Any Experince with Online Coaching?

I’ve been thinking of trying some online coaching from someone who lives and breaths iron sports. I’m tried of wanting to Deadlift 500+ lbs, i wanted to do it for years. I actually have a shirt hung up in my weight room that reads the 500 Pound Deadlift club but won’t dare to wear it. :slight_smile:

Anyhow, i just emailed the RTS team about there coaching. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I’m sure i could do this myself - maybe that’s the problem - but i train alone and would love the support and knowledge.

I have nothing against online coaching. Nothing at all. But, I don’t see how you can’t find a program that others have claimed and proven success with and make it your own. Westside works for a lot of folks. Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” is another proven program. Hell, 5/3/1 is ultra-effective for tons of folks. I have no doubt that the coaches at RTS will be able to help you and work with you. No question at all. I just personally would want to save my money for something like a prowler or some accessory that, again, has proven it’s worth to so many others.

Could it be that you haven’t stuck with a program long enough to make it effective? Or maybe you just are impatient about the timing of how long it takes some people to get to 500?

Those questions aren’t meant to point fingers at you but rather just to guage where you are.

[quote]dumbbellhead wrote:
I have nothing against online coaching. Nothing at all. But, I don’t see how you can’t find a program that others have claimed and proven success with and make it your own. Westside works for a lot of folks. Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” is another proven program. Hell, 5/3/1 is ultra-effective for tons of folks. I have no doubt that the coaches at RTS will be able to help you and work with you. No question at all. I just personally would want to save my money for something like a prowler or some accessory that, again, has proven it’s worth to so many others.

Could it be that you haven’t stuck with a program long enough to make it effective? Or maybe you just are impatient about the timing of how long it takes some people to get to 500?

Those questions aren’t meant to point fingers at you but rather just to guage where you are.[/quote]

Yeah patience might have something to do with it. But i run out of it! :smiley:

Money is not really an issue.

I actually bought the 5/3/1 ebook. Personally i feel the freqency for the main lifts is too low. Much to low. It won’t work for me at any rate.

Why the hell would i wait a week to squat again after doing 3x5 with sub maximal weight?

Edit: My post is not a question about cookie cutter programs. I’m wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with any online coaches for getting stronger.

Yes. I have… from this site.

I have asked for help from numerous persons with experience… specifically in the “over 35” section of this site, and the information/ experience I received was invaluable.

I can help you… as can numerous other persons… Marauder Meat, Jowee, Big Bencher, Sensgirl, O’boile, PeteS, Ourboro, Dacharming Albino just to name a few, pretty much anyone and everyone on the over 35 site.

I don’t know how old you are, or what your experience is, but… give this site a shot first… and train hard before you look forthe magic pill my newfie friend :slight_smile:

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
Yes. I have… from this site.

I have asked for help from numerous persons with experience… specifically in the “over 35” section of this site, and the information/ experience I received was invaluable.

I can help you… as can numerous other persons… Marauder Meat, Jowee, Big Bencher, Sensgirl, O’boile, PeteS, Ourboro, Dacharming Albino just to name a few, pretty much anyone and everyone on the over 35 site.

I don’t know how old you are, or what your experience is, but… give this site a shot first… and train hard before you look forthe magic pill my newfie friend :)[/quote]

Thanks.

Sometimes when you listen to one person and actually pay for it you will commit more to it. It’s nice and stress free to let someone else take charge. I’m actually thinking of doing this now myself. It’s also easy to get blinded by experience and knowledge.

RTS is awesome and Mike T puts an awesome program together. I dont know if it is still the same, but my buddy e-mailed him weekly and got weekly updates when he had a program written for him.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Sometimes when you listen to one person and actually pay for it you will commit more to it. It’s nice and stress free to let someone else take charge. I’m actually thinking of doing this now myself. It’s also easy to get blinded by experience and knowledge.[/quote]

True that… and Shave, you are also right… if one was to do the on line thing, Reactive would be one of the top choices.

All I am saying is (at the ops own admission) one should find what works/ does not work for them… and what their goals are before throwing their $$$ at it.

An online coach is beneficial if they can properly assess you and address your movement patterns, weaknesses, strengths, and make them work for your goals. That is something that just ‘following a program’ cannot do. If I were to get an online coach, I would be taping all of my main sets and expecting them to critique form and offer cues etc

See if you can edit your title to include “RTS”. There are a few guys on this site that use/have used his programs so they may be more likely to read your question if they know it’s RTS specific.

I haven’t used RTS but from the little I’ve heard it does work but it can be extremely tough.

On a side note, are you around St. John’s? I think that’s where Tom Kean trains (Goulds? maybe). He’s one of the best lifters in the country. I’m kind of guessing where he based on a comment he posted in another forum, but he’s easy to get in touch with.

I’d just make sure they are aware of and in line with your goals. I tried an online coach once - I said “I want to drop weight and still be a powerlifter.” He had me on 1200 calories a day, repping 135x15 on deads. He did great things for my friends who wanted to do figure and bodybuilding, but he had no idea what to do with me.

[quote]gabex wrote:
An online coach is beneficial if they can properly assess you and address your movement patterns, weaknesses, strengths, and make them work for your goals. That is something that just ‘following a program’ cannot do. If I were to get an online coach, I would be taping all of my main sets and expecting them to critique form and offer cues etc[/quote]

That would be one of the main pros to coaching. RTS states on its website they would like to see vids of the lifts but its up to the client.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
See if you can edit your title to include “RTS”. There are a few guys on this site that use/have used his programs so they may be more likely to read your question if they know it’s RTS specific.

I haven’t used RTS but from the little I’ve heard it does work but it can be extremely tough.

On a side note, are you around St. John’s? I think that’s where Tom Kean trains (Goulds? maybe). He’s one of the best lifters in the country. I’m kind of guessing where he based on a comment he posted in another forum, but he’s easy to get in touch with.

[/quote]

I heard that name before. I’m moving to st. johns in a week but its 30-40 from goulds. Justin Miller is in around st. johns too. He’s a younger guy put he’s done some serious lifts. I really never thought of a local coach! That said i’m 3.5 hours from “town”, right now. That’s what we call St. johns. :slight_smile:

I am partial to RTS eventhough i was asking for suggestions of any powerlifting coaches. From the bit i read about RTS its high frequency which i enjoy the most.

If you are serious about going with RTS, buy the book if you don’t have it. It is worth it. It is a lot of auto-regulation, if the plan is to to something @8 or @9 don’t push beyond that to feed your ego. It can be difficult if you are use to going “all out” for every workout. I didn’t go to failure or miss a lift for 10 weeks and all my lifts went up.

Where is your Deadlift right now? Even a solid program that is designed by an expert will require time and dedication. Sure the advice of a seasoned vet helps, in fact it helps a lot, but even with that advice it takes time to get stronger.

Are you making progress with your current program? If you are maybe you should stick with it. If not find out why and make the necessary changes and or change programs all together.

Is your technique solid? The only time I’ve ever experienced signigicant jumps in strength is when my technique improved. Otherwise you can’t expect to make a 50-100lbs jump in a short amount of time. I’m not trying to talk you out of RTS because it’s a great program, but you need to have realistic expectations.

Since you train alone you should get a video camera and tape your lifts. I train alone quite a bit and the video feedback helps a lot.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
Where is your Deadlift right now? Even a solid program that is designed by an expert will require time and dedication. Sure the advice of a seasoned vet helps, in fact it helps a lot, but even with that advice it takes time to get stronger.

Are you making progress with your current program? If you are maybe you should stick with it. If not find out why and make the necessary changes and or change programs all together.

Is your technique solid? The only time I’ve ever experienced signigicant jumps in strength is when my technique improved. Otherwise you can’t expect to make a 50-100lbs jump in a short amount of time. I’m not trying to talk you out of RTS because it’s a great program, but you need to have realistic expectations.

Since you train alone you should get a video camera and tape your lifts. I train alone quite a bit and the video feedback helps a lot. [/quote]

Yeah i need a camera. I just received an email from the head of the PL association here, they are putting off a clinic for the powerlifts late January!

I’ve been making good gains but what someone to look at my technique, that i trust.

I Deadlifted 402 twice since i started training again in Oct - both where pretty smooth. First time i trained consistently in over a year.

[quote]canada wrote:
That said i’m 3.5 hours from “town”, right now. That’s what we call St. johns. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I’m originally from PEI so I’m well familiar with Town… and “Townies”.

Also, go to that powerlifting clinic, you’ll likely meet a few fairly good local lifters there.

I actually bought the 5/3/1 ebook. Personally i feel the freqency for the main lifts is too low. Much to low. It won’t work for me at any rate.

Why the hell would i wait a week to squat again after doing 3x5 with sub maximal weight?

Edit: My post is not a question about cookie cutter programs. I’m wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with any online coaches for getting stronger.[/quote]

Jim did deadlift 700lbs and Squat 1000lbs plus anybody who used it have had major sucess. I think you dont have patience or you are not willing to work for it.

I went ahead with RTS coaching i’ve very excited! I’ll let everyone know how i make out, if anyone cares !! :smiley:

5/3/1 works i just i want something that works faster. I work onboard ships so i have extended times away from the iron. But went i’m home i can train everyday!