Any Rugby Players?

We had a huge forward pack at my school UC@# so me at 6’1’’ 240 at the time played inside center lol. It was real fun to get to smash so often. If you have hands and speed they could start you off as winger until you picked up the game more. I would honestly recommend watching a bunch of all blacks, ireland,south africa, england, and italy rugby highlights on youtube and see the flow of the game and how the backs line up so you can be aware of where people will be without having to look.
I fucking loved playing rugby and to whomever said to not expect hard hits you’re a joke. I have sent a few people to the hospital and witnessed hit ten times as brutal as most I have seen in football. NO PADS all glory.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Rugby = greatest non-stick sport on earth.
(Lacrosse = greatest stick sport on earth)
[/quote]

Er not lacrosse :slight_smile:

Google “Hurling”

[quote]Oxen wrote:
If your conditioning is up to par, try flanker or 8 man. Either way, rugby is pretty damn fun. Don’t go in expecting the big hits from football, cause you don’t really see a lot of that.[/quote]

Er what rugby matches are you watching ?

It’s a harder version of your type of football.

No pads they’re for women !

[quote]Voluminous wrote:

[quote]Oxen wrote:
If your conditioning is up to par, try flanker or 8 man. Either way, rugby is pretty damn fun. Don’t go in expecting the big hits from football, cause you don’t really see a lot of that.[/quote]

Er what rugby matches are you watching ?

It’s a harder version of your type of football.

No pads they’re for women ![/quote]

Pleaseee no American football v rugby debates! I’m guessing the only reason he put not many big hits because he plays /watches a low standard.

I’ve played both sports, and football is much harder hitting. I’ve never heard somebody who played both sports disagree with that… It doesn’t make one more manly than the other. It’s just the way the sports are designed.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
I’ve played both sports, and football is much harder hitting. I’ve never heard somebody who played both sports disagree with that… It doesn’t make one more manly than the other. It’s just the way the sports are designed. [/quote]

Going to have to disagree with you on that one. I played football for five years and I’ve been playing rugby for five years. I can say without any hesitation that rugby is much harder hitting. The tackles in rugby may be structured so that you use your opponent’s momentum to bring them down, however the simple lack of padding makes every single hit count. Not only that, but playing in the tight five is higher impact than any offensive or defensive line play.

With your height I’d probably say you’re looking at front row (hooker in particular) or perhaps scrum half. One of my favourite things about rugby though is that the stereotypical body shapes for players are rarely adhered to. When Jonah Lomu first came along everyone thought he was far too big for a winger and nowadays wingers of his size are a lot more common. So you’ll probably find yourself bumped around the pitch until you find the position that best fits your body shape and your skills (which are in my opinion far more important, good small guy will always have the measure of poor huge guy.)

Good to see more people getting into rugby, hugely underrated sport. Do you know what sort of level you’re playing at?

[quote]Welsh_Lifter_91 wrote:
With your height I’d probably say you’re looking at front row (hooker in particular) or perhaps scrum half. One of my favourite things about rugby though is that the stereotypical body shapes for players are rarely adhered to. When Jonah Lomu first came along everyone thought he was far too big for a winger and nowadays wingers of his size are a lot more common. So you’ll probably find yourself bumped around the pitch until you find the position that best fits your body shape and your skills (which are in my opinion far more important, good small guy will always have the measure of poor huge guy.)

Good to see more people getting into rugby, hugely underrated sport. Do you know what sort of level you’re playing at?[/quote]

Well, I’m probably not going to get into it until next spring; I’m focusing on my senior year of [high school] football. But, next year it will be a definite possibility.

CS

[quote]Oxen wrote:

'Nuff said.

Also the lack of padding, and particularly if you’re a forward the rate at which you take/give hits really adds up.

All you kids saying not to expect big hits, or that football have big hits are either clueless to rugby or probably just sucked at it (Eilson, oxen)

I played varsity football in HS, and play rugby in college. Yes you have to wrap and many use momentum for the tackle but it just doesnt compare like rugbystrong said with the padding you have in football.

There are huge hits in football but nothing compares to being high tackled by a 6’2 260lb flanker.

I played in high school and still do in smaller leagues when they want to win

For any of those interested, the Patriots drafted a really motivational rugger out of Ohio State named Nate Ebner.

And of course some rugby highlights:

I personally cannot wait to watch this guy play. Projected as a DB/Special Teams.

just sort out a bit of conditioning to make sure you can get around the park - especially if your in the forwards. Nothing worse than a lazy forward who cant hit any rucks clogging up the backline.

At your age/build they’ll probably start you as a replacement 6, and if you’ve got any gas, on the wing (where all the newbies start, well, that and lock, but your way to short for that).

Just see how your skills pan out, if their at a fairly high level try and push for a place in the backs, maybe inside centre as a crash ball type. If not the front row is where your destiny lies my friend, hooker possibly, as propping is pretty technically demanding

if you want to player/team watch - dont listen to the poster who mentioned italy and england as teams to watch, literally the worst descision ever. get a view of …

Hookers - Bismark du plessis (south africa), kevin mealamu (new zealand), william servat (france)

number 6 - dan lydiate (wales), jerome kaino (NZ), thierry dusatoir (france)

Watch the super 15 you can find streams every weekend,

btw Bismarck is a machine, no one dominates the contact area like he does

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

btw Bismarck is a machine, no one dominates the contact area like he does[/quote]

agreed… hes literally the most angry man on the planet!

Pek Cowan's huge hit on Joe Pietersen - YouTube!

One of my favourite videos - there’s no way I’d be getting back up after a couple of those hits.

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

btw Bismarck is a machine, no one dominates the contact area like he does[/quote]

Realistically, once you start understanding what’s going on, Aviva games will be more boring, but more representative of midwest rugby.

But once you have down what needs to happen, Super rugby matches will help you sort out how to generate offense/off-loads and quick ball play.

[quote]RugbyStrong wrote:
For any of those interested, the Patriots drafted a really motivational rugger out of Ohio State named Nate Ebner.

And of course some rugby highlights:

I personally cannot wait to watch this guy play. Projected as a DB/Special Teams. [/quote]

Why did he not play for USA 7s?! Or did he? I can see why he got drafted; absolute specimen!

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
I played in high school and still do in smaller leagues when they want to win[/quote]

Why would they ever want to not win?