Any Smiths Fans?

I was born in 81 so I was just a wee nipper when these guys were big. But I’ve been getting in to them in recent months.

I think lyrically, some of their stuff is unreal. I wonder where Morrisey gets it from sometimes. Stuff like How Soon is Now? for example. It’s just so depressing and dark. How could a man like Morrisey who was probably lusted after by so many, ever feel like that? What is he tapping in to?

Anyway, I’m no expert on them but would be good to hear from some fans…

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Anyway, I’m no expert on them but would be good to hear from some fans…[/quote]

I like the Smiths in a depressing monotone way. Actually, “How Soon is Now” (sometimes referred to as the “Stairway to Heaven of the eighties”) reminds me of clubbing at Spit on Landsdowne Street in 1985.

Some of it is alright.

they stole billy duuffy’s guitar sound.

I like The Smiths. …Just saw Morrissey last month, it was a remarkable show. One of my favourites is ‘handsome devil’…that song hits the spot. I wondered if he’d play ‘America is not the world’…it would have been funny.

As it was, he couldn’t sell out the smallish venue and joked …‘what, is Entourage on tonight or something?’…sad testament really. His commentary throughout the show was entertaining… and performance was top notch.

Lyrically I could get lost for days in the substance.

Send me the pillow …
The one that you dream on …
Send me the pillow …
The one that you dream on …
And I’ll send you mine

Anytime Moz.

I just wanted to bring up the fact that Mexicans love the Smiths and Morrissey and I find that amazingly interesting.

Only lknow a few tracks, but this charming man and the boy with a thorn in his side bothare really good

I love the Morrissey bit by comedian Dana Gould. Atypical M lyrics:

"I cried today,
Oh yes, I cried today.
Did I mention that I cried today?

I cried… and then I died."

here’s what i think of the smiths:

johnny marr wrote killer songs which morrissey then doused in self-loathing jizz.

[quote]swivel wrote:
here’s what i think of the smiths:

johnny marr wrote killer songs which morrissey then doused in self-loathing jizz.[/quote]

H’okay.

Are you pleased with him joining Modest Mouse?

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
I just wanted to bring up the fact that Mexicans love the Smiths and Morrissey and I find that amazingly interesting.[/quote]

Looking at your avatar I find your comments amazingly predictable.

The Queen is Dead & Meat is Murder–both are great albums.

Favorite Smiths tunes:
Hand in Glove
Boy With a Thorn in His Side
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Barbarism Begins at Home
The Headmasters Ritual
Still Ill
Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now

The Smiths are one of the only bands that can make being melancholy cool.

The smiths remind me of the Cure, but I like the Cure a lot more.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Pretzel Logic wrote:
I just wanted to bring up the fact that Mexicans love the Smiths and Morrissey and I find that amazingly interesting.

Looking at your avatar I find your comments amazingly predictable.[/quote]

I did read before that many latinos from the East L.A. subculture like Morrisey quite a bit and it is surprising. I have always like How Soon is Now.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Majin wrote:
Pretzel Logic wrote:

I did read before that many latinos from the East L.A. subculture like Morrisey quite a bit and it is surprising. I have always like How Soon is Now.

D[/quote]

Let’s hope he meant it that way. :slight_smile:

All my early girl friends were Smiths fans. In fact most of the girls I hung out with in High School liked the Smiths. I never knew any guys that listened to them though.
Morrissey mor-ris-sey - yes sir Mor

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
The smiths remind me of the Cure, but I like the Cure a lot more.[/quote]

Just listening to Boys Dont Cry as we speak, so to speak.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
Majin wrote:
Pretzel Logic wrote:

D

Let’s hope he meant it that way. :)[/quote]

I didn’t get the impression that he meant it in any other way.

My “ignorant Englishman who has watched too many Hollywood movies” impression of LA Mexicans, is that they all listen to Hip Hop and walk around in wife beaters and baggy shorts with a blunt behind their ear. So it is kind of interesting that they are in to a sexually ambiguous Enlgish Northern Monkey.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Majin wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
Majin wrote:
Pretzel Logic wrote:

D

Let’s hope he meant it that way. :slight_smile:

I didn’t get the impression that he meant it in any other way.

My “ignorant Englishman who has watched too many Hollywood movies” impression of LA Mexicans, is that they all listen to Hip Hop and walk around in wife beaters and baggy shorts with a blunt behind their ear. So it is kind of interesting that they are in to a sexually ambiguous Enlgish Northern Monkey.[/quote]

I understand where Majin is coming from. It’s not the post here rather posts from past threads. But, yeah, I see how the latino thing is interesting. That culture likes a lot of romantic oldies in addition to hip hop so, maybe that is where it comes from.

D

I’m definitely old enough to remember them but I’m no expert on them either; I can say you’re onto something though…enjoy.