Any Hunters on T-Nation?

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Hunting and killing any wild big cat is exponentially more scummy than hunting dogs (coyotes) I mean seriously WTF?

I understand why people would protect their property from these animals, but to go out of your way to kill them is just stupid. Also try hunting with a real dog and not a beagle…

PS. I am not some liberal anti-killing animals communist. I just dont understand why people kill certain animals ie. coyotes, big cats, bears, sharks, whales, fox[/quote]

yeah thats weird. people who have a different idea of what constitutes life

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Coyote hunting is a good time. Come to South Dakota, they are everywhere. [/quote]

killing dogs is not real appealing to me. [/quote]

Then my advice to you would be - don’t go coyote hunting - you would hate it.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Hunting and killing any wild big cat is exponentially more scummy than hunting dogs (coyotes) I mean seriously WTF?

I understand why people would protect their property from these animals, but to go out of your way to kill them is just stupid. Also try hunting with a real dog and not a beagle…

PS. I am not some liberal anti-killing animals communist. I just dont understand why people kill certain animals ie. coyotes, big cats, bears, sharks, whales, fox[/quote]

Well lets see. Ranchers go out of their way to kill coyotes, because 1 calf can be worth a 1000$ on the steer market(raised to market standards). Spring lambs can be work 180$ a piece.

There is long tradition of hunting predators through out history.

Bears are actually pretty good eating. Plus, they can be a nuisance. And they make good
rugs.

Oh and forgot to mention it’s FUCKING FUN!

[quote]EZrider wrote:
Hunted Africa, Canada, Newfoundland, and all over the U.S. Love taking kids hunting and especially love bowhunting. Here is a pic of my Newfoundland Moose from my most recent hunt. We were dropped off by helicopter for a 7 day back country hunt but the weather turned bad and they couldn’t get in to get us for an additional 7 days.

We had to boil lake water and eat moose meat for that extra week as we had run out of provisions. I lost 14 lbs. so those protein diets really work…it was a great adventure.[/quote]

Awesome moose congrats! Moose meat is delicious also!

For those of you who hunt, did you learn/get into it through your family ? (i.e. dad or uncle showed you the ropes when you were young) Anyone here take up hunting purely as a self-cultivated interest with no family influence whatsoever?

Fly Fishing can’t be beat. Both freshwater and saltwater. From small pan fish to Chesapeake Bay stripers and everything in between. It NEVER gets old!!!

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:
For those of you who hunt, did you learn/get into it through your family ? (i.e. dad or uncle showed you the ropes when you were young) Anyone here take up hunting purely as a self-cultivated interest with no family influence whatsoever? [/quote]

The answer to question 2 is yes.[/quote]

I learned on my own as well.

For the anti coyote/cat hunting sentiment, around here, both are problems. Both animals cause Ranchers to lose animals, so they get hunted…

[quote]bpick86 wrote:

[quote]EZrider wrote:
Hunted Africa, Canada, Newfoundland, and all over the U.S. Love taking kids hunting and especially love bowhunting. Here is a pic of my Newfoundland Moose from my most recent hunt. We were dropped off by helicopter for a 7 day back country hunt but the weather turned bad and they couldn’t get in to get us for an additional 7 days.

We had to boil lake water and eat moose meat for that extra week as we had run out of provisions. I lost 14 lbs. so those protein diets really work…it was a great adventure.[/quote]

I would love to do some true back pack hunting. My cousin in Colorado keeps trying to get me to come out with him one year and I just haven’t done it. What did you hunt in Africa? Cape Buffalo would probably be my bucket list hunt if I had to choose one.[/quote]

Hey bpick86,
Cape Buffalo is still on my bucket list too. I went to Namibia and did mostly plains game. We hunted with archery equipment, (Mathews drenalin), and I was able to take some amazing animals. I shot the largest Eland ever killed with a bow, an amazing kudu, a record book duiker, a huge Zebra stallion, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, spring buck, wart hog, etc.
It was truly the trip of a lifetime and Africa was everything that I had dreamed it would be and more. I can’t wait to take my sons there someday.

Here’s the Kudu…

And the Zebra…it was the hardest animal to hunt out of all. It is one of the top three most difficult to hunt in Africa with a bow. They are just too smart. In Namibia these are mountain Zebra.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Also try hunting with a real dog and not a beagle…
[/quote]

OK, I understand that many people don’t “like” or “approve” of hunting. To each his/her own. But what on God’s green earth does this mean?!

[quote]Egg Head wrote:
Fly Fishing can’t be beat. Both freshwater and saltwater. From small pan fish to Chesapeake Bay stripers and everything in between. It NEVER gets old!!![/quote]

I haven’t tried the saltwater yet, but have been wanting to hit the mouth of the Chesapeake for quite a while. My brother lives down in Newport News and has landed some whoppers on regular spin casting gear.

My favorite so far is hitting little spring creeks for some big brook and brown trout that hide in the nooks and crannies. Bass and perch come in a very close second.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Egg Head wrote:
Fly Fishing can’t be beat. Both freshwater and saltwater. From small pan fish to Chesapeake Bay stripers and everything in between. It NEVER gets old!!![/quote]

I haven’t tried the saltwater yet, but have been wanting to hit the mouth of the Chesapeake for quite a while. My brother lives down in Newport News and has landed some whoppers on regular spin casting gear.

My favorite so far is hitting little spring creeks for some big brook and brown trout that hide in the nooks and crannies. Bass and perch come in a very close second.
[/quote]

If you’re out there in the next 1-2 months, the croakers should be out in full force. A 5-6wt with sinking line (or intermediate if in shallows) along with some grass shrimp and crab patterns bounced around oyster beds.

Clouser minnow patterns (chartreuse, chartreuse/white sizes: 1/0, 2, 4) along with a similar set-up/line retrieve you’d use for largemouth bass will easily land stripers.

[quote]Dr J wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
[/quote]

OK, I understand that many people don’t “like” or “approve” of hunting. To each his/her own. But what on God’s green earth does this mean?![/quote]

I was kind of wondering this myself. What constitutes a “real” dog? And you are hunting rabbits with them, how hardcore does the dog really have to be?

EZRider, Those are some awesome pictures. Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself over there, especially with a bow. On a side note, I miss my Drenalin terribly. Traded it in for a Monster and greatly miss that smooth draw cycle.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
[/quote]

OK, I understand that many people don’t “like” or “approve” of hunting. To each his/her own. But what on God’s green earth does this mean?![/quote]

I was kind of wondering this myself. What constitutes a “real” dog? And you are hunting rabbits with them, how hardcore does the dog really have to be?

EZRider, Those are some awesome pictures. Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself over there, especially with a bow. On a side note, I miss my Drenalin terribly. Traded it in for a Monster and greatly miss that smooth draw cycle.[/quote]

Yeah, I love my Drenalin…had an Outback but sold it while I was in Africa. I never could shoot it like I can the Drenalin.

As for the pics, thanks. I’ve been very blessed to get to hunt in so many places and even more blessed to have been so fortunate to be able to take so many amazing animals. I do my own taxidermy which saves a lot of $ and we built a log home so everything looks like it belongs in our house. My wife is ok with it all since she hunts too.

A Canada Bear hunt is one of the more affordable and laid back hunts you can do…

This one reminded me of my mother-in-law.