Any MBAs on T-Nation?

I’ve decided to leave teaching and am strongly considering getting an MBA.
What I’d like to know is what was your specialty, and what was your work like: duties, hours, workplace, etc.

I don’t have specific questions yet, I just need some general info.
Also, any books/site recommendations are appreciated

Thanks

“What was your work like”? You mean work for B-School?

Operations, and two years of a lot of studying and team meetings while still holding down a job and family.

Go buy and read this:

If you’re still interested in the topics/content, you’ll have an idea of what area of specialization might maintain your interest.

Honestly, an MBA doesn’t automatically translate to the big-money job it used to, but there are things you will learn that you won’t have opportunity to in the school of hard knocks. Even today, it opens doors you wouldn’t otherwise have access to. I still encourage interested people to go for it.

Let me know what you need.

All the good MBA jobs go to people who are willing to work 60+ hours.

My mother has an MBA. She is now a professor at both a state and online university. also, the state university is paying for her doctoral classes.

so… i would definitely recommend it.

What I’d like is an idea of what a workday, workweek and workyear is like for an MBA.
I realize this varies based on specialization and type/size of company.
For example “I work from 7am to however late it takes, I write 40 emails a day most of them from my crackberry, I make 3 daily stops at Starbucks, I’m flying out tomorrow at 5 am to be in Cleveland by 11:30, taking a red-eye back tomorrow evening, then in 2 days I go to Shanghai to meet with…”

I’m kidding of course, but I am ignorant of what it actually means to work in the business world with an MBA.

That’s what I’m trying to find out.

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
“What was your work like”? You mean work for B-School?

Operations, and two years of a lot of studying and team meetings while still holding down a job and family.

Go buy and read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Day-MBA-3rd-Step-Step/dp/0060799072/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210879804&sr=1-1

If you’re still interested in the topics/content, you’ll have an idea of what area of specialization might maintain your interest.

Honestly, an MBA doesn’t automatically translate to the big-money job it used to, but there are things you will learn that you won’t have opportunity to in the school of hard knocks. Even today, it opens doors you wouldn’t otherwise have access to. I still encourage interested people to go for it.

Let me know what you need.[/quote]

I once considered pursuing an MBA. Then one day a newly minted MBA from a top 20 program strolled into my office and informed me that, “The company just doesn’t have the capital budget to provide the entire $1M you requested for the new mainframe. I see that the requisition is broken into three parts each of which costs roughly the same so you’ll have to choose two of the three then maybe next year we can purchase the final third. So do you want the processors, the memory, or the hard drives? Remember we can afford two.”

True story and pretty much verbatim, I kid you not. She was like 35 and had a PhD in chemistry so it’s not like she was slow or anything. Honestly I don’t know what they do to fine intelligent people in MBA programs that turns them into drooling morons but …

[quote]belligerent wrote:
All the good MBA jobs go to people who are willing to work 60+ hours.[/quote]

Doesn’t everybody work 60 hrs a week now?