-115

• be patient
  • be consistent
  • hard work does not mean taking sets to failure; it means doing things over and over
  • sleep is so underrated
  • so are contrast showers (sorry)
  • emphasise compound movements, use a few isolation exercises to target specific areas
  • pull ups are awesome

Eat, Lift, Sleep, Repeat.

In all honesty and seriousness....

1. MOBILYITY WORK. I don't care how loose you feel get better. As you get stronger it will be hardfer and harder to correct problems and its 10000000x easier to keep mobility than it is to get it back.

2. You do not have to go stupid heavy in order to get strong. Volume works for every one at least to a extent.

3. Rest is not you enemy.

4. Leave your ego alone.

5. STEAK, MILK, AND EGGS

6. Grow facial hair... unless your a female.... unless your just into that.

I would add oats, rice and pb&j. Dem carbs.

read a bunch of Dan John articles

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dan_johns_top_10_tips

Understand that this is pretty terrible and was a giant waste of your time. Get pissed off by that fact and use that as motivation to stick to a well-designed training and nutrition routine.

What? Like, huh? I just don't... why would... how would... um, okay. Good luck with that, even though Wendler has literally said that's a bad idea.

"People ask the craziest shit. 'Can I combine 5/3/1 with Westside for Skinny Bastards?' Why not just do one or the other and make progress? These same guys then bitch three months later on some message board that the program didn't work."
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Or. More reps or more weight is a rule of thumb for prolonged progress. If you can do both, even better, but shooting for one or the other, depending on your goal and the exercise in question, still makes for a solid training session.

Why is this the only lift listed for 20 reps?

(I guess I didn't technically offers any "tips for success", but for my money, making sure you do a complete 180 from your recent past is the best tip I can suggest.)

Take a year, and follow original 531 to the letter, eat alot, and sleep alot. At the end of said year you will have more size, and strength. This base will make the WS4SB program alot more effective, if thats what you decide to do after your first year. Mashing shit togeather, and trying to reinvent the wheel is only going to get you what you already got. Remember the easiest way to get somewhere, is to follow the foot steps of someone who's already there. Thats my 2cents after 20yrs of lifting, and coaching. Goodluck

Some good advice so far. I would add:

1) surround yourself with like minded, motivated, positive people (in the gym and in every facet of your life); positive people will lift you up, negative people will pull you down.

2) try to find someone who is where you want to be, befriend them, and ask them if they would mind you working out with them. Chances are you may need to abandon your previous prejudices, program, and may need to prove to them that you are serious about this (be prepared to get put through the ringer a little at first to see if you'll cave when pushed, but know that if you don't you'll have earned respect). This person has likely already been where you are though, and can help you to avoid a lot of the pitfalls that you may have encountered along the way to getting where they are/you want to be. Remember that there is no better teacher than experience; so try to find someone who has it.

3) In addition to mobility work, perform pre habilitation work (stuff like rotator cuff work, core stability exercises, etc...) at the end of your workout to further reduce your chances of injury

4) Keep your eyes on the prize. "Tough times don't last; tough people do." Know that no matter how well you plan or how hard and smart you train, you will run into roadblocks along your journey, everyone does. What is important is that when you do, it will ultimately fall on your shoulders to determine whether the roadblock becomes an impassible obstacle or a jumping off point to get you further towards your goal.

I realize this is all cerebral, mental advice, but to be honest, the vast, vast majority of people who have ever stepped into a gym, picked up some weights, or started exercising was capable of making drastic improvements to how their body looked, performed, and felt. What separates those who actually succeed from those who don't is more often than not dependent on what is between their ears and in their "heart".