T Nation

Any Guitar Players Around Here ?

Hi, I play guitar in a band but doesn’t know a lot about amplifier technology and stuff…I need to replace the tubes in my peavey 5150 head (4x6L6 and 5x12AX7) what brand would you recommend ? Should I install them or pay for a tech ? I play heavy rock/metal by the way.

If you’re gonna replace them, why not go back to the original tubes they came with?

I remember a buddy of mine in college had a 5150 head, and he replaced the tubes and tweaked the bias and that thing screamed. Not sure what he did at this point, those are all foggy memories.

Are you sure you need new tubes?
You can have them tested from a reputable shop.
Anyway, if you need to replace them, you can order JJ tubes,
http://www.jj-electronic.sk/
contact them for a reseller in your area.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
Are you sure you need new tubes?
You can have them tested from a reputable shop.
Anyway, if you need to replace them, you can order JJ tubes,
http://www.jj-electronic.sk/
contact them for a reseller in your area.[/quote]

I’m not sure, but the tone a got quite flat and there is less power which bothers me a lot. Thanks for the link.

How old is your Peavey? I’ve noticed that the older ones seem to develop a flange effect when you turn the presence knob up high. It drops the high tones right out of the sound. Also happens when using the clean channel with pedals. Just the nature of the beast. But I’m just a bass player with a Marshall and an old Ampeg, so what do I know?

I bought it new in february 2003.

Buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier?[/quote]

and a Roland JC120.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

I sometime think about getting one, krank amps are very interesting too.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

+28000.

The 5150’s are excellent heads, though.

CHeck this place out:
www.voodooamps.com

I have owned one of their Plexis and currently one CP-100, and am thinking of getting another one of their heads. They will mod up your 5150 and make it pretty badass from everything I hear.

yeah! southpaw here, represent!

Rock on!

as far as tubes, depends on what youre lookin for…

12AX7’s and 6L6’s should work well…

[quote]PhilG wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier?

I sometime think about getting one, krank amps are very interesting too.[/quote]

Krank amps are endorsed by Dethklok.

JJ brand tubes all the way. also, if you wanna break up a little earlier maybe get some power tube saturation at lower volumes, use 6v6 instead of 6L6. Experiment! theres lots of options out there. My fender takes 12ax7s and 6L6GCs, but I have 6V6 and 12au7s in there right now… it gets that creamy brown tone im looking for.

Jim

p.s. you can install them yourself.

Personally I use a POD.

the PODs are nice, i really like line6’s products, thinking about one of their stereo combo amps.

I currently use a POD Pro in a pretty strange configuration. But before that, I used it with a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 power head and Boogie cab. I had to replace my tubes in the 50/50 once. It was super easy and did it myself (I used 6L6’s, like the ones it came with originally). Get matched pairs.

I’d like to try Krank heads, but they are pretty pricey. They sound great.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
the PODs are nice, i really like line6’s products, thinking about one of their stereo combo amps.[/quote]

The Vetta II combo is awesome. It has everything you could possibly want in a combo amp.