T Nation

Any Girls?

Yeah, I’m 15 & I’ve been doing insane cardio for six months now with little weights. I now got my own Personal Trainer who told me she would love to see me go on to do Fitness Modelling but I have to cut all cardio & lift heavy. I’ve only been doing it for about a month. Are there any other youngin’s on here? :slight_smile:

Have you checked out the “Powerful Women” section of this website?

IDK about how young some of them are but, there are PLENTY of strong and knowledgable females over there. Stick your nose out there and ask for advice!

Plus, like most teenagers, eating well (and plenty) is the key, along with lifting heavy, since your metabolism is probably out of this world. There are other websites as well that have good women content for lifting, but I don’t want to go against Biotests’ board policies by advertising.

There are women on here… not sure about girls.

Welcome. There’s a lot of good stuff here, and a lot of knowledgeable people.

[quote]killinitx3 wrote:
Yeah, I’m 15 & I’ve been doing insane cardio for six months now with little weights. I now got my own Personal Trainer who told me she would love to see me go on to do Fitness Modelling but I have to cut all cardio & lift heavy. I’ve only been doing it for about a month. Are there any other youngin’s on here? :-)[/quote]

Hi there. Can’t think of any other women here your age but there are plenty of strong females. There are some really good logs over in the Powerful Women section to read through but it’s not an overly active section now. You’re in the beginner section and that’s a great place to start. Plus you have some of the really knowledgeable, mostly guys, that pop in and give advice like Chris Colucci and and Chris87 plus many others.

If I can let you in on a secret - men and women don’t really need to train all that differently. I have used variations of training templates that would be considered mostly for male powerlifters for years and I have put plenty of muscle mass.

Whatever questions you have, post away and you will receive tons of helpful advice. It’s nice to see a young lady showing some love for the iron. Stick with it and I guarantee that you will love it!

[quote]killinitx3 wrote:
Yeah, I’m 15 & I’ve been doing insane cardio for six months now with little weights. I now got my own Personal Trainer who told me she would love to see me go on to do Fitness Modelling but I have to cut all cardio & lift heavy. I’ve only been doing it for about a month. Are there any other youngin’s on here? :-)[/quote]

Why would your trainer tell you to cut all cardio? If the goal is fitness modeling, which requires a low body fat, then this is a horrible idea.

I know your 15, and you’re posting in the beginner’s section so I don’t blame you for not knowing any different, but if you want to do fitness modeling (ir just be in shape, be strong, whatever your goal is) then I suggest you start reading up on it (from credible sources) and learning all you can.

Then when you have a good idea of what to do, fire your trainer. An extremely strong man named Jim Wendler once said “If you want to go to Chicago, get in the car and start driving. You see a sign on the way”

I dunno, the chick on Keifer’s cite, WBFF Pro Alex Navarro, supposedly crushed her last figure comp with zero cardio and heavy weights. Google “Alex Navarro’s Quest for World’s Domination”.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I dunno, the chick on Keifer’s cite, WBFF Pro Alex Navarro, supposedly crushed her last figure comp with zero cardio and heavy weights. Google “Alex Navarro’s Quest for World’s Domination”.[/quote]

I’m not saying it can’t be done, but why mess with what has worked for pretty much every fitness model ever? I just doubt that her trainer knows what they are doing, since their first word of advice was to stop all cardio, when their client wants to have a low body fat percentage.

I think its tough to evaluate whether her trainer knows what he/she is doing without more information. That’s a pretty big claim. Her trainer might want her to pack on some muscle right now and isn’t worried about BF% at the moment, or she might have alternative strategies for getting lean. The last Meadows podcast I listened to, he was walking around at 4% post-contest and he talked about dumping most of his cardio as well except right down the stretch, pre-contest as needed only to dump some glycogen.

It also depends on what she means by “cardio.” I don’t consider HIIT or energy-systems work like barbell complexes and sprints to be “cardio” but some people toss the word “cardio” around loosely to mean anything that isn’t heavy lifting. There are lots of ways to get lean without steady-state cardio.

I just don’t want to shake the OP’s confidence in her trainer if it is unjustified.