T Nation

any other t-vegans?

i know t-mag can come down hard on vegans, but we exist and train, and kick ass in our own slightly skinny ways. i was just wondering what specific foods other vegos out there consume.
i’ve been living off tvp, oatmeal, peanut butter and veg for a while now and wouldn’t mind experimenting with some new non-animal nutrient sources. thanks.
go ahead and set the vegans aflame…

Mike Mahler is a vegan, if I remember correctly… He should be able to help you, you poor poor soul :0)

You poor, poor lost soul. Nothing in the world like sinking your teeth into some tasty animal flesh.

I flame thee Kurt.

Although being a vegetarian [sorry, I dont know all the specific titles describing to which extreme you avoid animal products] is looked down upon in many muscle forums; I definitely think that it is possible to make equal muscle gains. Mike Mahler and if I’m not mistaken Ving Rhames are also vegetarians. Just be certain to vary your protein sources and still hit at least .8 grams/lb BW. And although I dont know of any titles offhand, you should invest in a book describing how to ‘complete’ non-animal proteins.

Being a vegetarian and staying healthy is a bit more complicated then just avoiding meat.

Wish you all the best and good luck.

I’ve mistaken Ving Rhames for Michael Duncan Clarke! ~Sewerhooker

Bill Pearl is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian. His books are full of info on how he does it.

Bill Pearl pretty much admitted to having to turn to steroids in his later years of competing in or to stay competitive. I don’t think any steroid user can make an arguement for a veg diet. Not exactly “fair”. It’s also a testament to his great genetics, and if I’m not mistaken, he got huge first, then later in life became a veg.

Nuts and nut butters of all sorts, beans of all sorts, peas and sprouted grain bread are some examples that have a decent amount of protein and are a good source of fiber and low GI carbs.

I do agree though that you would be very well served by looking up the proper food combinations to make whole proteins. As someone who eats meat and dairy, the extra protein I get from my carb and fat sources is just gravy on the top.

I follow a vegan diet and eat a lot of tofu, beans, almonds, nuts, pistachios etc. For more info on me, go to mikemahler.com and check out my articles.

thanks guys. mike, your site is nice and your articles are very informative. it always ups my motivation to see good veg info. it keeps me liberated and my stomach clean.
i’m also glad to know the carnivores on the forum can coexist with the vegans, even offering us advice more than to give it up. i appreciate all for reading and responding and respecting. i guess that’s what this forum and this life are all about.
xoxo.

I find honey to be a nice, clean energy food. It tastes good too. Yeah, oatmeal is my starch of choice too. I’m not vegan because I will have milk(hate soy) but I like to stick to just plants a lot too. I became vegetarian, then changed my mind, felt terrible because you get spoiled by how good your body feels when you’re goin’ veg. So of course thats what I do.

Here’s a link that might help you out.

www.2-fit.com/miscellaneous/proteindif.html

To be quite honest I’m interested in trying such a diet myself. [Eating meat 6 times a day will do that to a guy]

I’ll give a geniune effort in the New Year to adapt such a lifestyle for a 12 week period. And if after said period of time I manage to keep my LMB steady [or preferably increased :wink: ] I will switch for good.

Anyways, best of luck :wink:

Go away italics!

When I first read the subject title I thought you were asking how many people were from Las Vegas ie a Vegan. I’m one of those types of vegans, though I do eat animals.

ha, from vegas. i love it… sort of like when i hear some meal is vegan, i ask, “oh are there real, live, vegans in it?”
but, really, sewerhooker, i’ve had good results with making sure to combine my proteins, and also with reasonable amounts of soy. being vegan feels great. real clean. i’m full of energy and love that my diet is peaceful, and i don’t need to sacrifice my health. i don’t believe animals are commodities and my tastebuds can handle the plants so that’s what i dig on, you know. keep going toward your ultimate dietary goal by taking small steps. if you try to go completely vegan all at once you may find it hard and discouraging and quit. just keep your head up and out of your ass and make sure you eat enough. cool. thanks for the feedback and link.
oh, and any funny vegan jokes would be appreciated. my favorite:
“if you were trapped in a house made of meat would you eat your way our?”
hmmm…

Just a matter of semantics really, but Humans are Omnivores. Just because we choose to include meat in our diets doesn’t make us carnivores. You are an omnivore becuse of the fact that you can choose not to eat meat. True carnivores and vegitarians don’t have a choice. So join the rest of the omnivores out there by not seperating yourself from us. We all have similar goals and can help each other regardless of the meal choices we make. :slight_smile:

Obviously tofu is a good source of protien, but it also has a good amount of carbs in it. As for “new” nutrient sources, I did fat fast last year, and ate a lot of seitan. (I’m not vegitarian at all, but I worked in a health food store) Not only is it really good, there are NO carbs whatsoever. It was great, the texture reminded me of sausage (don’t know when you became vegan, but if you want a reference point…) Hope this helps.

We are omnivores because our natural diet consists of foods both from the animal and vegetable kingdom, not because we have a choice.

To others: I really see no point in going into the vegetarian versus met eater debate, but I can tell you that my health improved a lot since I introduced meat in my diet again.

If you’re vegetarian for moral reasons then that’s fine with me, but remember, like coach Davies once said, millions of animals get slaughtered by machines used in the harvests every year so your can eat your grains, so your diet might not be as clean as you might think. Even then, it’s your choice and it’s fine by me.

If you’re doing it for health reasons though, then know that you’re following an unnatural diet that goes again a couple of million years of evolution and this, as far as I’m concerned, can’t be a healthy thing.

There is a cool article in a bobybuilding mag you might have heard of, it’s Scientific American. Anyway it’s in the Dec. 2002 copy toward the back. It’s the only diet related article in there. It had some interesting points.

One was that humans are very adaptable and that adapting to be able to access and make use of a richer food source had a lot to do with our evolutionary history.The comparisons they made with other societies and their diets to ours were pretty amazing. They looked at people that got anywhere from 96% of their calories from animal sources to those that got 95% from plants and across the board they were all healthier than we are. The highest average cholesterol level of any of them was 186 with the majority being much lower, the Inuit averaged 141 even though they eat mostly just fat and meat.Our average was 204 with our average percentage of animal foods at 23. The difference wasn’t how much meat we eat but what kind, and how much fat is in the rest of the 77% of our calories.Free ranging animals have a lower percentage of fat than feedlot animals. The composition of the fat in free ranging animals is also a factor. Free ranging animals have a lower percentage of their fat that is saturated and a higher percentage that is polyunsaturated.I honestly don’t care what other people eat. My sister is a vegan and gets along fine. She’s healthy and has the lowest cholesterol level in the family. It’s not something I would choose but I like meat, I enjoy hunting for my food, and I feel most at peace when I’m in the woods stalking part of my yearly diet.