T Nation

Any Good Tips for a Complete Noob?

Hi guys,

I'm 25 and am about 6ft 1 and weigh 170lb...
I have quite a strange body type, I'm naturally skinnny and gangly with tiny wrists etc, but i have a pot belly and a slight double chin... basically i want to lose the gut and increase strength and muscle, espicially my arms because they are quite pathetic.

I went to the gym the other day and i was literally struggling to bench 3 x 10 reps (just with the bar, no weight) I'm not actually that weak but I struggle with freeweight and my arms get very fatigued after just a few reps, as i've been a smoker for the last 7yrs.

Do you guys have any good tips on what i should or shouldn't be doing?

I don't know what programs to follow as i don't want to bulk up because i want to lose the gut, but i don't want to do cardio because i don't want the rest of my body to get skinner...

Have you read the stickies? Those 4 threads at the top of this forum contain a wealth of info if you're just starting out.

1. Don't smoke.

2. Lift weights.

3. Eat right.

4. Get plenty of rest.

Don't worry about bulking, cutting, or anything else. Just worry about getting to the gym 3 times per week and just lift something. Be consistent and lift hard. If you read the stickies at the top of this forum you can probably come up with something. Or else you could:

1. Bench press

2. Overhead press

3. Squat

4. Deadlift

5. Bent rows

6. Curls

7. Triceps press downs.

8. Wrist curls.

Do all 3x8. Consistently. Three times per week.

Holy crap! You're me from a year ago.

First thing you should do is quit smoking.
Do that, and then come back and ask for advice. If you don't quit smoking before trying to follow any advice given to you on here, you'll be wasting your time and whatever money you might spend on food, etc.

When I quit, I used Chantix with a side of HOT-ROX for the mood elevating side-effects (counteracts the "suicidal depression" side-effect that the Chantix gave me). It apparently worked, since I've been clean since January. I stopped taking both in July, I believe.

Warheads work well as a cigarette substitute. I recommend the sour apple, it's excellent.

I used a lot of gum when I quit smoking. I can see how warheads would work as well. And a bunch of caffeine to combat depression. I just went cold-turkey though, so take that advice with a pillar of salt.

Quitting smoking is definitely helpful, but not necessary to get a better physique.

I would advise reading the stickies. Great source of information. Everything else in this thread is helpful advice too, I just wanted to echo Badunk to emphasis what a great source the stickied threads in the beginner forum are.

I could argue about why that is false but that would be a waste of your time. Theres only 1 thing you need to do right now.
Shut up and lift, you can't really get worse.