Any Sunglasses Afficionados Among Us?

All I know is, avoid the foster grant “iron man” brand. Unbreakable my ass.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

That’s still better than wearing them IN THE FUCKING GYM. There is one guy at my gym that does this. If he were more developed it might just create a “look” but since he looks very average, it makes it look like he is trying to look way more badass than he really is.

It’s a little like yellow spandex pants. If you have legs like Ronnie Coleman, you can wear that shit and most people won’t say a damn thing. However, if the last time you squatted MTV was actually playing real music, then leave the pants alone.[/quote]

lmao…

Do you get extra points if your veins show through the pants?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Professor X wrote:

That’s still better than wearing them IN THE FUCKING GYM. There is one guy at my gym that does this. If he were more developed it might just create a “look” but since he looks very average, it makes it look like he is trying to look way more badass than he really is.

It’s a little like yellow spandex pants. If you have legs like Ronnie Coleman, you can wear that shit and most people won’t say a damn thing. However, if the last time you squatted MTV was actually playing real music, then leave the pants alone.

lmao…

Do you get extra points if your veins show through the pants?[/quote]

Shit, that’s the criteria. You can see Coleman’s pulse rate when he wears that shit.

There is only one logical choice for sunglasses.

I recently bought a pair of Ray Bans off of EBay for $25.00 … they came from Hong Kong and I gotta tell ya they’re great. Regardless of what you decide on buying, check out ebay for great deals.

But, I’m partial to polarized Ray Ban’s … They fit perfectly, look great, and, when I got fishing, the glare of the sun off the water isn’t noticeable at all…

Polo just bought knock off ray bans

best sunglasses i ave ever owned by far are from louis vuitton. I have never had a pair filter out the sunlight before. They cost around 450. My father is the biggest anti brand name person ever/cheapass and he now owns a pair after trying on mine.

^ no such things as glasses that filter out sunlight, they polarize and even $20 pairs can do it. Also, the darker the lenses the cheaper they are. Cheap lenses try to compensate for poor quality but using dark lenses to block out more light. Good sunglasses do not have to be very dark to be effective, good polarized lenses are actually pretty light in color.

Edit: UV rays are filtered, not all sunlight

[quote]G87 wrote:
Oakleys Romeos/Juliets FTW. Robust, indestructible sunglasses; my friend’s house burned down last year, but the glass frame was intact (minus the lenses and rubber bits). The Maui Jim line-up has nothing that can stand up to these 2 models.

Having said that, if I wasn’t going for the romeos or juliets, I’d probably look into some maui jims.
[/quote]

Well, if the OP’s criteria for sunglasses includes having the ability to stand in his house as it burns to the ground while wearing sunglasses then Oakley it is… :wink:

But seriously, I think the Romeos and the Juliets both look bad ass. I tried them both on. But even in the titanium frame they are just too damn heavy for me. They may be built like a tank, but it feels like a f**king M1A2 Abrams is perched on my nose.

For some people this is not a concern and the OP didn’t specify a preference. But for me ultra-feather weight was a must. So I had it narrowed down to Maui’s or Costa Del Mars. I went with the Maui’s because every single pair of their sunglasses are polarized. And side by side the optics were clearly better on the Maui’s.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
Polo just bought knock off ray bans[/quote]

Knock off or not, you couldn’t tell the difference. And for that price who gives a shit :slight_smile:

Another thing I should mention is I have had these things in Iraq for 8 months and not a scratch on them. Some of that is that I am careful with them, but I have dropped them on more than one occasion and the scratch resistant coating does it’s job.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
^ no such things as glasses that filter out sunlight, they polarize and even $20 pairs can do it. Also, the darker the lenses the cheaper they are. Cheap lenses try to compensate for poor quality but using dark lenses to block out more light. Good sunglasses do not have to be very dark to be effective, good polarized lenses are actually pretty light in color.

Edit: UV rays are filtered, not all sunlight[/quote]

Good to know. I should have said give the idea of filtering out? Whatever they do they are the best sunglasses I have owned.

I almost bought a pair of Maui Jims, I was comparing them to a pair of equally priced Revos, both around $220. The Maui Jims were nicer inside the store and the mall, but then I took both pairs outside on a bright winter day and the Revos were way, way nicer. Better color, better clarity, and better light filtering.

I like to consider myself a sunglass enthusiast. I’ve owned a half dozen Oakley’s, Wiley-X’s, Costa Del Mar’s and others I’m sure I’m forgetting. Right now I’m going between Oakley Gascan’s, Wiley XL-1’s and some tinted safety glasses FTW! Best ones ever were Costa Fathom’s with the polarized, mirrored, GLASS lenses, I cap GLASS because that’s important, while being heavier than the poly lenses in Oakley’s etc. they are way more resistant to scratches.

I had mine for a couple years and they never scratched i shit you not, I just happened to leave them in the wrong pocket while I was crawling around under a building one day and that was the end of them. While I whole-heartedly believe in polarized sunglasses, the one caution I will mention is that not all polarized sunglasses are created equal. While I love my polarized Costa’s and Maui’s that I’ve tried, I simply cannot wear polarized Oakley’s.

I bought a pair of polarized half-jacket’s and had to return the lenses and swap them out for non-polarized because the Oakley polarization filter does weird shit to my eyes and gives me headaches and nausea. So try before you buy.

[quote]tme wrote:
I almost bought a pair of Maui Jims, I was comparing them to a pair of equally priced Revos, both around $220. The Maui Jims were nicer inside the store and the mall, but then I took both pairs outside on a bright winter day and the Revos were way, way nicer. Better color, better clarity, and better light filtering.

[/quote]

x2 With the Maui’s on outside I still feel like I squinting when it’s very sunny. With the Revo’s I feel no eye strain.

If you don’t mind the price, Revo. Otherwise, buy the cheapest polarized pair you can find.

I bought a set of Arnette polarized shades ($100) last year and they’re great. They’re plastic frames too and haven’t scratched since I got them, and I use them at work.

Most of the brands you see at Sunglass Hut are good shades, just get polarized. Makes a big difference.

I have had my Maui Jim’s for about 6 months now and I love them. I had Lasik in February and ever sense then my eyes have been very light sensitive, the Maui Jim sunglasses let me go outside and not squint or have eye pain on bright days.

I have owned Maui Jim, Ray Ban and Oakley’s. All were expensive ($100+) but worth it. I would say that the Maui Jim lenses were best at blocking the sun while the Oakley’s were the weakest. I have been wearing Oakley GASCANs for the past 2 years.

I’m not a fan of Ray Bans or Oakleys. I bought a pair of Electric (Livewire is the style) and I love the different style rims and the lenses they offer (lens colors, I mean). Very understated and I don’t see them around that much.