Any Good Online Laptop Deals?

I have tried the usual bigguns, Circuit City, Best Buy, New Egg, and nothing really jumps out at me. Has to be online. Anyone stumble onto anything??

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I have tried the usual bigguns, Circuit City, Best Buy, New Egg, and nothing really jumps out at me. Has to be online. Anyone stumble onto anything?[/quote]

I got mine on sale at Circuit City about a month ago. Maybe you went on the wrong day. I don’t think you will find a decent one for much under 7-800 bucks.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I have tried the usual bigguns, Circuit City, Best Buy, New Egg, and nothing really jumps out at me. Has to be online. Anyone stumble onto anything?[/quote]

What do you use computers for? Prices can change by orders of magnitude depending on your needs.

I got a hp pavillion tx 1000 (sub model 1228?) for around $1700, its a REALLY good laptop. Touch screen, bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc. For 1700 its TOTALLY worth it. Check it out.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
I got a hp pavillion tx 1000 (sub model 1228?) for around $1700, its a REALLY good laptop. Touch screen, bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc. For 1700 its TOTALLY worth it. Check it out.[/quote]

Fingerprint reader? To log on?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
I got a hp pavillion tx 1000 (sub model 1228?) for around $1700, its a REALLY good laptop. Touch screen, bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc. For 1700 its TOTALLY worth it. Check it out.

Fingerprint reader? To log on?[/quote]

Yup! Also, like lets say I open msn. This window opens up, i scan my finger, it automatically enter’s my e-mail and password. Same with anything with a username and a password. On youtube, same thing. I scan my finger, it enters the information. very useful when your feeling lazy.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ahzaz wrote:

Fingerprint reader? To log on?

Yup! Also, like lets say I open msn. This window opens up, i scan my finger, it automatically enter’s my e-mail and password. Same with anything with a username and a password. On youtube, same thing. I scan my finger, it enters the information. very useful when your feeling lazy.[/quote]

You need to post that in the Geek Shit thread. I might have to look into that.

You need to post that in the Geek Shit thread. I might have to look into that.[/quote]

Yea, they are quite fun and nice. My school got some thinkpads with the readers, so because I go to the geek school half the day, me and the actual geeks will mess with people by setting up the fingerprint scanners.
It really is pretty secure, but even better, more convenient, best of both worlds.

I’m a mac guy and I got mine refurbed from Apple’s website. Their stuff changes all the time, you have to get it while it’s hot.

Dell has a outlet

Ive seen a few that were ordered and never shipped. It comes with the same warrenty. A decent 17" laptop will run about $700.

Good luck

[quote]conorh wrote:
I’m a mac guy and I got mine refurbed from Apple’s website. Their stuff changes all the time, you have to get it while it’s hot.[/quote]

How’s it worked out for you? Any problems?

I’m a Mac dude myself. Typing this on a 12" 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook. It is three years old this week and I need a new one soon. I’m thinking of picking up an iMac and Macbook Air. But that would set me back like $3000 if I buy retail.

Um, what kind of laptop are you looking for? What price range? Specs? Any brands you want or DON’T want? That would help a ton.

[quote]eic wrote:
conorh wrote:
I’m a mac guy and I got mine refurbed from Apple’s website. Their stuff changes all the time, you have to get it while it’s hot.

How’s it worked out for you? Any problems?

I’m a Mac dude myself. Typing this on a 12" 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook. It is three years old this week and I need a new one soon. I’m thinking of picking up an iMac and Macbook Air. But that would set me back like $3000 if I buy retail. [/quote]

I use a refurbed MacBook I bought from the Apple Store for like $1000. Pentium chipset, so I have Bootcamp, and XP on it. Best money I ever spent.

I’m replacing the office computers, and I am seriously considering going mac there as well.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I use a refurbed MacBook I bought from the Apple Store for like $1000. Pentium chipset, so I have Bootcamp, and XP on it. Best money I ever spent.

I’m replacing the office computers, and I am seriously considering going mac there as well. [/quote]

Thanks, RJ. I might have to give the refurbs a look, then. God, I wish I could use a Mac at my current job. They are so much more efficient it is unbelievable. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished I could use Spotlight to find an obscure file while at work.

[quote]eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I’m replacing the office computers, and I am seriously considering going mac there as well.

Thanks, RJ. I might have to give the refurbs a look, then. God, I wish I could use a Mac at my current job. They are so much more efficient it is unbelievable. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished I could use Spotlight to find an obscure file while at work.[/quote]

I looked up the Mac Book Air and it is getting pretty negative reviews.

Newegg.com - warehouse site. Great deals.

Mac Book Air is a horrendous piece of garbage. Especially if you’re a big guy. So goddamn fragile. It’s like handling an anemic newborn. I kept thinking I was gonna snap it in half.

eic wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Thanks, RJ. I might have to give the refurbs a look, then. God, I wish I could use a Mac at my current job. They are so much more efficient it is unbelievable. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished I could use Spotlight to find an obscure file while at work.

I looked up the Mac Book Air and it is getting pretty negative reviews.[/quote]

I was creaming my pants to get the Air when it first came out, but once you start looking at it, it’s not really worth the 1700 bucks. No optical drive, shitty battery life, and the keyboard issues.

But if the price comes down - I’m probably going to buy one anyway just because of the cool factor.

Dell has some fantastic deals every once in a while, if you can wait for it. I got my laptop for 35% off, which was huge considering the original price was $2200.

EDIT:

It looks like the uncustomized inspirons are going for $1000 or lower right now. They’re all really solid, too; you can’t go wrong with a 2ghz dual core processor and 320 gb hard drive.

Fingerprint reader? To log on?[/quote]

I’m not a big fan of these. I know a couple of people with this feature built into their laptops, and they hate it. It is also easy to lift fingerprints using scotch tape, so it isn’t wonderfully secure.

Looks impressive, though.