Any Huey Lewis Fans?

One of my most closely gaurded secrets is that I’m a huge fan of Huey Lewis and the News. For most of my life I was embarrassed of my musical taste and would not admit this to anyone (as a point of contrast, I otherwise listen mostly to rap).

The story of how this happend is funny. I got a CD player for Christmas in 1993 when I was nine. At that age I didn’t really know anything about music and wasn’t really familiar with any particular artists, so, when my mom took me to the record store to pick something out, I selected the album “SPORTS” because, well, I liked sports, and I thought the CD had a cool cover. Within a year I had collected every Huey Lewis album and video in existance, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I don’t know what it is, but you just can’t fuck with shit like “The Power of Love,” “If This is It,” “I Want a New Drug,” and “Hip to Be Square.” Classics! Haters can talk shit, but Huey Lewis is fucking badass.

I just got back from Saratoga, CA, where I saw the band live for the fourth time. I was in the second row, rockin’ out with all these 40-50 year olds around me and I didn’t even care. It was so much fun. Afterward I scored a backstage pass for $90 and I was as giddy as a 14-year old girl metting Justin Timberlake. One of the best experiences of my life.

So who else is hiding in the closet. Don’t lie. You have to admit his shit is catchy, even if corny as hell. Anyone else brave enough to admit that they like the immortal Huey Lewis and the NEWS?

“Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?”

“They’re OK.”

“Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.”

“Hey Halberstram…”

“Yes, Allen?”

“Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?”

“No, Allen.”

“Is that a rain coat?”

“Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself. Hey Paul! AHH! TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!”

[quote]Colucci wrote:

“They’re OK.”

“Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.”

“Hey Halberstram…”

“Yes, Allen?”

“Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?”

“No, Allen.”

“Is that a rain coat?”

“Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself. Hey Paul! AHH! TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!”[/quote]

This is exactly what flashed through my mind when I saw the title of this thread.

[quote]Colucci wrote:

“They’re OK.”

“Hey Halberstram…”

“Yes, Allen?”

“No, Allen.”

“Is that a rain coat?”

“Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself. Hey Paul! AHH! TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!”[/quote]

This response reminds me of “American Psycho” with christian Bale

[quote]jsal33 wrote:
Colucci wrote:

“They’re OK.”…

…Hey Paul! AHH! TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!"

This response reminds me of “American Psycho” with christian Bale[/quote]

You don’t miss a thing, do you?

" We all miss the news honey, but Huey Lewis needs time to create"

[quote]jsal33 wrote:
This response reminds me of “American Psycho” with christian Bale[/quote]

Couldn’t be because it’s a direct quote.

Hip to be Square is great 80’s shit. When I feel like diggin some 80’s Huey Lewis is on the list.