Any of You Guys Juice? (Fruits/Veggies)

As I’ve been reading more from Dr. Jonny Bowden’s site, one of his big tips to help get in large servings of fruits/veggies is to juice, for obvious reasons.

Do any of you guys juice? If so, what types of combinations have you found to be better tasting?

I feel like it would be a damned good way to get in a ton of nutrients, enzymes, phytochemicals, and antioxidants without having to spend a ton on other supplements.

Thanks

A tip: Do not put a banana into the juicer like my brother did. It doesn’t juice…at all.

But yes my parents bought a juices and I believe it came with a juicing book. I persoanlly do not juice due to food allergies to nearly every veggie and fruit, no joke. So I use Biotest: Superfood.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
A tip: Do not put a banana into the juicer like my brother did. It doesn’t juice…at all.

But yes my parents bought a juices and I believe it came with a juicing book. I persoanlly do not juice due to food allergies to nearly every veggie and fruit, no joke. So I use Biotest: Superfood.[/quote]

How long have you had the food allergies?

I blend spinach twice per day and mix it with my protein supplement. It doesn’t taste amazing, but when I am pounding a shake at the end of a workout I don’t think it really matters, and it’s a great way to get a quick serving of goodness.

I bought a Breville Juicer, which normally retails for $360, un-used for $160 from some guy who got it as a gift. Before that I had a crappy $30 juicer. If you are going to juice there is a HUGE difference in a cheap juicer and a more exspensive one. I use my juicer every single day, two times a day. Once in the morning right out of bed and once at night.

I normally don’t follow any recipes and just find veggies that I have in the fridge and throw some in. I always have a ton of veggies around and I don’t care what the juice tastes like, I just pound it back. I do make sure that not all of of my veggie intake is coming from the juice since the fiber is no longer in it. I still eat whole veggies also throughout the day.

I almost never juice fruits as I prefer to stick to veggies, but when I do add an apple or a pear or peach, the taste is much improved. If someone found the taste of veggies alone to be hard to handle this would be a good way to overcome that.

“do make sure that not all of of my veggie intake is coming from the juice since the fiber is no longer in it.”

Hmm is this true? Would this be the case for blending up oatmeal as well?

plz excuse my ignorance…

thx

[quote]BMellow wrote:
“do make sure that not all of of my veggie intake is coming from the juice since the fiber is no longer in it.”

Hmm is this true? Would this be the case for blending up oatmeal as well?

plz excuse my ignorance…

thx[/quote]

This woudln’t be the case when blending anything in a blender, but if you use an actualy juicer, the machine seperates the juice from the pulp and you lose out on the fibre. Thats the only down-side to juicing.

Juicing is probably the greatest thing no one is doing. I sure as hell don’t eat veggies at every meal so I juice once a day, twice on weekends since I have more time in the morning, and throw a shit-ton of fruits and veggies in there and I’m set for the day.

Basically pick and create from: Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Various peppers, Apples, Pears, Pomegranates, Berries. And always throw in a chunk of ginger at the end. Try to cover up the veggies taste with the sweetness of the fruits. It should actually taste pretty good at the end.

Drink it as soon as you make it, and add in some fish oil to make the vitamins more bio-available (A,D,E,K are fat-soluble).

My personal favorite: 1 big handful of spinach, 1 cup of broccoli heads, 2 stalks of carrots, 2 pears, 1 chunk of ginger, 1 tbsp of liquid fish oil.

Spinach, broccoli, carrots, pears, ginger and fish oil? How does that taste then juiced as it doesn’t really sound appealing? I would much rather spread me veggies and fruit throughout the day.

Juicing is okay, but I think some of you guys are hyping it up a bit. There are some down sides like to much sugar. Mostly fructose, & it’s easy to down a few cups… You’re not really getting all the nutrients from the vegetable in it’s juice. It’s expensive to buy veggies & throw half of it out unless you reuse the pulp.

I used to be all about juicing, but now I rather just eat the whole thing. I hardly ever juice & when I do it’s normally the stalks of kale or parts of vegetables that I normally wouldn’t eat.

[quote]Lackzoom wrote:
I bought a Breville Juicer, which normally retails for $360, un-used for $160 from some guy who got it as a gift. Before that I had a crappy $30 juicer. If you are going to juice there is a HUGE difference in a cheap juicer and a more exspensive one. I use my juicer every single day, two times a day. Once in the morning right out of bed and once at night.

I normally don’t follow any recipes and just find veggies that I have in the fridge and throw some in. I always have a ton of veggies around and I don’t care what the juice tastes like, I just pound it back. I do make sure that not all of of my veggie intake is coming from the juice since the fiber is no longer in it. I still eat whole veggies also throughout the day.

I almost never juice fruits as I prefer to stick to veggies, but when I do add an apple or a pear or peach, the taste is much improved. If someone found the taste of veggies alone to be hard to handle this would be a good way to overcome that. [/quote]

Is that you in your avatar? You look like Saku Koivu

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Lackzoom wrote:

I almost never juice fruits as I prefer to stick to veggies, but when I do add an apple or a pear or peach, the taste is much improved. If someone found the taste of veggies alone to be hard to handle this would be a good way to overcome that.

Is that you in your avatar? You look like Saku Koivu
[/quote]

Yes indeed, that would be me!

Blender > Juicer