Any Reason to Deadlift 1 Set of 5 Reps?

starting strength suggests this, and i guess it works
texas method also suggests this i believe, but now the weight is getting abnormally heavy. is there still a purpose to do it x5 since it is only once a week?
hopefully someone knows wtf im talking about.

Well since the overall volume of the rest of the program is so high, trying to do more than one set of 5 could kill your recovery very quickly.

Doing the one set should keep you in the deadlfit groove and not over-tax your recovery abilities.

Then back off if you need to a bit for a week if your breaking form. The goal is to increase the weight each week if you can.

If you want to try for different rep schemes, go ahead. But I find deadlifts that stay lower in reps are easier to control and you won’t get the fatigue as you would with 8 reps and higher.

I generally would do a variation with higher reps(8-10) since they are less demanding(romanian deadlift or stiff legged deadlift with a lighter weight than your deadlift) and help with the posterior chain development.

Hey kickureface, Rippetoe suggests only one workset of deadlifts at the end of the workout because of the weight that is usually involved.

With deadlifts, most people can use a lot of weight in their worksets, and after three worksets of squats and pressing, the body of a novice is usually too fatigued to crank out three worksets of deadlifts.

I don’t think you have to do them only once a week though. In one model of Starting Strength, Rippetoe suggests alternating the deadlift with the power clean.

So your workouts could like like this

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Dead 1x5

B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Powerclean 3x5 (some recommend 5x3)

Two weeks of training look like ABA BAB

The idea is to squat each workout, followed by a pressing exercise (bench or oh press), followed by a pulling exercise (deadlift, bb row, power clean, pull-up or chinup.)

Rippetoe does recommend that deadlifting and powercleaning should be your main pulling exercises.

I, however, don’t have access to a large gym that has bumperplates or a lifting platform. So, I substituted the power clean with the bb row.

If you are a rank novice, I think 1 workset of deads should be enough. Right now, its plenty for me.

holy crap i guess i was really unclear with what i was trying to say.
i meant 5 is too much now! hahahahaha :P. 3, 2, 1? what would be optimal training?

not for a noob

Why would 5 be too much?

[quote]kickureface wrote:
holy crap i guess i was really unclear with what i was trying to say.
i meant 5 is too much now! hahahahaha :P. 3, 2, 1? what would be optimal training?[/quote]

Can’t you just lower the weight?

I just listened to a fitcast with Eric Cressey, he said in his gym they aren’t allowed to pull more than sets of 4 lol.

But if you are starting out, I think more volume is better. the more advanced you get in lifting, the less volume you need.

Hanley am I right on this one?

I have about 2 years lifting exp, and im on a 5x5 @80% making steady gains 6 weeks I’ll have a 420 deadlift hopefully if I can keep up.

Hmmm I guess i am falling under the trap of deadlift-weight-happy. I’m not new, but I;m not exactly experienced either. Texas method right now.

In starting strength, I thought 1x5 was really almost nothing. Now I’m doing a little more than 2x bw, and it seems tough as hell now for x5.

to rephrase my original question, are there any distinct advantages to doing x5 on the deadlift vs x3 or less?

Because Rippetoe says to.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
I just listened to a fitcast with Eric Cressey, he said in his gym they aren’t allowed to pull more than sets of 4 lol.

But if you are starting out, I think more volume is better. the more advanced you get in lifting, the less volume you need.

I have about 2 years lifting exp, and im on a 5x5 @80% making steady gains 6 weeks I’ll have a 420 deadlift hopefully if I can keep up.[/quote]

I’m always believed in low rep deadlifts I usually do one warm up set of 8 with 75kg, the next two sets are 5 reps, then triples, then singles or doubles, I find it difficult to maintain strict form after 5 or so reps with a challenging weight. In most cases I think a moderate amount of reps per set would be best for newer lifters, perhaps something like 5-8 reps.

Volume is usually a powerlifters friend. However volume is not necessarly reached with high rep sets…in fact it rarely is, you’ll probably see most powerlifters doing 80%x3x6 sets rather then 80%x6x3 sets.

[quote]schultzie wrote:

I have about 2 years lifting exp, and im on a 5x5 @80% making steady gains 6 weeks I’ll have a 420 deadlift hopefully if I can keep up.[/quote]

Yes and no… less volume at higher intensities (90+%) perhaps. But if you’re working in lower percentages more volume’s probably good. It’s one of the big things in Sheiko too actually. Talmant posted the number of competition lifts that the different rated classes of sportsmen should use, beginners are around 50,000 I THINK, but MS/CMS lifters are at like 130,000 fundamental lifter per year.

[quote]
Volume is usually a powerlifters friend. However volume is not necessarly reached with high rep sets…in fact it rarely is, you’ll probably see most powerlifters doing 80%x3x6 sets rather then 80%x6x3 sets.[/quote]
For this you mean the opposite on the rep ranges, right? Most powerlifters would do 6 sets of 3… At least that is my impression.

[quote]DaveyD wrote:

Volume is usually a powerlifters friend. However volume is not necessarly reached with high rep sets…in fact it rarely is, you’ll probably see most powerlifters doing 80%x3x6 sets rather then 80%x6x3 sets.

For this you mean the opposite on the rep ranges, right? Most powerlifters would do 6 sets of 3… At least that is my impression.
[/quote]

Most of my experiance comes off East Bloc training systems, I have and will always continue to use the rep x sets scheme. Yes, I meant 3x6 sets not 6x3 sets.