T Nation

Any Gains When One Mixes Up Exercises?

I mean, if you do weighted muscle-up you do weighted pullups, shoulder internal rotation and dips in one exercise. Are there any gains from such mixed up exercises? What about w.pull-ups with leg lifts, leg extensions(with weights attached to feet) with doing sit-ups or bench press on a bench simultaneously(at the same time), reverse hyperextensions and lying rows at the same seconds(like you lift both legs and dumbbells in hands),

I mean, if you put aside the obvious awkwardness(and I train at my basement so no one sees me), one can really save time with this method, however I don’t know if there will be any strength or mass gains. Like you can attach weights to feet on hyperextension bench, lying on it do a ham curl, leave feet raised, do a reverse hyperextension with this weight (maybe not max weight but still some training), and while doing this also perform a rear delt row with your arms. Job is eating my time, so if this kind of training works, (even if you can’t do it with all muscles) it would be great.

Also it demands more energy, maybe there will be more natural testosterone etc generated in body with it(like “big muscles generate a lot of natural anabolics”, maybe few small muscles together generate the same amount of testosterone etc)?

No to everything you said

Yes, if you mix up certain exercises that can lead to gains…what you have to bear in mind though is that just because something works doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s working OPTIMALLY.

If the issue is a lack of time, you would be a lot better served by one of the following:

Some exercises work very well combined and others don’t.

A good one is a power clean to push press. Most people don’t power clean that much more than they push press if they dedicate themselves to both lifts. The transition is also very smooth.

With a muscle up, there’s a lot of skill involved beyond just the strength and muscle. If you want to be able to do muscle ups because they’re cool, great, but I would do dips and chin ups separately so I can focus on what I’m trying to build than the movement itself since muscle ups aren’t something I wanna be good at all that much.

I don’t like thrusters because they don’t challenge the lower body enough.

Regular hypers with a row at peak contraction feels a lot like a deadlift minus the leg drive and massive systemic fatigue. I’ve never known or seen any strong or muscular people make it their bread and butter but could be something useful at some point. I like them for P-chain and upper back building when I’m giving my “CNS” and joints a break.

If you’re just super pressed for time, try power clean to push press to front squat. After the leg drive for the power clean and push press, the weight for me is enough to make the front squat as challenging as the preceding movements.

Supersets save a lot of time. Just don’t do anything crazy like supersetting heavy romanian DLs with heavy back squats. You could superset squats with leg curls. Do another superset of chins and dips and voila you’ve trained you’re whole body.

You can do circuits too. Maybe something like some sort of barbell squat, leg curls with bands, chin ups or fat man rows if your rack doesn’t have a chin bar, and weighted push ups. You only need the one power rack, barbell and weights, chin bar or a bench to put your feet on if subbing fat man rows, and the band for leg curls.

I think this is a great solution. Using another of Dan John’s little hypotheticals (“What would you do if you could only train 15 minutes, three days a week?”) this was basically always what I landed on, if I were ever faced with that situation.

Another spin inspired by the Dan John minimalistic approach: load the bar to 135 pounds and start with a single power clean and five push presses. Add some weight (155?) and repeat for three push presses. Add some more weight (185?) and repeat with just one push press. Now take the same weight (185?) and just power clean for five reps, no push pressing. Add some more weight (205?) and power clean for three reps. Add some more weight (225?) and power clean for one rep. Add some more weight (275?) and deadlift for 20 reps as your finishing set for some volume. That whole thing can be done within 15 minutes, no need for anything but a bar and sufficient plates, and probably leaves most people pretty well worked over.

That just sounds simplistic, brutal, and horrific… I like it!

I did that basic template for a couple years in graduate school when my schedule usually took me to the gym at crowded hours, when it could be hard to get a squat rack or a bench. I figured that as long as I could get a barbell and a couple feet of space, I would always be able to do this progression: three sets of clean-and-push-press working my way from 135-185, three sets of just cleans working my way from 185-225, and then a set of high-rep deadlifts at 275 to finish me off. It’s a terrific way to keep basic all-around strength with limited time and/or equipment.