Any Poker Players Here?

[quote]rock27 wrote:
IvanDmitritch wrote:

I just wanted to chime in on the issue of online games being rigged. I couldn’t agree with travacolypse more. Suckouts and magic river cards happen, and it sucks when you’re on the losing end, but it only seems to happen online more because of the number of hands/hour…

It’s just a numbers game…

Yes there is an awful amount of suckouts, and I get pissed off when this happens in live games and/or online. But, hey that’s poker. And that’s what I always put it down to.

Are you just saying it pisses you off when some retard kid goes in with the beer hand against your rockets and hits seven, seven, deuce on the flop, or are you also agreeing with the point that these sites may be rigged to make the most cash possible?
[/quote]

I just hear a lot of people point to the number of suck outs they’ve experienced in online play as proof that online games are rigged. My point is that it only seems that there are more suck outs online because you see so many more hands than in a live game. So, yeah, a guy going up against AA with 72 is going to lose the vast majority of the time, but if you are playing hundreds of hands an hour, you are going to see the “impossible” happen fairly frequently.

furthermore, online play tends to be much more aggressive than live games, so you get people calling and raising with a wide array of hands.

You just have to play the appropriate stakes for your bank role, get your money in when you have the odds on your side, and hope your hand holds up.

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:

I just hear a lot of people point to the number of suck outs they’ve experienced in online play as proof that online games are rigged.
My point is that it only seems that there are more suck outs online because you see so many more hands than in a live game.
[/quote]

Yes, I would def. agree with you here. Suck outs happen in both online and live play at roughly the same rate IMO, but it seems like more as you could be playing maybe 6 times the amount of hands in an hour in online as you would live.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I play online at FullTilt, just the $2 matrix SNGs, really. Not as often as I should (I’d like to get better), but hey, I can’t let it interfere with my sleep for the gym :slight_smile:

My friend plays professionally, and while I’ve never discussed with him the exact mechanism of his withdrawals, it’s his only source of income, so obviously he’s been able to make withdrawals. He plays on FTP and Stars, I believe.

Any sources taht you guys enjoy reading? I’ve read one of Hellmuth’s books, and am reading Negreneau’s now, hoping to get harrington on hold em for christmas this week. Any online sources? 2+2 and pocketfives seem to be the poker world’s equivalent of bb.com[/quote]

I haven’t played in a while, but I have played cash at both Full Tilt and Ultimate Bet. I got my withdrawals through ePassport, but last I checked, neither site uses that anymore. Money’s been tight lately so I haven’t played in a while. Like someone else said, you have to be emotionally detached from the cash to play well.

As far as sources, the 2+2 forums used to be pretty good. Even Full Tilt’s forum had some good discussions. I have Harrington on Hold 'Em I and II and they’re decent books. Anything by Slansky is worth reading, too.

Wish I could play more. Always used to play with my friends, but they won’t play me anymore. Maybe I should lose on purpose to get them interested again.

There’s free tournaments every night at pubs locally here and I go to them when I can. They are Texas Hold’em NL, which is the only type of poker I really know how to play.

I’ve only been playing about 2 months but I’ve made the final table quite a bit, but the best I’ve placed is 3rd which scored me a free meal at the pub (free steak baby!).

As for online poker, I find it fustrating sometimes as people make stupid plays because they just don’t care if they get out. I’m sure once you start playing with a little more at stake, there is less of that.

I prefer the tournament style of play myself, where you buy in rather then play with your cash.

For the people who make their living from poker…how long have you been playing and whats the best way to get good enough for it to supplement your income?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

As for online poker, I find it fustrating sometimes as people make stupid plays because they just don’t care if they get out. I’m sure once you start playing with a little more at stake, there is less of that.
[/quote]

Yes, I’m assuming you’re playing the freerolls so far? There is an awful amount of retards who go all in straight away with whatever 2 cards they’re dealt.

I’d actually recommend playing in smaller SNGs in order to improve at poker. That way you can start learning how to read a player and determining how you should adjust your game depending on who you are playing against, i.e. whether they are aggressive or not and their range for calling raising, etc.

And also I find SNGs much easier to make money off. With tourneys you’ve got to learn to be very patient, and have a good grasp of winning hands, position, betting patterns and whatnot.
So imo, start off with play money SNGs, and progress from there.

I play on pokerstars. usually the 5 card draw cash games. i play most of the other games too but thats my best game. pretty easy to make some money

It sounds like some of you are already familiar with rakeback.

Aside from my FT job and training, I’m operate an affiliate site that offers rakeback poker at several different sites.

PM if you’re interested.

Against my better judgment I deposited $200 into Full Tilt Poker so I have something to do (besides eat and lift of course) during the Christmas break. So far I was out of the money in 1 tournament and won a single table sit and go. My prediction is that I will do good for a while and them my “luck” will suddenly change. I hope I am wrong.

Here is a little more info from my FAQ.

PM me for more info.

What is rake?

Rake is a commission fee taken by the poker room for operating a poker game. Generally the rake is between 5% of the pot, taken after each poker hand. Generally the maximum rake per hand is $3 for medium to high stake poker hands.

What is rakeback?

Rakeback is the refund of a % of rake given back to the player. Rakeback offers are normally between 25 and 50%. If you receive 40% rakeback, and you have contributed in $1000 rake in a month, you will receive 40% of your rake back to you, in this case $400. So the more hands you play, or the more you rake, the more rake back you will get back.

What is a Rakeback Provider?

A rakeback provider is a company which promotes poker rooms which allow you to get rakeback.

Played a couple of more sit’n goes today. Was out of the money on the first but made 3rd at the final table on the 2nd. Actually had the chip lead for a while but lost an all in to a larger pair. Full Tilt Poker programmers, I mean gods, are on my side for now.

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
Against my better judgment I deposited $200 into Full Tilt Poker so I have something to do (besides eat and lift of course) during the Christmas break. So far I was out of the money in 1 tournament and won a single table sit and go. My prediction is that I will do good for a while and them my “luck” will suddenly change. I hope I am wrong.[/quote]

How did you deposit?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:
Against my better judgment I deposited $200 into Full Tilt Poker so I have something to do (besides eat and lift of course) during the Christmas break. So far I was out of the money in 1 tournament and won a single table sit and go. My prediction is that I will do good for a while and them my “luck” will suddenly change. I hope I am wrong.

How did you deposit?[/quote]

I used instant echecks

It takes money directly from a checking account. I do not think there is a way to use a credit card from the US. If I remember it may take a few days to activate and the initial deposit amount cannot exceed $100

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:

How did you deposit?

I used instant echecks

It takes money directly from a checking account. I do not think there is a way to use a credit card from the US. If I remember it may take a few days to activate and the initial deposit amount cannot exceed $100[/quote]

Can you withdraw the same way? Or do you have another plan for withdrawal?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:

How did you deposit?

I used instant echecks

It takes money directly from a checking account. I do not think there is a way to use a credit card from the US. If I remember it may take a few days to activate and the initial deposit amount cannot exceed $100

Can you withdraw the same way? Or do you have another plan for withdrawal?[/quote]

They will send you a check if you request a withdrawal. It’s real easy (sarcasm intended). Check out

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/withdrawal

for full details

Supposedly the All Access Pre-Paid Visa cards work to deposit money.

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:

How did you deposit?

I used instant echecks

It takes money directly from a checking account. I do not think there is a way to use a credit card from the US. If I remember it may take a few days to activate and the initial deposit amount cannot exceed $100[/quote]

Not to start a fight, but this information is not correct. FTP does take US credit cards - I funded my account with my visa. There’s no delay in activating, I funded the account and was playing minutes later. My initial deposit was over $100, so that’s incorrect too.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Razorslim wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Razorslim wrote:

How did you deposit?

I used instant echecks

Not to start a fight, but this information is not correct. FTP does take US credit cards - I funded my account with my visa. There’s no delay in activating, I funded the account and was playing minutes later. My initial deposit was over $100, so that’s incorrect too.[/quote]

I’m sure you’re right. I opened up my account a year ago so things may have loosened up since then. It’s worth a try. Maybe some credit cards work and some don’t. Bottom line is us US online poker players got screwed and I hope things change back to the way they were.

I use PokerStars and loaded $50 with my mastercard. I find it unusual they wouldn’t accept a credit card from a country of what would probably be the majority of the players.