Any Rugby Players?

I’ve finally gotten on board with a rugby team in my area. Are they an other rugby players on here? I don’t really know much about rugby, just enough to follow a game on tv if I ever wanted to. What can I expect? Also, I’m 5’7 and 190 lbs. Is there a position that I will most likely be put in?

CS

If your conditioning is up to par, try flanker or 8 man. Either way, rugby is pretty damn fun. Don’t go in expecting the big hits from football, cause you don’t really see a lot of that.

There was a thread about the Rugby world cup a few months ago, if you check there are some good posters in there.

But not GavinHenson…he was a real knob-gobbling fool.

Hell Yes!

Expect a shit load of running. It wasn’t until my second season I was actually able to consistantly complete all the conditioning at each practice, and I had just come from high school football.

You could play flank or 8 if you’ve got the speed. Also try out hooker. But honestly in rugby, you will probably play about half the positions out there at one point or another. I play 2nd row but have played everything from prop to wing in a pintch.

good man,always good to hear about people taking up the game especially in the states…from your stats you sound like frontrow material unless you’ve got some wheels then somewhere in the backs maybe scrumhalf…the best advice i can give you is focus on tackling technique and get it down…its very different if you’re coming from a football background has you have to get your timing right and your head in the right place while wrapping your arms as you’re not allowed just smash into someone…best of luck mate and let us know how you get on…

Rugby = greatest non-stick sport on earth.
(Lacrosse = greatest stick sport on earth)

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]
aaahhh crap, not this shit again.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

Had so much respect.
(Then lost it.)

lacrosse is so gay…

anyways 5’7 is a little short for flanker… If your team is decent they will probably steer you away from there. Hows your speed? Outside center isnt bad for a 190lber, maybe even inside center which is a more fullback position. Our inside center is 215 so not too far off. Most successful flankers are 6’+ your getting the most tackles but a lot of your hits are agains the pack members which a 190lber wont do as well as say a 230 usually. Like others said, the conditioning is a real smack to the face for most people. The only ones I see that were pretty much ready from the beggining were wrestlers. Especially since a lot of rugby tackles mimic double leg/high crotch/ single leg take downs.

Welcome to the sport and enjoy

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

Box Lacrosse is a very good game, but I would argue that the best “stick sport” on Earth is whatever John Rambo was doing at the start of Rambo 3.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up at Loose head prop or hooker at some stage. There’s a front row on ym team with almost exactly your stats and he regularly makes shit of guys twice his size at scrum time. However if they decide early you’re a forward they’ll start you off in the back row(not likely 8 for a beginner though) and then bring you into the front row after while.

If they decide you’re a back, expect a start on the lonely dullness of the wing(just IMO) until they find a spot you’ll be best suited for. If you find a knack for it you could even end up at scrum half. Not many people have the mentality to be a centre though. Too much traffic on offence and defence for many to handle.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it!

I play semi professionally at the moment and hope to turn fully pro in the next 18 months.Welcome aboard first off,always delighted to see people picking up the game in the States.I’ve always maintained that if rugby was really pushed in America you would have one of the best teams in the world without a doubt,given the huge number of athletically gifted people over there.

You could really play anywhere man.All depends what kind of feet and hands you have.If you’re very quick and can kick,you could end up playing in the centre or on the wing or full back.If you’re not the most skillful you could play in the front row,you’ll definitely have the mass for it.

Only thing to do is to see how you go!

Just started playing flanker again, fucking loving it. I’d say if you want to go flanker, your conditioning is your number one priority. Though weight is important, unless you are thinking of playing seriously, it is not the most important thing

EDIT: Just seen your avi, you’re 16? Damn.

Okay, so to address the barrage of questions and statements:

No, I’m 17.
My best 40 is a 4.95. Not sure how that translates to rugby from football.
My hands aren’t the best. I like to hit people.
My conditioning sucks (prepare for flames).
I’m currently training with Ed Coan, so I’m not sure how to manage both at the same time.
The coach of the team that I’m considering playing for is an assistant coach at Notre Dame and played for team USA for six years, so he’s legit.

I broke my leg back in October and fucked up my ankle pretty good, so running hasn’t been the most efficient activity as of late, but I’m starting to get back into it.

Any ideas on how to get my conditioning up to par?

CS

just run man. I flank and love it, we always start out practice with a easy paced 1-1.5 mile jog. Honestly you need to be conditioned but a lot of people new to rugby dont realize the breaks you have sometimes. There can be blocks were the backs dont see the ball for a while and its all just scrums in the pack. like wise once it gets out to the backs the pack doesnt have much to do since in rugby you cannot block as is allowed in football.

id say work on sprints a lot and explosion. Being conditioned to last a rugby match doesnt mean you need to be able to run a marathon. A lot of people I know just work runs aroudn the field= sprint the length and jog the width

GL

work on your recovery mate so shuttle runs and interval training…you can ramp them up as you feel yourself getting fitter…as a previous poster said you dont need to be able to run a marathon so theres not much point doing endless laps…chuck in some prowler/sled work if you have access to them for some variety as conditioning work is fucking gay when you’re starting off

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Okay, so to address the barrage of questions and statements:

No, I’m 17.
My best 40 is a 4.95. Not sure how that translates to rugby from football.
My hands aren’t the best. I like to hit people.
My conditioning sucks (prepare for flames).
I’m currently training with Ed Coan, so I’m not sure how to manage both at the same time.
The coach of the team that I’m considering playing for is an assistant coach at Notre Dame and played for team USA for six years, so he’s legit.

I broke my leg back in October and fucked up my ankle pretty good, so running hasn’t been the most efficient activity as of late, but I’m starting to get back into it.

Any ideas on how to get my conditioning up to par?

CS[/quote]

With respect to conditioning, I’m sort in the same boat, started doing suicides(baseline>freethrow line>back to baseline>half court line>back to baseline>far free throw line>back to base line>far base line>back to base line), only to realize I was winded after 2. Felt pretty bad on myself about it.
Anyway getting back on track, I started doing half and 3/4 length runs, ie only to half court or the far free throw line (as noted above), just to ease myself back into things until my wind comes back.
Also, this probably wouldn’t hurt, but look up some football cone drills. As you get better, space them out further, or more cutting, whatever.
Anyway, hope you (or someone else) find this helpful in some way.

I con concur with the majority of the advice already posted. Rugby is a power sport and as such you need to train for it appropriately. Speed and acceleration are key in rugby and to paraphrase Jason Robinson (ex English fullback) ‘nothing beats pure pace’. However, there is more to fight than just pace. If your fast but not that fit at the moment push for a position in the backs. If fit but not that fast but got good conditioning try the forwards and if you have neither but have are exceptionally strong try your hand at front row.

For training purposes hit shuttle runs suicides, skipping (helps improve speed), interval training, tabata training etc
For weights don’t go mad in season you’ll need tons of recovery from the game itself. But focus on full body movements and work like crazy on your “core” (this will get s lot of training while doing your full body lifts).
To decide on which exercises to best choose pick up a copy of michael boye’s ‘functional training for sport’ it has some really great exercises and rational in the book towards his methods for training and how to focus your training for a specific sport and what kind of exercises are neccessary. Oh and of course peruse through this magnificent library of information on T-Nation. Most of it will be helpfully to your development.
Ps. Spend the time in your off season bullet proofing your body as nothing sucks more than injuries that leave you unable to play let alone gym!!
If you want any help, I’m glad to help, pm me.

If your hands arent great then the only option you have at your height and weight (at a decent level) would be openside flanker. Have no idea why people are saying 8, you need to be 6ft plus to play at that position.

If you like big hits, then flanker Is defo for you. You have to be super fit to play rugby in general, but flanker is one of the most physically demanding positions out there. Look up David pocock and richie mccaw, two of the best currently in that position.

[quote]Oxen wrote:
Don’t go in expecting the big hits from football, cause you don’t really see a lot of that.[/quote]

Have you ever seen a rugby match? Lol