Any Insight on This Problem?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The USA is evolving from an industrial country into an information-based post-industrial country. Those who prepare will prosper.[/quote]

Actually the USA is evolving from an information-based post-industrial economy to a smothering paternalistic nanny state. Those who suck up and kiss the right asses will prosper, preparation and hard work are now only of secondary importance.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
It just disapoints me to see that if school isn’t for someone chances are they will be working a shitty job for the rest of their life. In my town we have a shitload of manufacturing jobs and I realise how lucky we are. This town is a gem, and I find it sad how if just kohler shut down the factory here we’d be a ghost town in a matter of a few years. And yet, very few people realise it.[/quote]

This is a great point that I think virtually no one is seriously addressing, besides the answers you see here, vacuous calls for “more education.” What about people who simply want a blue collar, middle-class job at 18? That doesn’t make them lazy, go tell steelworkers or miners or farmers they’re lazy, they work a lot harder than most of us with more education. It’s just that some, probably many, people aren’t inclined toward white collar jobs. And those blue collar, predominantly male jobs that involve building or making things are disappearing. I wouldn’t call myself a protectionist, but I don’t buy into the free trade consensus either.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
It just disapoints me to see that if school isn’t for someone chances are they will be working a shitty job for the rest of their life. In my town we have a shitload of manufacturing jobs and I realise how lucky we are. This town is a gem, and I find it sad how if just kohler shut down the factory here we’d be a ghost town in a matter of a few years. And yet, very few people realise it.

This is a great point that I think virtually no one is seriously addressing, besides the answers you see here, vacuous calls for “more education.” What about people who simply want a blue collar, middle-class job at 18? That doesn’t make them lazy, go tell steelworkers or miners or farmers they’re lazy, they work a lot harder than most of us with more education. It’s just that some, probably many, people aren’t inclined toward white collar jobs. And those blue collar, predominantly male jobs that involve building or making things are disappearing. I wouldn’t call myself a protectionist, but I don’t buy into the free trade consensus either. [/quote]

I like free trade, I just think American citizens should buy american whenever possible. it costs more, but you can’t bitch if your part of the problem.

People with low paying big coorperation jobs (mcdonalds, ec) can’t often afford to buy from non walmart esque companies. So it just keeps going around and around. It’s a vicious cycle.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
The USA is evolving from an industrial country into an information-based post-industrial country. Those who prepare will prosper.

Actually the USA is evolving from an information-based post-industrial economy to a smothering paternalistic nanny state. Those who suck up and kiss the right asses will prosper, preparation and hard work are now only of secondary importance.[/quote]

“When you see that rewards go to those with ‘pull’ and that your laws are designed not to protect you from them but to protect them from you, you may know that your society is doomed.”
— Ayn Rand (a paraphrase, though close)

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
The USA is evolving from an industrial country into an information-based post-industrial country. Those who prepare will prosper.

Actually the USA is evolving from an information-based post-industrial economy to a smothering paternalistic nanny state. Those who suck up and kiss the right asses will prosper, preparation and hard work are now only of secondary importance.

“When you see that rewards go to those with ‘pull’ and that your laws are designed not to protect you from them but to protect them from you, you may know that your society is doomed.”

[/quote]

This isn’t exactly news but props for finding an excuse to quote Rand anyway.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

[/quote]

I will always happily quote Ms. Rand — she is the first post-altruism philosopher, the founder of whatever rebirth humanity is to have, after vomiting up the poison of unselfishness.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
BackForMore wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

I will always happily quote Ms. Rand — she is the first post-altruism philosopher, the founder of whatever rebirth humanity is to have, after vomiting up the poison of unselfishness.

[/quote]

She is dead wrong though when it comes to voluntary altruism which is obviously the only “real” altruism because altruism at gunpoint is armed robbery.

If I am altruistic because it pleases me more than any other alternative I am maximizing personal utility, i.e. I am better off as is the one receiving.

If I were not altruistic, I would actually deny myself happiness otherwise gained.

So, Ayn Rand was never against altruism, but against forced redistribution, which means she found poor words for her conviction or she would rather not be happier than she could be to spite other people she might have helped which would be stupid and immature.

“Five thousand people showed up for work one day and were turned away,” said Phil Kidd, Downtown Director of Events and Special Projects for the city.

“The city lost its heart and soul,” said Mayor Williams.

Within years, all the mills vanished. Noga recalls seeing idled workers watching as one of the oldest blast furnaces in the valley was dynamited. “I saw these hard men, shot-and-a-beer guys, standing there crying,” he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/08/real_estate/radical_city_plan/index.htm?cnn=yes

“I will stop the motor of the world.” — Ayn Rand

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Some of the biggest beneficiaries of a weak dollar are domestic manufacturers who export their goods.

The dollar is weak because the Fed has slashed interest rates in the U.S. quite a bit. I don’t think the Fed made those cuts with domestic manufacturers in mind, but that’s still gov’t action that has helped manufacturers a great deal.[/quote]

you are right but that is one of the few benefits, and there are alot more reasons for a devalued dollar

This has to be the most sane thread ever