Any Hunters on T-Nation?

Just curious how many of you on here hunt (or fish)? And if so what game do you go after and how have you done this past year?

Love me some walleye fishing. Caught a 24 incher last summer and several 18-20 inchers.

Sweet, Tomorrow is last day of turkey season here so I am going to spend a large chunk of my day trying to get one, but got a catfishing trip planned for next weekend. Should be fun. Going to put out 200 jugs and bass fish the rest of the day.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:
Just curious how many of you on here hunt (or fish)? And if so what game do you go after and how have you done this past year? [/quote]

Both. Hunt dove, deer, and ducks. Mainly a duck hunter though. Fish Inshore (Trout/Reds) and Offshore.

Never been duck hunting (have been warned that it is pretty addictive though). I hunt turkey, deer, dove, squirrel, rabbit, hog, and have recently taken a pretty intense interest in coyote hunting. Enjoy any type of local fresh water fishing. Have been to Sam Rayburn and Lake Fork in the past year to fish in big bass tourneys.

Coyote hunting is a good time. Come to South Dakota, they are everywhere.

Hunt elk, deer, antelope, birds, and small game. Fish mostly for trout but occasionally for walleye (not too many in WY). Helped 2 friends get their elk this past season but did not get one myself. Did get some elk meat though.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:
Never been duck hunting (have been warned that it is pretty addictive though). I hunt turkey, deer, dove, squirrel, rabbit, hog, and have recently taken a pretty intense interest in coyote hunting. Enjoy any type of local fresh water fishing. Have been to Sam Rayburn and Lake Fork in the past year to fish in big bass tourneys.[/quote]

Duck and goose hunting is fun but I cannot make them taste good so I stopped hunting them. If anybody can make them taste good, please enlighten me.

Goose jerky is pretty tasty IMO

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Coyote hunting is a good time. Come to South Dakota, they are everywhere. [/quote]

I would love to hunt them somewhere more open. Down here in the south, the awesome long range predator rifles take a back seat to shotguns. Most places you hunt here they will be on top of you before you know that they are there and things get really frantic in a hurry.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Coyote hunting is a good time. Come to South Dakota, they are everywhere. [/quote]

I would love to hunt them somewhere more open. Down here in the south, the awesome long range predator rifles take a back seat to shotguns. Most places you hunt here they will be on top of you before you know that they are there and things get really frantic in a hurry.[/quote]

A lot of times we will run them down with snowmobiles or four wheelers. But my favorite is burning off sloughs and shooting them as they come out. Good for coons and rabbits too. We are always sure to carry a rifle in the combine during harvesting season as well and run the yotes out of the end of the field. Kill 'em all.

We raise sheep so we have no remorse when it comes to coyote hunting.

I enjoy setting up in natural blinds and calling them with mouth calls. They have decimated our rabbit population here. If you can catch them live you can actually get about 100 a head for them and they recently passed laws here allowing that by declaring them and hogs nuisance animals.

[quote]howie424 wrote:

killing dogs is not real appealing to me.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

killing dogs is not real appealing to me. [/quote]

True men don’t kill coyotes.

Hunted Africa, Canada, Newfoundland, and all over the U.S. Love taking kids hunting and especially love bowhunting. Here is a pic of my Newfoundland Moose from my most recent hunt. We were dropped off by helicopter for a 7 day back country hunt but the weather turned bad and they couldn’t get in to get us for an additional 7 days.

We had to boil lake water and eat moose meat for that extra week as we had run out of provisions. I lost 14 lbs. so those protein diets really work…it was a great adventure.

OP, what part of Mississippi are you in? I live near the coast and raised beagles and rabbit hunted for many years. I have sadly gotten out of it due to career. I really miss working with the dogs. My son is almost 14, and he’s been giving me a guilt trip about taking him. So, I may get sucked back into it.

Aggv and postholedigger, those coyotes are wreaking havoc in many places. Our rabbit and turkey populations have taken big hits in recent years, and my last beagle (12 year old gyp that I whelped and trained myself and who lived with me, literally her whole life) was recently killed by a coyote in our back yard.

I live in Brookhaven. We used to run beagles 3 or 4 times a year hear and had great success but have only been once in the past 5 years. The rabbits just aren’t really there in any appreciable numbers anymore. One of the guys that hunted with us lost 12 beagles in three years to coyotes before he quit hunting with them and just started to run trials and travel other places to hunt. The explosion in the population of coyotes was actually what started me and my dad into learning to hunt them. Try to have some form of population control.

[quote]EZrider wrote:
Hunted Africa, Canada, Newfoundland, and all over the U.S. Love taking kids hunting and especially love bowhunting. Here is a pic of my Newfoundland Moose from my most recent hunt. We were dropped off by helicopter for a 7 day back country hunt but the weather turned bad and they couldn’t get in to get us for an additional 7 days.

We had to boil lake water and eat moose meat for that extra week as we had run out of provisions. I lost 14 lbs. so those protein diets really work…it was a great adventure.[/quote]

I would love to do some true back pack hunting. My cousin in Colorado keeps trying to get me to come out with him one year and I just haven’t done it. What did you hunt in Africa? Cape Buffalo would probably be my bucket list hunt if I had to choose one.

I really enjoy hunting, haven’t done near as much as I’d like. I have hunted a lot of coyotes but its just part of farm work. I’ve hunted deer (whitetail and mule), elk, and lots of duck and dove. I would love to go on a mountain lion hunt. I recently heard about a rancher on the front range of Colorado who has a herd of American Bison (buffalo) and every other year or so he takes a bull before he cuts them and puts them out a massive pasture and sells wild buffalo hunts. That sounds pretty epic.

Hunting and killing any wild big cat is exponentially more scummy than hunting dogs (coyotes) I mean seriously WTF?

I understand why people would protect their property from these animals, but to go out of your way to kill them is just stupid. Also try hunting with a real dog and not a beagle…

PS. I am not some liberal anti-killing animals communist. I just dont understand why people kill certain animals ie. coyotes, big cats, bears, sharks, whales, fox