T Nation

Any Servers Here on T-Nation?

I’ve been serving or bussing in the resturant business for about 5 years now and have developed a huge right shoulder from all the carrying. I never noticed until about 6 months ago and since then have starting carrying trays over head with my left arm.

Learning to carry with your non dominant arm is nerve racking but well worth the change in musclarity. My left shoulder and bicep have almost completely caught up with my right.

Anyone else have a similiar problem?

[nerd alert] I saw the title and thought you meant computers. Jeeez.

Server here as well. I bus too and work in the kitchen. Corporate, 15 - 20 dollar plates.

I enjoy it alot. Its a nice job to have while going to school. Flexible schedule, and isn’t too physically demanding so it allows me to have a heavy workload as far as training goes. Decent pay as well.

Havent noticed anything as far as muscular imbalances goes. But thats interesting how your dominant tray carrying shoulder is larger. Something I will take into consideration.

I used to work as a glassie in a nightclub and did notice an increase in strength from carrying large trays of glasses overhead. Not sure about changes in size though!

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
I’ve been serving or bussing in the resturant business for about 5 years now and have developed a huge right shoulder from all the carrying. I never noticed until about 6 months ago and since then have starting carrying trays over head with my left arm.

Learning to carry with your non dominant arm is nerve racking but well worth the change in musclarity. My left shoulder and bicep have almost completely caught up with my right.

Anyone else have a similiar problem?[/quote]

Did that gig for two years. I started to get it bad in the wrist from holding a large tray over my head…

phew, thought this was going to be another one bitching about tips

yeah i’ve done alot of that. never had shoulder problems but i shredded an ankle in high school and it would balloon up if i worked too many consecutive shifts. especially if i worked some doubles, which i liked to do. i started just taping it all the time and that helped.

Worst problem I usually have is chafing. On a Saturday double, I’m on fire by 7 with 4 hours still to go.

However, this past Saturday I was a food runner all day. 12 hour shift. I was chafed as hell and my fingers and shoulders were killing me (we can’t use trays, the plates must be stacked up the arms). But I made damn good money, so I didn’t mind so much.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:
[nerd alert] I saw the title and thought you meant computers. Jeeez.[/quote]

I only opened it because I thought he meant serving time. What a let down!

I definitely get the chaffing too. At my resturant the aren’t allowed to have “too baggy” pants and our manager has to check them out. I had to buy mulitple pairs of under armour undies to not get crotch rot/nut burn.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:
[nerd alert] I saw the title and thought you meant computers. Jeeez.[/quote]

At first I did too, and then I actually had the thought “How could a person be a server?” and assumed he meant worked with servers. My nerd mind actually argued with itself and then reconciled the possibility this could be about computers before I even read it.

BTW, Ive found that Spike is a gift from the gods for servers.

Gives me the mental energy and clarity to make it threw long shifts/doubles/heavy dinner rushes.

I can say with absolute certain that when i use Spike, I remember drink/food orders SIGNIFICANTLY better. Sometimes If I pop 2 Spikes or have a Spike and coffee, I can pretty much leave my tablet sheet for writing down orders at home, I can usually remember even a 10 top’s order or more.

HOT-ROX did the same for me when I was serving. I think it helped me make better tips because I wasn’t so irritable from the low cals.

Anyway. I’m just a busser now and all I do is carry heavy overhead.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
BTW, Ive found that Spike is a gift from the gods for servers.[/quote]

Yup. Best thing that ever happened to my Saturday doubles.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
T-Nick wrote:
BTW, Ive found that Spike is a gift from the gods for servers.

Yup. Best thing that ever happened to my Saturday doubles.[/quote]

shave down your ass fluff and the chaffing goes away.