Any Of You Like Japanese Animation?

Does anyone watch any japanese animation? Any stuff that you really like?

Trigun,Berserk,Spriggan,guyver,devil man,bio hunter,Vampire hunter D,Samurai champloo,and twilight of the dark master are a few I think people would like. But berserk has to be my favorite.

Not a huge fan, but I tend to just catch the adult swim offerings, so I’m a fan of Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, and Inuyasha.

DBZ isn’t a bad series as a whole, but it is a grab bag depending on the episode that’s on. You can be wasting 30 minutes watching two guys grunt laying in the ground every 5 minutes while watching Gohan rave to get somewhere first in between. It really feels like nothing happened at the end of the episode. Of course if you had the series on DVD, that wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

I dunno. I got attached to the episode long power-ups (with a petrified or smug villain waiting patiently before interrupting). also you can go several eps without missing a beat (and a couple of kamehamehas)and inuyasha is the chick flick of anime. each 30 minutes has that bitch screaming the lead character’s name 95-100 times for no reason. I prefer Urotsukidoji myself…

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Not a huge fan, but I tend to just catch the adult swim offerings, so I’m a fan of Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, and Inuyasha.

DBZ isn’t a bad series as a whole, but it is a grab bag depending on the episode that’s on. You can be wasting 30 minutes watching two guys grunt laying in the ground every 5 minutes while watching Gohan rave to get somewhere first in between. It really feels like nothing happened at the end of the episode. Of course if you had the series on DVD, that wouldn’t be so much of an issue.[/quote]

Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Kenshin were a few of my favorites back in the day. I still get my weekly fix of Naruto and Bleach, but that’s about it, with the exception of the occasional Samurai Champloo on Adult Swim.

Guts is the man.

Berserk has got to be one of the most badass life-altering things I have ever seen. And the manga continues to carry on the tradition. Which reminds me I haven’t read the newest scanlations…

But yeah, Berserk. Check it out. Go buy the “Box of War” at your local DVD place and…yeah just do it.

I used to have around 900 VHS tapes of nothing but anime.

But I sold it all, and now find myself hopelessly lost amidst all the new series. Though most of the favorites are the same they were five and ten years ago.

I just finished a series called Ergo Proxy. It was pretty damn good.

You can find it on stage6.divx.com if you search for the title.

It’s like combining Blade Runner, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Serial Experiments: Lain – the last two being other anime series. Random words to describe it: dark, heady, psychological, identity-concerning, gnostic, cyberpunk, dystopian.

Some of my favourites: Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy, GANTZ, Gunslinger Girl, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noir, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Serial Experiments: Lain.

I need to watch Berserk.

Berserk was the shiznit. Anything else I can take it or leave it.

Former addict / fanatic… I own over 100 complete series… watched about 80 of them in their entirety. Like all things in life, there’s a handfull of good ones, and a whole mess of bad ones.

Berserk was mentioned… that’s a great series, but stops short, so continue with the manga if you want more.

Check out the new Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, they’re just sick (you can find torrents at mininova). Don’t bother with the original series, but this and Berserk should appeal to most of the crowd here.

If you’re willing to go off the beaten path a bit (well, from the general public at least), check out Bleach (available at yhbt.mine.nu).

Some old classics you can also consider are:
Rurouni Kenshin
Samuari Champloo
Cowboy Bebop

And for anything else, check out animenfo.com and read up on any and all series in any genre of your fancy. Check out their top 100 list, and search for a site called BoxTorrents if you’re interested in getting ahold of any.

Hope this is useful to some :slight_smile:
Ritchey

[quote]rbpowerhouse wrote:
I dunno. I got attached to the episode long power-ups (with a petrified or smug villain waiting patiently before interrupting). also you can go several eps without missing a beat (and a couple of kamehamehas)and inuyasha is the chick flick of anime. each 30 minutes has that bitch screaming the lead character’s name 95-100 times for no reason. I prefer Urotsukidoji myself…

Urotsukidoji!!!

You dirty nasty freak.

Anyway, Berserk is like the “300” in the today’s era of pussified anime. I’m talking to you Inyuasha.

Great ones: Mobile Suit Gundam( and other Gundam shows in the Universal Century), DBZ, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the Northstar, Ninja Scroll(best anime movie ever), Guyver (late 80’s early 90’s), Berserk, Grappler Baki, Yu Yu Hakusho (specifically the second movie), and last but not leat. My personal fav:

MD Geist: Most Dangerous Soldier

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Guts is the man.

Berserk has got to be one of the most badass life-altering things I have ever seen. And the manga continues to carry on the tradition. Which reminds me I haven’t read the newest scanlations…

But yeah, Berserk. Check it out. Go buy the “Box of War” at your local DVD place and…yeah just do it.[/quote]

Berserk is the best thing in the world.

Manga is 10 times more awesome than the anime, should you have not yet read it.

( Here in Italy during the 80s and 90s almost all TV channels aired many different anime series.
I remember when I was kid there were like many different series on each channel,it was crazy!
So almost everyone here is somehow expert on animes due to this 20 years long exposure )

My favourite director is Miyazaki.

Rurouni Kenshin , Dragonball Z and Naruto are my favorites at the moment.

Not the modern stuff, I liked the 70’s.

[quote]chicanerous wrote:
I just finished a series called Ergo Proxy. It was pretty damn good.

You can find it on stage6.divx.com if you search for the title.

It’s like combining Blade Runner, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Serial Experiments: Lain – the last two being other anime series. Random words to describe it: dark, heady, psychological, identity-concerning, gnostic, cyberpunk, dystopian.

Some of my favourites: Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy, GANTZ, Gunslinger Girl, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noir, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Serial Experiments: Lain.

I need to watch Berserk.[/quote]

I didn’t know they were animating Claymore yet!&^%!(&^%!

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1454457

That thread has a crapload of anime recommendations.

Read the mangas though… Manga is to Anime as Books are to Movies, except the time it takes to read/watch them is much closer.

Anyone else remember HomeStarr Runner?

Seriously though, my little brother loves anime and manga he must have spent 1000’s by now. I used to be a lot more into it but when I do see him I’ll borrow some stuff.

Old faves of mine:
-Fist of the Northstar: My first anime
-Guyver
-Beserk
-Ninja Scroll the movie
-Ghost in the Shell 1
-Vampire Hunter D: Both movies are fucking great

Newer ones that I’ve seen recently:
-Samurai 7 was a good series
-Naruto the 1st series
-Naruto: Shippūden is pretty cool, though I only saw the first 3.

Man listing this stuff really makes me want to watch Fist of the Northstar again.

No. Anyone who watches cartoons past elementary school should grow up.

But on the off chance that you need to know more, one of my favorite sites for anime info is Anime News Network (just Google it). It’s like the T-Nation of anime sites.

I like Dragonball Z and Cowboy Bebop. Other than those two, I haven’t found anything that I really like.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
( Here in Italy during the 80s and 90s almost all TV channels aired many different anime series.
I remember when I was kid there were like many different series on each channel,it was crazy!
So almost everyone here is somehow expert on animes due to this 20 years long exposure )

My favourite director is Miyazaki.

[/quote]

Same goes for France and Quebec. I have fond memories of Goldorak (Goldrake in Italy I believe).

Hellsing is one of my best. Close second is Berserk, although they didn’t release the much awaited 7th DVD. No matte, the manga’s better anyway.

Samurai 7, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll are all excellent.

Was disappointed to no end by the anime version of Samurai Deeper Kyo. Where the f%&k did these monsters came from???

ONE PIECE is freaking awesome and probably my favorite series currently running.

Its about Pirates.