Any Freegans Here?

Freegans are scavengers of the developed world, living off consumer waste in an effort to minimize their support of corporations and their impact on the planet, and to distance themselves from what they see as out-of-control consumerism.

http://freegan.info

May be there’s some free supps out there:)

So does that mean you yourself are a freegan, or are you simply liking the idea of acquiring free discarded goods?
Dunno about your chances getting free supplements but who knows.

I like this idea, but I am too concerned about my nutrition to eat random stuff from the garbage
I don’t like to buy stuff too

Wow, I guess it takes more work than I thought to be an ethical/good person. :confused: nice world we live in huh?

NYC hipster bums?

[quote]ron-e wrote:
NYC hipster bums? [/quote]

Yeah pretty much.

Anyone in their right mind knows that you risk disease by consuming discarded foods.

But re-using discarded furniture, clothes, art sounds reasonable… if you choose to live like that. But there are still risks. Cockroaches often lay eggs in crevices of objects. You may bring home a bookshelf today, and tomorrow realize it’s really a cockroach condominium.

I remember when I was a kid there was a different term used to describe people living off of other people’s discarded goods … they were called bums … or the homeless

Fuckin’ Freegans … seriously?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I remember when I was a kid there was a different term used to describe people living off of other people’s discarded goods … they were called bums … or the homeless

Fuckin’ Freegans … seriously?[/quote]

Not quite, many of them have degrees from college and such…

One of the teachers in my middle school did that religiously.
He just retired at the age of 40 something.

[quote]bicepenvy wrote:
polo77j wrote:

You think no bums or homeless have “degrees from college”?

[quote]bicepenvy wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Whatever, it just reminds me of that episode of It’s Always Sunny where Charlie and Frank start hording other peoples refuse … that’s all I can picture

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Anyone in their right mind knows that you risk disease by consuming discarded foods.

But re-using discarded furniture, clothes, art sounds reasonable… if you choose to live like that. But there are still risks. Cockroaches often lay eggs in crevices of objects. You may bring home a bookshelf today, and tomorrow realize it’s really a cockroach condominium.
[/quote]

No kidding. And bedbugs. When I see discarded furniture I mentally puke a little just thinking of all the bugs and germs on it.

Many of my friends do this. Though, to be fair they are quite careful about what they consume and bring into their homes. Most of the time they have the routines of grocery stores down and get goods the day they are discarded.

As you can imagine, meat and dairy products are not typically scavenged. Vegetables are usually pretty easy to tell if they are good or not. Packaged food like snack cakes and whatnot get thrown out because they are crushed not because they go bad.

I’ve never done the food thing, but I scavenge everything else I can _i’d call it being thrifty, freegan sounds a bit trendy. Right now I just moved into 2 bedroom apartment and have gotten 4 couches, 2 tvs, desk, 2 dressers with mirrors, bed and matress, wooden futon frame, and two end tables from people throwing the stuff out. Sold one of the tvs and couches…However once I’m wealthy I don’t really plan on doing this anymore.

[quote]bicepenvy wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Freegan Way Of Life (CBS News) - YouTube [/quote]

So do many of the hobos and homeless.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
bicepenvy wrote:
polo77j wrote:

You think no bums or homeless have “degrees from college”?

[/quote]

No I was just pointing out that so called bums aren’t the only ones scavenging. many freegans live in very nice homes.