T Nation

Any Tips for Door Frame Pull-Ups?

Not a pull-up with a device attached to the door frame, but a pull-ups with JUST the door frame. Like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l3Pkpz5llTU

I got a pull-up bar this year. I was using it a ton. Up to 200 reps a day, up to 8 or 9 reps in one set. Not that impressive, but I couldn’t even do one until last year.

Now, I’m barely at home and can only get 50 a day at the most. I’m back down to 5 in one set at the most. I’m currently not strong enough to do door frame pull-ups. If I could though, I could sneak a ton of them in while at work or almost anywhere.

I’ve searched and I’ve only found videos of really lean dudes doing them (Which I’m not), but no actual program or advice on how to do them other than taking up rock climbing.

Can anyone help?

[photo]10664[/photo]

Get a fingerboard/hangboard. Its more versatile than a doorframe, which unless its metal like the one in the video, you’ll end up just ripping the trim off your doorway. I used to climb all the time and did all kinds of pull-ups, 2 fingers, 3 fingers, little edges, big edges, and off the slopers. I’ve just been doing just normal pull ups off the jugs lately, which pisses me off because I used to climb all the time.

There are all kinds of designs out. Mine’s a Nicros and Metolious makes some other designs. Just mount a sheet of plywood to the studs in the wall and then screw the hangboard to the plywood.

Its a great training tool for finger, forearm, and upper back strength. I need to start using it more.

My freshman year roommate was a semipro boulderer (climbing short rocks). You gotta go with the fingerboard.