T Nation

Any Experience with Retinol for Acne?

I know many have experience with Accutane, and claim that they cleared their Acne up permanently, But does anyone have experience with retinol, which is essentially topical Accutane?

since upping my dose, I’ve experienced a bit of acne. But I don’t want to take Accutane due to the long-term side effects. I’d rather exhaust other options first, so I’ve been thinking about taking retinol.

For those who have taken it, what was your experience like? Does it permanently shrink the sebum glands like Accutane does?

I know many have experience with Accutane, and claim that they cleared their Acne up permanently, But does anyone have experience with retinol, which is essentially topical Accutane?

since upping my dose, I’ve experienced a bit of acne. But I don’t want to take Accutane due to the long-term side effects. I’d rather exhaust other options first, so I’ve been thinking about taking retinol.

For those who have taken it, what was your experience like? Does it permanently shrink the sebum glands like Accutane does?

Alba acnedote works awesome for me. You could give it a try.

Can you post the Amazon link for it

What’s up with all the fearmongering with 'tane…

I’ll tell you this if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I’ve tried everything and the only thing that did what it was supposed to do was accutane or isotretinoin to be more specific, cuz where I live it’s not named accutane.

Anyway, I took 80mg a day and it was bad experience had to quit. Then second time I took 60mg still it was pretty bad. Then third time’s charm I took 20mg and damn thing took a month to start working but it cleared me up so good and I can honestly say the only side effect is dry lips.

I don’t use Amazon, but here is the link for Target

Little bro had bad acne and the dermatologist recommended retinol at first. Tried it and didn’t do anything

He then switched to a benzoyl peroxide face wash (generic drug store brand) and things cleared right up. The downside was that it irritated his eyelids

Acutane was brought up but apparently it isn’t great for the liver and his acne wasn’t considered bad enough to warrant it

Retinols are a hit or miss for a lot of folks.

I’d say try your luck with this list (in no particular order):

Adepalene gel
AHA
BHA
Benzoyl peroxide (or any similar peroxide formulations)
Salicylic acid
Hyaluronic acid
Glycolic Acid
Lactic Acid
Anything with an appreciable amount of peptides
Alpha Arbutin

There’s a lot more but I’ve found these to be what most people are somewhat familiar with.

I’d also just go ahead and say it would be a good idea to develope a skin care routine. It doesn’t have to be very rigorous, but it’s definitely going to help with acne, and the further prevention of it.

Retinoids are exfoliants. It’s not anything to do with shrinking sebum glands, or anything to do with interference of the production of sebum. They simply take away from the outermost top layer of your skin. The parts where dead skin cells, sweat, oil, and dirt tend to irritate and clog pores. Retinoids help provide a clean surface for other topical creams that help with inflammation reduction, pH restoration, allow for the production of new skin cells to form, etc.

Im pretty hell bent on good skin care so you’re more than welcome to ask me whatever you want. I’m not a dermatologist or anything, but I’ve spent more than enough time, effort, and money making sure my skin is consistently clear year to year.

1 Like